Terry Brooks Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Terence Dean Brooks
Born Country: United States
Born in: Sterling, Illinois, United States
Famous as: Writer
Spouse/Ex-: Judine Brooks
U.S. State: Illinois
education: Washington and Lee University School of Law, Sterling High School, Washington and Lee University, Hamilton College
Terence Dean Brooks, better known as Terry Brooks, is an American fantasy fiction writer. He is regarded as one of the best fantasy fiction writers from all over the world. He has sold over 21 million copies of his books and is one of the best-selling fantasy fiction writers alive. Brooks has written many fiction books on the highly popular ‘Shannara’ theme that includes eleven series to date. He has also written short stories alongside his many novels; however, in his own admission, writing short stories is out of his comfort zone. Like many fantasy novel readers, Terry Brooks was also inspired by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien’s masterpiece, ‘The Lord of the Rings’, and eventually decided to create his own fantasy world with his writing. He was also inspired by William Faulkner’s style of writing which can be noticed in his own writing to some extent. Terry Brooks was featured on the ‘New York Times’ trade paperback bestseller list at no.8 for his first novel ‘The Sword of Shannara’.
- Terry Brooks was an attorney before he decided to start writing fantasy fiction novels. He had always liked writing but it wasn’t until he was introduced to John Ronald Reuel Tolkien’s fantasy novel ‘The Lord of the Rings’ that he developed an interest in the fantasy genre. After completing the novel, he was inspired to create his own fictional world of fantasy.
- Brooks then published his first fantasy novel, ‘The Sword of Shannara’, the first of the ‘Shannara’ trilogy in 1977. The book became an instant success and sold over 125,000 copies in the very first month of its release. The next two books, ‘The Elfstones of Shannara’ and ‘The Wishsong of Shannara’, of the original Shannara trilogy were released in 1982 and 1985, respectively.
- After he finished the trilogy, Brooks moved on to write another series of four books, ‘The Heritage of Shannara’. The four fantasy novels, ‘The Scions of Shannara’, ‘The Druid of Shannara’, ‘The Elf Queen of Shannara’, and ‘The Talismans of Shannara’, were released between 1990 and 1993. In the remainder of the decade, Brooks wrote a prequel to the original Shannara trilogy, titled ‘The First King of Shannara’ in 1996. He also wrote the ‘Word & Void’ series which included three books, ‘Running with the Demon’, ‘A Knight of the Word ‘, and ‘Angel Fire East’.
- In the 2000s, Brooks wrote ‘The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara’, ‘High Druid of Shannara’, and ‘The Genesis of Shannara’ series, with each of these series encompassing three books. His last four ‘Shannara’ series were ‘Legends of Shannara’, ‘The Dark Legacy of Shannara’, ‘The Defenders of Shannara’, and ‘The Fall of Shannara’, released in the 2010s.
- Brooks also tried his hand at writing short stories and released books like ‘Indomitable’, ‘Allanon's Quest’, ‘The Weapon Master's Choice’, and ‘The Black Irix’.
- Apart from the ‘Shannara’ series, Brooks wrote another fantasy series consisting of six novels. The books, ‘Magic Kingdom for Sale–Sold!’, ‘The Black Unicorn’, ‘Wizard at Large’, ‘The Tangle Box’, ‘Witches' Brew’, and ‘A Princess of Landover’, were released between 1986 and 2009. According to multiple reports, there is another book (title not revealed as yet) coming up.
- Terence Dean Brooks was born on January 8, 1944, in Sterling, Illinois, and grew up in the same city. He attended Hamilton College in New York and received his bachelor’s degree in English in 1966. The veteran writer also holds a degree in law which he received from the Washington and Lee University. He practiced as an attorney for a while.
- He has been married to his wife Judine Brooks for a long time and currently lives in Seattle, Washington.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed