Harry Edward Styles is an English singer and songwriter best known as a member of the remarkably famous and top-spinning pop rock band ‘One Direction’. Having a talent for singing, Styles immersed himself in the field of music too soon. His debut came when he auditioned for a spot in the show ‘The X Factor’. Styles natural flair and understanding of harmony and tune made him a favourite of the judges. Though he could not make it to the ‘judge’s houses’ round, he was roped in as a member of the pop rock band ‘One Direction’. Though the youngest member of the boy band, Styles soon became a top favorite of the fans because of his curly hair, wide smile and sweet-yet-naughty demeanor. ‘One Direction’ in its five outings, broke several records, becoming the only boy band to have its first five albums debut at number one in the United States. Also, it became the first boy band in US chart history to land two number-one albums in a calendar year. Following the self-declared hiatus, Styles pursued his solo career signing a record deal with Columbia Records. Additionally, Styles has also appeared in television and film, including the Nickelodeon series iCarly and the concert film ‘One Direction: This Is Us’.
- Harry Edward Styles was born on February 1, 1994 in Redditch, Worcestershire, to Anne Cox (née Selley) and Desmond ‘Des’ Styles. He has an elder sister Gemma. His parents separated when he was seven.Styles spent most of his growing up years in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire along with his mother and sister. He did his schooling from Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School.Ever since a child, Styles was fascinated by music. He enjoyed singing and even performed as the lead singer for his school band, White Eskimo which won several competitions. Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley and The Beatles were Styles earliest influences. He even worked part-time at the W. Mandeville Bakery in Holmes Chapel to support himself.Career
- Harry Styles began his music career in 2010 when he auditioned as a solo candidate for the seventh series of the British televised singing competition ‘The X Factor’. Though he could not make it to the finals, being cut short in the ‘boys’ category in the ‘judges’s houses’ round, he was selected along with four other fellow competitors to form a new group act for the remainder of the competition.Styles named the group ‘One Direction’. The group’s first song, which was also their qualifying song at ‘judge’s houses’, was an acoustic version of ‘Torn’. Such was the brilliance of their performance that they soon gained popularity in the UK.One of the biggest contenders of the coveted title and people’s favourite, ‘One Direction’ finished the seventh season of ‘The X Factor’ show in the third place. Immediately thereafter, One Direction was signed in by Cowell’s Syco Music Records for a reported £2 million contract.In February 2011, the group came up with their book, ‘One Direction: Forever Young’ which gave a first-hand account of their X-Factor Story. It topped the Sunday Times Best Seller list. Subsequently, they went on the X-Factor Live Tour performing throughout UK.After months of recording in various cities including Stockholm, London and Los Angeles, ‘One Direction’ came up with their debut album ‘Up All Night’ in 2011. The album bowed at number two on the UK Albums Chart and ultimately became the UK's fastest-selling debut album of 2011. Their debut single ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ debuted at number 1 on the UK Singles Chart.‘Up All Night’ debuted at number one on the United States Billboard 200, selling 176,000 copies in its first week. As per reports by IFPI, ‘Up All Night’ was the third global best-selling album of 2012 with sales of 4.5 million copiesThe stupendous success of their first studio album and debut single led One Direction to come up with their follow-up album, ‘Take Me Home’ in 2012. It topped the charts in more than 35 countries. Following the footsteps of its predecessor, ‘Take Me Home’ too took the number one spot on the US Billboard 200 chart, thus making One Direction the first group to bow atop the Billboard 200 with their first two albums. Also, it became the first boy band in US chart history to land two number-one albums in a calendar year.One Direction’s debut album ‘Up All Night’ and its follow up ‘Take Me Home’ became the third and fifth best-selling albums of 2012 in the United States, respectively, making the band the first act to place two albums in the year-end top five in the Nielsen SoundScan era.‘Take Me Home’s lead single ‘Live While We're Young’ peaked in the top ten list in almost every country it charted in and recorded the highest one-week opening sales figure for a song by a non-US artist.In 2013, director Morgan Spurlock came up with a documentary about the band, ‘One Direction: This Is Us’ that gave a sneak peek of the life of the band. In its first weekend itself, the film grossed more than $30 million worldwide.One Direction ended the year 2013 with the release of their third studio album ‘Midnight Memories’ in November. Opening to mixed reviews by the critics, the album nevertheless fared well, and became the best-selling album of 2013, selling more than four million copies.A year after their third studio album, One Direction came up with their fourth album ‘Four’ in November 2014. The album debuted at number one in 18 countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia and the United States. Its lead singles, ‘Steal my Girl’ and ‘Night Changes’ achieved platinum status in US and gave the band its tenth and eleventh UK top-ten hits.Replicating the success of the band’s prior three studio albums, ‘Four’ became the band’s fourth consecutive album to sell in excess of 1 million copies in the United States. Also, it made ‘One Direction’ the first band to have their first four albums debut at number one in the United States.In March 2015, Zayn Malik, a member of One Direction, left the group. Nevertheless, they continued working on their fifth album, which was also their final before their self-called hiatus. The album ‘Made in A.M.’ released in November 2015 to favourable reviews from critics. It debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart and at number two on the US Billboard 200. Its singles, ‘Drag me Down’, ‘History’ and ‘Perfect’ reached the top 10 spot in a number of national charts.Following the hiatus of ‘One Direction’, styles moved ahead to pursue individual career in music. In June 2016, he signed a record deal with Columbia Records as a solo artist. Additionally, he collaborates with several other songwriters. He contributed for Snow Patrol's ‘Johnny McDaid’ and OneRepublic's ‘Ryan Tedder’, writing for them. Others include Ariana Grande and Michael Buble.Harry Styles future projects include an acting debut for Christopher Nolan's action-thriller ‘Dunkirk’ expected to release in 2017. He shares screen space alongside Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Cillian Murphy and Kenneth Branagh.Major Works
- Harry Styles’ career breakthrough came in as a member of the boy band ‘One Direction’, he being the youngest to have been selected. Just five albums old, the band attained several unattainable feats and created masterpieces, each of which zoomed to the top spot. ‘One Direction’ was the first boy group to have their first five albums debut at number one in the United States. Also, it became the first boy band in US chart history to land two number-one albums in a calendar year. Each of its five albums did exceedingly well at the charts.Awards & Achievements
- ‘One Direction’ won several awards, including five Brit Awards and four MTV Video Music Awards.Personal Life & Legacy
- Harry Styles has a Casanova image in public and is known for his various romantic link-ups. In 2011, he dated television presenter Caroline Flack. Their relationship hit the headlines globally due to the age difference between the two, Styles being just 17 and Flack 32. However, the two split in 2012.Following his break-up with Flack, Styles has been romantically linked with various personalities including Sarah-Louise Colivet, Emma Ostilly, Cara Delevingne, Lily Halpern and Rita Ora.From October 2012, Styles dated international pop star, Taylor Swift. The two moved apart in January 2013. He later dated Kendall Jenner and Nadine Leopold.
How To CiteArticle Title- Harry Styles BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/harry-styles-15979.phpLast Updated- February 15, 2017
People Also Viewed
Pictures of Harry StylesPrevious NextImage Credithttp://www.playbuzz.com/maximumpop10/is-this-a-harry-styles-shirt-or-an-ikea-bedspreadImage Credithttp://www.playbuzz.com/catpzv10/which-harry-styles-should-you-dateImage Credithttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/24/why-harry-styles-hates-the-word-famous_n_3810779.htmlAlso Listed In