Melanie Hamrick Biography
Born in: Williamsburg, Virginia
Famous as: Ballet Dancer
father: John Hamrick
mother: Anne Hamrick
siblings: Chris Hamric, Rachel Hamrick
children: Deveraux Octavian Basil Jagger
Partner: Mick Jagger (2014–)
U.S. State: Virginia
education: Kirov Academy of Ballet
Melanie Hamrick is an American ballet dancer, who is best known for her relationship with Mick Jagger. She joined the 'American Ballet Theatre’ at a young age and eventually became a prominent associate there. The talented dancer performed in several ballets for the theatre before debuting as a ballet choreographer in 2019. Her ballet piece is a beautiful amalgamation of dance and compositions by Mick Jagger, with whom she shares a special relationship. She is Mick's girlfriend and the mother of his son. She is more than 40 years his junior, but the age gap doesn’t seem to come in the way of their relationship. Since the 'Rolling Stones' frontman already had seven children from his previous relationships, the news of Melanie’s pregnancy was met with a little apprehension from his side. But he promised to be by her side throughout the pregnancy and made legal arrangements to take care of their unborn child's expenses. Melanie became a mother of a baby boy in 2016. She resumed her ballet career within months of her delivery, showing her commitment to the dance form. She is one of the only two women who came back to work at ABT after giving birth. However, ballet has slid to the second spot on Melanie's priority list following her son's arrival.
- Melanie Hamrick was born in 1987 in Williamsburg, Virginia. Her father John Hamrick served as an engineering firm director, while her mother Anne Hamrick is a housewife. She lost her father in 2015. Melanie has two younger siblings, named Chris Hamrick and Rachel Hamrick.
- Melanie received her first ballet lessons at the 'Eastern Virginia School for the Performing Arts.' After gaining some command on the craft, she moved to Washington, D.C. where she attended the 'Kirov Academy of Ballet' (now known as the 'University Ballet Academy') for five years. At 'Kirov,' she polished her skills under disciplinarian and demanding mentors. At the age of 12, Melanie participated in 'Youth America Grand Prix' (YAGP), the world's largest ballet scholarship competition. Twenty years after performing in the debut season of YAGP, she choreographed a piece for its anniversary celebration.
- Melanie Hamrick started her career as a professional ballet dancer with the summer accelerated programs at the 'School of American Ballet.' After serving at the institution for a few years, she joined the 'American Ballet Theatre' in September 2003. In April 2004, Melanie advanced in the industry by joining the 'corps de ballet' of the 'American Ballet Theatre.' She received her first dance contract at the age of 18, and it was a Balanchine ballet. Since then, she has performed in several notable ballet routines for ABT. Some of them are 'Sylvia,' 'Les Sylphides,' 'The Sleeping Beauty,' 'Romeo and Juliet,' 'The Nutcracker,' 'Lady of the Camellias,' and 'Don Quixote.' She also received praise for her featured roles in ballets like 'From Here On Out,' 'Everything Doesn't Happen at Once,' 'Duets,' 'Gong,' 'After You,' and 'AfterEffect' (2015). She played a leading role in 'Dark Elegies.' At ABT, all of her performances were sponsored by the real estate mogul Brian Fisher and his interior designer wife, Joanna.
- She uses the 'Refine Method' for her training sessions. Devised by Brynn Putnam, the technique helps the dancers train using plyometric and strengthening exercises. Melanie made her choreography debut with 'Porte Rouge', which premiered at the 'Mariinsky Theatre' in St. Petersburg, Russia, in April 2019. Based on the songs of the 'Rolling Stones,' the ballet was then performed at the YAGP gala at the 'Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts' on April 18 and April 19, 2019. Melanie was not originally meant to feature in the Russian version of the sequence, but she had to perform after one of the main dancers got injured. It was her second stab at choreography after ABT rejected her first idea.
- Melanie Hamrick was previously engaged to the classical Cuban dancer, José Manuel Carreño. José proposed Melanie in May 2011. The ballet dancer was quite open about her relationship and even posted the details of her romantic engagement on social media. The couple’s wedding was supposed to take place on March 15, 2013, but the engagement was eventually called off in 2014. A few months after her breakup, Melanie attended a 'Rolling Stones' concert in Japan. She went backstage after the concert was over and met the band’s members. It was her first interaction with Mick Jagger. They did not hit it off immediately, as Mick was seeing L'Wren Scott at that time. However, Scott committed suicide a few months after Mick and Melanie met. Just weeks after the 'Rolling Stones' legend lost his girlfriend, the paparazzi spotted him with Melanie on a luxurious hotel’s balcony in Zurich. According to sources, their relationship had already started by then.
- Melanie Hamrick gave birth to their child on December 8, 2016. Their son, Deveraux Octavian Basil Jagger, is Mick's eighth and her first child. The legendary musician signed a bond pledging to bear all of Deveraux's expenses until he turns 18. He has also gifted a $7 million townhouse in New York City to Melanie.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed