Jeon So-min Biography
Jeon So-min is a budding South Korean actress and reality star, best known for being a guest as well as regular participant on the popular reality show, ‘Running Man’. Her brother, Jeon Wook-Min is also part of South Korean show business. She made her first appearance in the sitcom ‘Miracle’ while she was doing her degree in Broadcasting and Entertainment from Dongduk Women’s University, South Korea. Her career after college was initially focussed towards television with serials like ‘The Great Catsby’ and ‘One Mom and Three Dads’. Her major break came with the lead role in the serial ‘Princess Aurora’, for which she won the Best New Actress Award at the MBC Drama Awards. Having established herself as a television star, she went on to appear in the movies ‘Help Me’ and ‘Love Call’. She has also appeared in a few music videos, including ‘Just Looking at You is Nice’ and ‘Sun and Star’. Jeon So-min has been an active advocate of social causes involving women and children. She has also been the brand ambassador for a number of environmental initiatives. Her present social status is single and we definitely are going to hear more about her in the days to come.
- Jeon So-min was born on 07 April 1986 in Goyang Gyeonggi Province of South Korea. She was brought up with her younger brother Jeon Wook-Min in her native town. She was very close to her brother and was instrumental in introducing him to show business as a guest artist.
- She wanted to be an actress from a young age for which she did her degree in Broadcasting and Entertainment from Dongduk Women’s University. She was a bright student and took an active part in university shows from where she got a foothold into the entertainment industry.
- In 2004, she made her debut in the sitcom ‘Miracle’ which was aired on South Korea’s Major Broadcasting Cable Network (MBC), while she was still in college. When she was still in her teens she appeared in the music video, ‘How Much’ by the South Korean band called ‘Turtles’. She also had a small role as Hye-Won in the movie ‘Cinderella’ in 2006.
- After ‘Cinderella’ she took a break from movies for awhile and concentrated on television serials. In 2007 she appeared in the serial ‘The Great Catsby’ on Total Variety Network (tvN). The following year she played the role of Nam Jong-Hee and KI-Soon on the serials ‘One Mom and Three Dads’ and ‘East of Edn’ respectively. Television brought her into the homes of South Korean people due to which she built up a large fan following and became a house hold name.
- During the year 2010 -2011 she signed a contract with Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) and appeared on their shows ‘Jungle Fish 2’, ‘Finding Mr and Ms Right’, ‘Baby Faced Beauty’ and ‘Drama Special’. Her performances were reviewed favourably and she gained popularity, especially among the youth.
- After a gap of six years, she returned to the big screen in the movie ‘Help Me’ and as Soo-ah in ‘Love Call’ in 2012. She also acted in the short film ‘Sun Cream’ which was released in 2013. By now she was a name to reckon with in the South Korean film and television industry.
- Her major break came when she played a lead role in the serial ‘Princess Aurora’ in 2013, for which she won the Best New Actress Award at the MBC Drama Awards that year. After her stunning performance she was given the recurring role of Han Seung-Ri in the serial ‘Tomorrow Victory’ that was screened from 2015 to 2016.
- 2017 has been a busy year for Jeon So-min with her appearances in the serials ‘My Secret Romance’, ‘The Bride of Habaek’ and ‘Single Wife’ on Orion Cinema Network (OCN) and tvN. She has proved herself a versatile actress with her varied roles.
- Having established herself in South Korean show business, she has made several guest appearances in a number of variety shows from 2014 onwards. These include ‘Running Man’, ‘Happy Together Season 3’ and ‘Witch Hunt’ in 2014 followed by ‘Radio Star’, ‘Gourmet Road Season 1’ and ‘Live Talk Show Taxi’ in 2015. With her appearances on these reality shows, she also became more active on social media in order to build her own image.
- Her popularity soared and 2016 saw her appear as a guest on the shows ‘Knowing Bros’, ‘Get it Beauty 2016’ ‘Lets Meet Up at 8PM’, ‘My Ear’s Candy’ and ‘Order and Cook’. She also was seen as a regular cast in ‘Running Man’ and ‘Living Together in Empty Room’ the same year.
- Her current shows on South Korean television include ‘Running Man’, ‘Living Together in Empty Room’, Order and Cook’, ‘I Go Alone Travel’ ‘Let’s Leave Together’ and ‘Idol Drama Operation Team’.
- After appearing in a music video in 2004 she took a break from the music scene and came back in 2011 with her appearance in the music video ‘Just Looking at You is Nice’ by the group ‘No Reply’ and ‘Sun and Star’ by ‘Joosuc’. She is also seen in ‘Atlantis Princess’ by ‘Lena Park’.
- Besides acting Jeon So-min is a brand ambassador for various products and social causes. She actively participated in the activities to mark Earth Day and Climate Change Week. She has been instrumental in projecting the cause against sexual exploitation of women, domestic violence and harassment of children in schools.
- She has also actively promoted the campaign for use of cycles to reduce pollution and was ambassador for the Boryeong Mud Festival that sent out a message for us to save our planet.
- She has acted in the movies ‘Cinderella’ (2006), ‘Help Me’ (2011), ‘Love Call’ (2012) and ‘Sun Cream’ (2013).
- Her television appearances include ‘Miracle’ and ‘Father of the Ocean’ in 2004; ‘One Mom and Three Dads’ and ‘East of Eden’ in 2008; ‘Joseon X-Files and ‘Jungle Fish 2’ in 2010; ‘Baby Faced Beauty’ and ‘Drama Special’ in 2011; ‘Endless Love’, ‘Mother’s Garden’ and ‘Maids’ in 2014 and ‘Tomorrow Victory’ in 20116.
- She has been a guest as well as regular member on the popular reality show ‘Running Man’.
- Her music videos include ‘How Much’, Just Looking at You is Nice’, ‘Sun and Star’ and ‘Atlantis Princess’.
- She was judged the Best New Actress during the 32nd MBC Drama Awards in 2013.
- The following year she won the Drama Star Award in the 9th Asian Model Festival Awards.
- In 2017, she won the Popular Star Award at the 12th Asian Model Festival Awards.
- She was in a relationship with fellow actor Yoo Hyun-min from 2015 to 2016. The couple has split and gone their separate ways. Her name has also been associated with Ha Seok-jin, with whom she co-starred in the romantic comedy series ‘1% of Anything’.
- She has a love for animals and has volunteered as an ambassador for the Suncheon Animal Film Festival.
- In the 346th episode of ‘Running Man’ she was given the secret mission of gossiping about their fellow members. She spread the word that her co-participant Ha Ha was the most difficult person to come to know.
- Lee Kwang Soo from ‘Running Man’ once found himself in a controversy when he slept overnight in Jeon So-min’s house because he was too drunk to drive home. Heon So-min was quick to put to rest all rumours of a relationship between them.
Jeon So-min Movies
How To Cite
People Also Viewed