Tao Ruspoli Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Prince Tao Ruspoli
Born Country: Thailand
Born in: Bangkok
Famous as: Filmmaker
Spouse/Ex-: Olivia Wilde (m. 2003 – div. 2011)
father: Alessandro Ruspoli - 9th Prince of Cerveteri
mother: Debra Berger
siblings: 10th Prince of Cerveteri, Bartolomeo Ruspoli, Francesco Ruspoli, Mathilda Mélusine Ruspoli, Théodore Alexandre Ruspoli
City: Bangkok, Thailand
education: University of California, Berkeley
Prince Tao Ruspoli is an Italian-American filmmaker, musician, and photographer. He is the son of actor parents and it comes as no surprise that he chose to follow in their footsteps into the world of films. However, unlike his parents, he decided to pursue a career in filmmaking. He has won several awards for his creative filmmaking and his films have been praised at multiple prestigious film festivals across continents. His 2008 feature film ‘Fix’ won numerous awards including the Best Film Award at the Twin Rivers Media Festival in the same year of its release. Ruspoli also won the Heineken Red Star Award at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival for his remarkable and innovative filmmaking. He is primarily known for his progressive short films and documentaries. Some of his most popular documentaries are ‘Flamenco: A Personal Journey’, ‘Behind the Wheel’, and ‘Being in the World’.
- Tao Ruspoli is known for his progressive filmmaking and unique storytelling skills. He made his debut in direction with the short documentary ‘Just Say Know’ in 2002. The documentary featured his parents and described many of their family problems, including their drug addictions.
- His next two short videos, ‘El Cable’ and ‘This Film Needs No Title: A Portrait of Raymond Smullyan’, were released in 2004. The first short video was about the flamenco way of life and the second one was about the great American mathematician, logician, and concert pianist Raymond Smullyan. Ruspoli is a huge fan of flamenco and also made a documentary titled ‘Flamenco: A Personal Journey’. The documentary describes the world of the gypsies in a specific part of Spain and their flamenco lifestyle.
- His popular documentaries ‘Being in the World’ and ‘Monogamish’ were released in 2010 and 2017, respectively. ‘Being In the World’ featured a group of philosophers who are inspired by Martin Heidegger and his philosophies.
- Ruspoli made his feature film debut as a director with ‘Fix’ (2008), which featured his then-wife Olivia Wilde along with Megalyn Echikunwoke, Dedee Pfeiffer, Shawn Andrews, and Andrew Fiscella. The film won The Grand Chameleon Award at the 11th Brooklyn International Film Festival and the Best Film Award at the Vail Film Festival as well as at the Twin Rivers Media Festival. Ruspoli was awarded the Heineken Red Star Award at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival for his innovative and progressive filmmaking.
- Tao Ruspoli was born in Bangkok, Thailand, on November 7, 1975, and grew up in Rome, Italy, and later moved to California. He is the second son of the aristocrat Prince Alessandro Ruspoli, 9th Prince of Cerveteri, who was also a part-time actor, and the Austrian-American actress, Debra Berger. Ruspoli has a degree in philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley, which he earned in 1998.
- He married actress Olivia Jane Cockburn, popularly known as Olivia Wilde, on 7 June 2003, in Virginia. The couple ended their marriage almost eight years later in 2011 after Olivia Wilde filed for a divorce citing ‘irreconcilable differences’. The two parties reached a private agreement on the division of their assets and Wilde didn’t seek any spousal support from Ruspoli.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed