Prince Royce Biography
Geoffrey Royce Rojas, popularly known as Prince Royce, is an American singer and songwriter who came into the Latin pop mainstream in 2010. He made his debut in early 2010 with the release of his studio album named after himself, after which he quickly climbed the ladders of success within the next few years. Born and raised in the Bronx, New York City, he wanted to be a singer from his early years. From the age of fifteen, along with a friend and partner, he began making music. His life came to a turning point after he met Andrés Hidalgo and Sergio George and the latter signed him to his record label. Featuring two of his successful singles, he released his debut album in 2010. It was an instant hit, reaching number one on the US Billboard Latin Albums. He released his next album 'Phase II', and third album 'Soy el Mismo' in 2012 and 2013 respectively. Along with having several albums to his name, Royce has won 67 awards and 156 nominations which undoubtedly makes him one of America's most successful and talented upcoming singers. He has also made a few appearances in TV shows such as 'East Los High', an American TV series for teens that aired on the Hulu Network.
- Prince Royce was born as Geoffrey Royce Rojas, on 11 May 1989, in the Bronx, the northernmost borough in New York City. His father was a cab driver while his mother worked at a beauty salon. They have four children, Royce being the second one. Both his parents were from the Dominican Republic, which can explain why he is mostly attracted towards Bachata music.He started competing in talent shows during his school days, along with taking part in choir. He also began writing poetry, which later turned into songwriting.Continue Reading BelowYou May LikeRecommended Lists:
- At the age of fifteen, Geoffrey Royce Rojas began making his own music. Soon, Royce met Andrés Hidalgo, who was hugely impressed by his demo, and became his manager. Later, he was introduced to Sergio George, who after listening to three of his demos, immediately signed him to his record label 'Top Stop Music'.On March 2010, he released his debut album 'Prince Royce' which became an instant hit. It transformed him from an aspiring artist to a musical star within a short period. The album stood at Number 1 on the US Billboard Tropical Albums Chart. It also eventually reached Number 1 on the US Latin Albums. It became one of the most popular albums of the year, and earned Royce several awards and nominations.His second studio album ‘Phase II’ was released in April 2012. It incorporated various music styles including Bachata to Mariachi. It included singles such as ‘Las Cosas Pequeñas,’ ‘Incondicional,’ and ‘Te Me Vas.’ Like his previous album, it became a huge success, debuting at number one on the Billboard Tropical Albums Chart. Later it also reached number one on the Billboard Latin Albums Chart.Later, he signed a record deal with Sony Music Entertainment for the release of his third studio album 'Soy el Mismo'. Featuring singles such as ‘Darte un Beso’ and ‘Te Robaré,’ the album was released on October 8, 2013, and stood at Number 1 on the US Tropical Albums chart.In 2015, Prince Royce contributed a song 'My Angel' to the popular American action movie 'Fast & Furious 7'. Directed by James Wan, the film was a huge commercial success, becoming the third highest grossing film of 2015, and the eighth highest grossing film of all time.His fourth studio album 'Double Vision’ was released in July 2015. Also his first album to be primarily recorded in English, it includes singles such as ‘Stuck on a Feeling' which featured Snoop Dog, and ‘Back It Up’ which featured Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull. It peaked at Number 21 on the US Billboard 200, and at Number 39 on the Mexican Albums Chart.Prince Royce has appeared in several TV programs such as 'La Voz Kids', and 'The Passion'. In 2016, he made an appearance in 'East Los High', a TV series which aired on the Hulu Network. The show, which was directed by Carlos Portugal, has been running since 2013. In 2016, he also played Saint Peter in 'The Passion', an American music TV special, which was broadcast by Fox. Directed by David Grifhorst, the show was loved by the audience, and became the second-highest rated show of the night.His latest studio album 'Five' was released on 24 February 2017, by Sony Music Latin. Debuting at number 25 on the Billboard 200, it was a huge hit. It sold 19,000 units in the US during the first week of its release.Major Works
- 'Prince Royce', the first studio album of Royce is among his most significant and most successful works. It debuted at Number 16 on the Billboard Latin Albums chart, and peaked at Number 1 on both the US Billboard Tropical Albums and Latin Albums charts. Its lead single was 'Stand by Me', a remake of a 1961 song by American soul singer Ben E. King. Other singles in the album included 'Corazón Sin Cara' and 'Rock the Pants'.In 2016, Royce appeared in 'The Passion', an American music TV special, which aired on Fox Network. The show was a contemporary retelling of the ‘Passion of Jesus Christ.’ Narrated by Tyler Perry, it starred several musicians including Prince Royce, Jencarlos Canela, Trisha Yearwood, and Chris Daughtry. The show became the second-highest rated show of the night. It received mostly mixed reviews from critics.Awards & Achievements
- Prince Royce has received 18 Billboard Latin Music Awards so far including Latin Artist of the Year, New (2011), Hot Latin Songs Artist of the Year (2012), Tropical Songs Artist of the Year, Solo (2013), and Latin Pop Songs Artist of the Year, Solo (2014).The Latin Songwriters Hall of Fame’s La Musa Award was presented to him in 2013.Personal Life & Legacy
- Prince Royce has been dating actress Emeraude Toubia since 2011. The couple confirmed their relationship in April 2016.Trivia
- Despite his name, and the fact that he achieved much success at a young age, Royce is quite humble natured.
How To CiteArticle Title- Prince Royce BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/prince-royce-31549.phpLast Updated- March 27, 2017
People Also Viewed