JoJo Gomez Biography
Joanna Marie “JoJo” Gomez is an American dancer and choreographer. She gained considerable fame for performing in TV shows, such as ‘America's Got Talent’, ‘The X Factor’, and ‘Beyond Dance’. She has also appeared in the music videos by various renowned artists, including Stefan Kendal Gordy, Beyoncé, and Kimberly Cole. A native of New Jersey, Gomez had already been trained in classical dance by the time she turned 11. She later also attended a dance workshop in Atlanta, Georgia. Gomez moved to Los Angeles when she was 17 years old. She subsequently auditioned for a talent agency and a day later she was signed. In the ensuing five years, she established herself as one of the leading young dancers in the industry. However, her body began to change and she gained some weight. As a result, she stopped receiving as many offers as she once used to. She subsequently introduced several changes to her routine to fit her new body type and set up a YouTube account to post videos of her dance sequences. In recent years, she has also begun teaching dance and choreographing for music videos.
- In 2011, after graduating from high school, JoJo Gomez relocated to Los Angeles. She was 17 years old. The first audition of her career was for the MTV Video Music Awards in 2011, the year when Britney Spears became the recipient of the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award. Gomez cleared it and got the opportunity to be a part of the tribute to her childhood idol.
- Following her appearance at the VMAs, she worked with Justin Bieber on ‘The Voice’. She also made appearances on ‘America’s Got Talent’ and ‘Radio Disney’. During this period, she was working constantly, but since dancers generally do not make that much money, she also had to perform at bar mitzvahs and other children’s events.
- Gomez is a Latina and naturally not skinny. After working rigorously for five years, her body started to change. She began to gain weight and it considerably decreased the work she was getting. She tried various diets but they did not have any significant effect. At most of the auditions she attended, she was told that while she was immensely talented, she needed to lose some weight. Eventually, she decided not to go to any more auditions and set up her own brand.
- Gomez still did her training and attended classes. However, now, she carefully reviewed her own body and came up with a style that would be a perfect fit. She also started teaching dance to kids at a studio in Orange County so she could take care of her bills.
- She had originally set up her YouTube account in November 2009 but it had remained mostly inactive. She uploaded her first video in August 2014. Watching dance videos on YouTube had made her want to come to Los Angeles in the first place. She hoped her own videos would inspire someone else in the same way. Her content, at the time, consisted of the dance routines that she choreographed herself to the music of the likes of Beyoncé, Britney Spears, and Tinashe.
- Soon, the positive feedback she was getting accumulated into something significant. She received teaching requests from various dance studios and ultimately joined the Millennium Dance Complex as a substitute teacher. Her first class had five students but it grew in time. She also started filming her classes and putting the videos up on YouTube. It proved to be a good idea as her classes began selling out within a year. As of 2018, she has about 500 thousand subscribers on her channel and about 60 million views.
- Her first work as a choreographer was for Tinashe’s ‘Company’. She later also choreographed for Tinashe’s ‘Flame’. Recently, she choreographed for the Backstreet Boys’ show in Las Vegas. She still teaches at IDA Hollywood, which is another prominent dance studio in Los Angeles.
- JoJo Gomez was born on July 9, 1993, in Fairview, New Jersey. As a child, she used to attend Broadway shows with her parents and the experience deeply influenced her. She later cited these Broadway shows along with Britney Spears as her biggest inspirations to take up dancing. By the time she turned 11, she had already been classically trained in all areas of dance. Her parents recognised her true potential and encouraged her to get more training. She subsequently signed up for dance competitions which allowed her the opportunity to travel all over the country and receive training from choreographers who had worked with the likes of Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, and Madonna.
- She also completed a workshop in Atlanta, Georgia where, according to her, she received the best training of her life. She received the scholarship to be a “protégé”, which meant that she was made the official assistant that toured with the rest of the convention.
- She has previously dated fellow dancer Donovan Okimura. She garnered media attention after her kiss with pop star Demi Lovato at the 2018 New Year celebrations in Miami.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed