Sun Sign: Aquarius
Born in: Tandil, Argentina
Famous as: Current President of Argentina
Spouse/Ex-: Yvonne Bordeu (1981–1991) Isabel Menditeguy
father: Francisco Macri
children: Agustina, Antonia, Francisco, Jimena
Founder/Co-Founder: Commitment to Change
education: Pontifical Catholic University of Argentina, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, University of CEMA, Columbia Business School
Mauricio Macri is an Argentine politician and the current president of the country. Before becoming president, Macri served his term as the Chief of Government of Buneos Aires for seven years. He was also the 30th chairman of the famous Argentine football club ‘Boca Juniors’. His foray into politics was initiated by an unfortunate event that happened when Marci was 32 years of age. He was kidnapped by a few corrupt officers of the Federal Police and was freed after a payment of a multi-million dollar ransom. He founded Argentina’s first competitive political party ‘Propuesta Republicana’ (PRO). As the president of the nation, Macri vowed to improve the country’s economic solvency and heal its problematic international relations with other countries and multiparty institutions. He also plans to realign Argentina’s foreign policy so that he could improve trade relations with the ‘Pacific Alliance’ of Chile, Mexico, Columbia and Peru. His government has been successful in creating a strategy by the name of ‘Plan Belgrano’ which focuses on promoting industrial and infrastructural development in ten Northern provinces of Argentina.
- Mauricio Macri was born on February 8, 1959, in Tandil, Buenos Aires to Francisco Macri and Alicia Blanco Villegas.His father Franco was an Italian-born businessman and the founder of Argentina’s most influential corporate company, Macri Group.He received his high-school diploma from the Cardinal Newman College in San Isidro.Macri studied Civil Engineering at the Pontificial Catholic University of Argentina in Buenos Aires.He joined the Union of the Democratic Centre party to follow his interest in neo-liberalism.In 1985, he аttеndеd academic соurѕеѕ at Cоlumbiа Buѕinеѕѕ Sсhооl, Whаrtоn School (оf thе Univеrѕitу оf Pеnnѕуlvаniа) and Universidad dеl CEMA.Macri’s decision of pursuing a political career was ignited after he was kidnapped in 1991 by a gang of corrupt police officers. He was held for two weeks and his father had to pay a ransom of $6 million.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Macri started his career as a junior analyst in SIDECO Americana S.A., a construction company belonging to his father's group of companiesIn 1984, he joined the credit department of Citibank Argentina, in Buenos Aires.The same year, he joined Socma and by next year, he became a general manager of the company.In 1992 he became the vice president of an automobile company, Sevel Argentina, and climbed to the post of President of the company in 1994.In 1995, Macri became the president of Boca Juniors, Argentina’s most famous football club.He was re-elected again in 1999 and 2003. He included talented players like Martín Palermo and Juan Román Riquelme in the club and under his leadership Boca Juniors went through its most successful phase.In 2003 Macri made entry into politics by founding the centre-right party ‘Compromiso para el Cambio’.Continue Reading BelowThe same year he ran for the post of the mayor of the City of Buenos Aires but lost the runoff election to his opponent Aníbal Ibarra.In 2005, he created a right-wing electoral front called ‘Propuesta Republicana’ (PRO) and successfully ran in the City of Buenos Aires for the Chamber of Deputies where he won with 33.9% of the votes.In February 2007 Macri again ran for the mayoral elections of the City of Buenos Aires. On June 2, 2007, he won the first round of election with 45.6% of votes over Daniel Filmus. In the runoff, he won again, this time with 60.96% of the votes.In 2011, he ran for the post of mayor again. He won the runoff against Filmus again on 31 July with 64.25% of the votes, this time.Macri contested for the post of the President of Argentina in the year 2015. The initial opinion polls showed a three-way tie among Macri, the Kirchnerite governor Daniel Scioli, and the mayor of Tigre Sergio Massa. However, On 22 November 2015, results revealed that Macri had defeated Peronist candidate Daniel Scioli, with 51.34% of the vote.As part of his presidential campaign, Macri met with the presidents of Brazil, Santiago de Chile and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.Mauricio Macri took the office of the president of Argentina on 10 December 2015. The ceremony started from his apartment in Recoleta and ended at the National Congress of Argentina.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- As president of Boca Juniors, Marci led the club to many prestigious victories, including six biannual championships and four Copa Libertadores de América titles.Marci’s administration revamped the public transport system in Buenos Aires. A Bu Rapid Transit network was built; along with lots of tunnels to improve traffic flow.As part of the economic policy reforms, Marci’s administration removed the previous currency controls and also removed taxes on exports of grain, beef and fish. The reforms met both praise and disapproval.Personal Life & Legacy
- Mauricio Macri married his first wife Ivonne Bordeu in 1981. They had two daughters (Augustina and Gimena) and a son, Francisco together. The couple divorced in 1991.He was married Isabel Menditeguy in 1994 but the couple separated in 1997.Macri and his current spouse Juliana Awada, a textiles businesswoman, met at the Ocampo Gym through mutual friends. They got married on October 10, 2011. The couple resides at Quinta de Olivos.Trivia
- In his wedding party, Macri wore a fake moustache to mimic singer Freddie Mercury. But he accidentally swallowed the moustache, and the Minister of Health Jorge Lemus had to rescue him.
How To CiteArticle Title- Mauricio Macri BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/mauricio-macri-6934.phpLast Updated- July 31, 2017
People Also Viewed