Sheherazade Goldsmith Biography
Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Sheherazade Ventura Goldsmith, Sheherazade Ventura Bentley
Born in: Denmark Hill, London
Famous as: Environmentalist, Socialite
Spouse/Ex-: Zac Goldsmith (m. 1999 – div. 2010)
father: John Bentley
mother: Viviane Ventura
children: James Goldsmith, Thyra Goldsmith, Uma Romaine Goldsmith
Partner: Alfonso Cuarón (2011–2018)
City: London, England
education: Aiglon College
Sheherazade Ventura Goldsmith (née Bentley) is a British socialite, environmentalist, entrepreneur, journalist, and author. After she became pregnant with her first child, she developed an active interest in environmental activism. A London native, Goldsmith was raised in an affluent family. She attended the French Lycée in London before enrolling at Aiglon College. Prior to her marriage to British politician and journalist Zac Goldsmith, she was a regular contributor to several newspapers. Following her separation from Zac, she has returned to work as a columnist. She and Zac have three children together. Between 2014 and 2018, she was in a relationship with Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón. Goldsmith is an ardent advocate of organic living. From 1999 to 2002, she ran an organic delicatessen named Deli'Organic. She has written several articles on environmental concerns, organic food and products. A longstanding supporter of Soil Association, she served as their spokesperson in 2008.
- Sheherazade Goldsmith became pregnant with her first child while she was on her honeymoon with Zac. In the past, she had worked as a model for a year and a half. It was essentially something that happened by accident. After she turned 18, the prospect of travelling the world while earning money had seemed wonderful to her. However, she found it to be a “terrible mistake”. She also did some acting. In Franco Zeffirelli's film ‘The Sparrow’ (1993), she portrayed a supporting character. According to her, this was also a mistake.
- After she met Zac, her life began to change drastically. It had its effects on her diet as well, as she began to consume healthier food. In 1999, while she was still pregnant with her first child, she and her friend Serena Cook set up an organic delicatessen named Deli'Organic in Battersea's so-called "Nappy Valley". While it was a thriving business that provided fresh, organic baby food to their customers, the partners soon realised that the profit margin in the organic food industry is quite thin. Deli'Organic was shut down in 2002 following the birth of Goldsmith’s second child.
- Prior to marrying Zac, Goldsmith regularly contributed to various newspapers under a pen name. Following her divorce, she started writing again. She has authored articles on environmental concerns, organic food and products, lifestyle and beauty, and several other topics. Her columns and articles have been published in newspapers like ‘The Sunday Times’ and ‘The Daily Telegraph,’ and magazines like ‘Harper’s Bazaar.’ Her columns and recipes on organic food have been featured on Sophie Grigson's ‘The Fairtrade Everyday Cookbook’ and the UKTV Food channel.
- In 2007, the non-fiction book ‘A Slice of Organic Life: Get Closer to the Soil Without Going the Whole Hog’, of which she was the editor, was published. A year later, she published ‘A Greener Christmas’, a book that contains various projects that aim to help families celebrate Christmas in a more environmentally-friendly manner.
- As an environmentalist, Goldsmith is an ardent admirer of Sir David Attenborough. According to her, Sir David’s "love, passion and also his understanding of nature and what she can offer" should be praised. She has been affiliated with Soil Association as a donor and event organiser for a long while. She was their spokesperson during their Organic Fortnight event, which was held from 6 to 21 September 2008.
- Goldsmith has sponsored a number of London-based charities, including Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity and HOPING Foundation.
- In January 2013, she and her friend and model Laura Bailey opened Loquet London, a “concept jewellery” label.
- Born on March 14, 1974, in Denmark Hill, London, England, Sheherazade is the daughter of Viviane Ventura and John Bentley. Her mother is a Colombian-born actress while her father is a British financier. She has an older half-sister named Jasmine Duggan. Goldsmith was raised in an affluent household. Her father was absent for the most part of her childhood. His paternity was confirmed in court in 1975. Goldsmith was predominantly raised by her nanny Lola, who had been living with her as of 2010.
- She was a student at the French Lycée in London before enrolling at Aiglon College, a boarding school in Switzerland. She was the captain of the ski team there.
- When she was 25 years old, she met Zacharias “Zac” Goldsmith. One day, she was spending time in a café when Goldsmith sent over a bunch of flowers to her, along with a note asking her out on a date. They exchanged wedding vows four months later, sometime in 1999.
- The couple has three children together: daughters Uma Romaine Goldsmith (born April 10, 2000) and Thyra Goldsmith (born 2002), and son James Goldsmith (2003). Zac and Sheherazade parted ways in 2010.
- In 2014, she began a relationship with Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón, whose 2013 science fiction thriller film ‘Gravity’ earned him the Best Director Oscar at the 86th Academy Awards. The couple split in 2018.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed