Tobey Maguire Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Tobias Vincent Maguire
Born Country: United States
Born in: Santa Monica, California, United States
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Jennifer Meyer
father: Vincent Maguire
mother: Wendy Brown
siblings: Jopaul Epp, Sara Maguire, Timothy Maguire, Vincent Maguire Jr., Weston Epp
children: Otis Tobias Maguire, Ruby Sweetheart Maguire
U.S. State: California
City: Santa Monica, California
Tobey Maguire is an American actor who is best known for his role as ‘Spider-Man’ in the ‘Spider-Man’ film trilogy (2002 - 2007). One of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood Maguire has also tried his hand at production for a few movies. He was trained in a drama school as per the wishes of his mother and wanted to be an actor since his childhood. He started off as an actor on television but gradually landed opportunities to showcase his skills as a film actor. He primarily played teenaged characters in the early part of his career. Maguire also suffered from alcohol abuse at a critical juncture in his career. His drinking problem forced him to pull out of a film in which he was to play the lead role. After his return to acting, he was welcomed by filmmakers and his big breakthrough came in 2002 when he played the eponymous character in Sam Raimi's ‘Spider-Man.’ Following the success of ‘Spider-Man,’ Maguire starred in the sequels of the film which were equally successful. Thereafter, he was cast in many films that earned him appreciation from critics and the audiences alike.
- Tobey Maguire was born Tobias Vincent Maguire on 27 June 1975, in Santa Monica, California, United States, to Vincent Maguire and Wendy Brown. Maguire’s father worked as a construction worker and cook, while his mother was initially employed as a secretary before becoming a producer-screenwriter.
- When Tobey Maguire was born, his parents weren’t married; they then got married and subsequently divorced in 1977. Because of his parents’ separation, Maguire had to grow up in different cities.
- Tobey Maguire initially wanted to become a cook. After his mother had become a screenwriter, she gave him money to attend an acting class and from then on he wanted to become an actor. He did not complete high school, but he was awarded the ‘General Educational Development’ certificate in 2000.
- Tobey Maguire started off as a TV actor, playing minor roles in series like ‘Roseanne’ and ‘Blossom.’ He made his film debut in a non-speaking, minor role in the film ‘The Wizard’ in 1989.
- In 1992, he was supposed to play the male lead in the show ‘Great Scott,’ but the show was canceled.
- In 1993, Tobey Maguire was cast in the film ‘This Boy’s Life’ alongside Robert De Niro and Leonardo di Caprio. He was cast to play the role of a teenager who is seen as a friend to the character played by Leonardo di Caprio.
- In 1995, Tobey Maguire was cast in a leading role in the film ‘Empire Records,’ but due to his problems with alcoholism he pulled out of the film midway. He joined ‘Alcoholics Anonymous’ and returned to acting with the short film ‘Duke of Groove.’ He followed it up with roles in ‘Deconstructing Harry,’ directed by Woody Allen, and ‘The Ice Storm,’ directed by Ang Lee.
- In 1998, Maguire appeared in the film ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.’ He followed it up with lead roles in critically acclaimed films like ‘The Cider House Rules’ and ‘Wonder Boys.’ After appearing in these films, Maguire became known as a versatile actor who could pull off any given role.
- He received the biggest break of his career in the year 2002 when he was cast in the role of ‘Spider Man’ in the eponymous movie. The movie was hugely successful and spawned two sequels—‘Spider- Man 2’ and ‘Spider- Man 3’ in 2004 and 2007, respectively. The films became highly successful and Maguire’s acting skills were praised by critics.
- In 2002, Tobey Maguire became a producer with the film ‘25th Hour.’ He went on to produce two other films titled ‘Whatever We Do’ (2003) and ‘Seabiscuit’ (2003).
- In 2006, he appeared in the film ‘The Good German’ in a negative role. He then appeared in a guest role in the film ‘Tropic Thunder’ (2008) alongside Robert Downey Jr.
- Tobey Maguire went on to star in the 2009 film ‘Brothers’ which also featured Jake Gyllenhaal. Maguire’s performance as a prisoner of war earned him rave reviews.
- In 2013, he starred in Baz Luhrmann’s ‘The Great Gatsby’ alongside Leonardo di Caprio. He followed it up with ‘Pawn Sacrifice’ in 2014 in which he played the role of chess legend Bobby Fischer.
- From 2015 onwards, he has focused on his career as a producer. He lent his voice for the 2017 animated film ‘The Boss Baby.’
- Tobey Maguire has appeared in several movies, receiving praise and critical acclaim for his performance in many of those films. His performance in Sam Raimi's ‘Spider-Man’ trilogy remains his most important work.
- In 2000, he received the 'Best Supporting Performance – Male' award at the 'Toronto Film Critics Association Awards' for 'Wonder Boys.'
- In 2002, he won the ‘Teen Choice Award’ for 'Choice Movie Actor: Drama/Action-Adventure' for his role in 'Spider-Man.'
- In 2011, he received the ‘CinEuphoria Award’ under the ‘Best Actor – International Competition’ category for his work in ‘Brothers.’
- In 1999, he won the ‘Saturn Award’ under the ‘Best Younger Actor/Actress’ category for his performance in ‘Pleasantville.’
- Tobey Maguire got married to Jennifer Meyer, who is a jewelry designer by profession, in 2007, after being in a relationship for four years. They have a daughter named Ruby Sweetheart Maguire, who was born a year prior to their wedding. Their second child, a son, was born in 2009.
- In October 2016, Maguire and Meyer announced their separation and were divorced in 2017.
- Tobey Maguire has an estimated net worth of $75 million.
Tobey Maguire Movies
1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
(Drama, Adventure, Comedy)
2. 25th Hour (2002)
3. Pleasantville (1998)
(Comedy, Fantasy, Drama)
4. The Cider House Rules (1999)
5. Wonder Boys (2000)
6. The Ice Storm (1997)
7. Spider-Man (2002)
8. Deconstructing Harry (1997)
|2003||Best Kiss||Spider-Man (2002)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed