The legendary hero of rock ‘n’ roll and one of the greatest guitarists of all time, Keith Richards has always dared to speak his mind and walk his own path. Guitarist, songwriter, singer, record producer and founding member of ‘The Rolling Stones’, Richards has written some of the greatest hit rock songs of all time. He is considered to be the pioneer of innovative state-of-the-art rhythm and this multi-talented musician also plays the bass and the keyboard. He remains one of the most internationally recognized and iconic figures of rock music and has influenced numerous young musicians. Apart from being a member of ‘The Rolling Stones’, he has also toured with ‘The New Barbarians’ and has been the front-man of the’ X-Pensive Winos’. Some of his hit albums include ‘Emotional Rescue’, ‘Exile on Main St.’, ‘Goats Head Soup’ and the all-time hit single ‘I Can't Get No Satisfaction’. He also made a cameo in the film ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End’. With an estimated net worth $280 million, Richards is one of wealthiest musicians in the U.K. To learn more interesting facts about his personal life and professional achievements, scroll down and continue to read this biography.
- Keith Richards was born in Dartford, Kent to Bertrand Richards and Doris Dupree Richards.As a young boy he would frequently listen to recordings of Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and try playing their songs on his guitar.He attended the Wentworth Primary School, after which he attended the Dartford Technical High School for Boys until 1959. In high school, he was part of the school choir and sang at the Westminster Abbey for Queen Elizabeth II.In 1959, he was expelled from Dartford Technical High School on the grounds of ‘truancy’, after which he was sent to the Sidcup Art College. At Sidcup, he spent most of his time playing guitar. After dropping out of college, he moved to London to become a part of the amateur band, ‘Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys’.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- In 1962, he became part of the rock band, ‘The Rolling Stones’. The band members at that time were Brain Jones, Ian Stewart and Mick Jagger.On July 12, 1962, the band played their first official gig at the Marquee Club, a music Club located on Oxford Street, London.On June 7, 1963, the band released their first single, ‘Come On’ and at this point the band was not comfortable playing live gigs. In autumn of 1963, the band recorded their second single titled, ‘I Wanna be Your Man’, a song that was written by Lennon-McCartney.In 1965, the song ‘I Can't Get No Satisfaction’ was released, co-written by him along with Mick Jagger. In 1968, he played the bass guitar for the song ‘Sympathy for the Devil’, which was the opening track of the album ‘Beggars Banquet’ that released the same year.During ‘Rolling Stones Tour’ in 1972, he sang as the lead vocalist for the song ‘Happy’ from the album ‘Exile on Main St’. In 1973, the band released the hit album ‘Goats Head Soup’, which featured the hit single ‘Angie’.In 1979, he joined ‘The New Barbarians' tour, during which he played the keyboard. In June 1980, the band released the hit album ‘Emotional Rescue’, which topped the charts in both the U.S. and the U.K.Between 1989 and 1990 the band went on a yearlong worldwide tour and did 115 shows in the U.S, Japan and Europe. In 2005, a collection of all the ‘The Rolling Stones’ rare and limited-issue recordings were released in an album titled, ‘Rarities 1971-2003’.In 2007, he made an appearance in the film ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End’, in which he played the role of ‘Captain Jack Sparrow’s father.In 2012, he paid tribute to fellow musicians Chuck Berry and Leonard Cohen at the JFK Presidential Library in Boston, Massachusetts. The same year he played the guitar at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- His hit single ‘I Can't Get No Satisfaction’ hit the number one spot in the U.S charts and is considered to be one of the all-time greatest rock songs ever recorded. The song is ranked at number two on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of ‘The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time’.The 1980 album ‘Emotional Rescue’ was an instant hit on the music charts and the album reached the number one position in the U.K. and stayed at the top in the U.S charts for seven weeks. In 2011, the album was re-released by Universal music Enterprises.The song ‘Angie’ from the album ‘Goats Head Soup’ peaked at the number one position on the U.S. charts and also featured in the top 5 list in the U.K. The song was also a number one hit in Canada, Australia and rest of the Europe. This song was frequently performed in ‘The Rolling Stones’ concerts and tours.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- In 1993, he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.In 2009, he was ranked 4th in Time magazine's list of the 10 best electric guitar players of all time.In 2009, he was the recipient of the Rock Immortal Award at Spike TV’s Scream 2009 awards ceremony at the Greek Theatre, Los Angeles.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Personal Life & Legacy
- Since 1967, he has been charged on drug related crimes five times and he was imprisoned for a period of three months after he was caught with amphetamine tablets.From 1967 to 1979 he was in a relationship actress, Anita Pallenberg and they have two children together even though they never got married.On December 18, 1983 he got married to Patti Hansen, model and actress and the couple have two children.On April 27, 2006 he suffered a head injury, for which he underwent a surgery in New Zealand.On October 15, 2010 his autobiography ‘Life’ was published, which was written with the assistance of journalist James Fox.Trivia
- This popular rock band guitarist owns one of the best and largest private collection of musical instruments that includes thousand guitars of various makes.
How To CiteArticle Title- Keith Richards BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/keith-richards-5248.phpLast Updated- March 04, 2017
People Also Viewed