Recommended For You
Sophie Turner is a British actress who made her professional acting debut in ‘Game of Thrones’, the immensely successful ‘HBO’ fantasy television series based on ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, a series of fantasy novels authored by George R. R. Martin. Playing the role of Sansa Stark, a principal character since the first season, Sophie has found international fame and critical acclaim besides a number of recognitions like nominations for ‘Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series’ and a ‘Young Artist Award’ nomination for’ Best Supporting Young Actress in a TV Series’. The immensely talented and beautiful star has also acted in the 2013 British drama television film ‘The Thirteenth Tale’, an eponymous adaptation of Diane Setterfield's gothic novel published in 2006. Sophie has also been cast in ‘Another Me’, a 2013 Spanish-British psychological drama thriller feature film, ‘Barely Lethal’, a Kyle Newman 2015 American action comedy film, and ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’, a 2016 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics’ ‘X-Men’ characters. Turner has also lent her voice to a couple of audiobook stories as well as hosted a mini-documentary series examining the impact of social media on lives around the globe.
- Sophie Turner was born on 21 February 1996 in Northampton, England, to Sally and Andrew Turner. Sally was a nursery schoolteacher and Andrew a pallet distribution company employee. She has two brothers, both older than her.When Sophie was two-year-old, the family moved to Chesterton, Warwickshire, where Sophie attended Warwick Prep School, an independent school till the age of 11, after which, she enrolled at The King's High School for Girls, a prominent day school for girls.Fascinated by acting, she joined the ‘Playbox Theatre Company’ when she was just three years old.She grew up near Leamington Spa, Warwickshire in a large Edwardian house replete with pigsties, a paddock, and barns that gave her ample opportunity to “muck around in the mud”.Sophie was still in school when she started acting in ‘The Game of Thrones’. She was tutored on-set until the age of 16. She passed her ‘GCSE’ with five A-grades, and four B-grades, including Drama.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- After being encouraged by her dramatics teacher in the school to audition, Sophie was successful in obtaining the part of Ned Stark’s daughter Sansa Stark, a young noblewoman in ‘Game of Thrones’, the ‘HBO’ fantasy drama series in 2011, when she was just 15 years of age.The series premiered on April 11, 2011, in the United States on ‘HBO’ and had a very successful run with its seventh season ending on August 27, 2017. The eighth season is scheduled for 2019. Sophie Turner has appeared in all the seven seasons till date.In 2012, she along with her on-screen sister, Maisie Williams, was nominated for the ‘Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a TV Series – Supporting Young Actress’.She landed her first film role in 2013 as the lead character in ‘Another Me’, an independent thriller film based on Catherine MacPhail’s book of the same name. In the same year, she appeared in ‘The Thirteenth Tale’, a British drama television film adapted from the 2006 gothic novel by Diane Setterfield, which was broadcast on 30 December 2013 on ‘BBC Two’.She was also selected in 2013 in ‘Barely Lethal’, a comedy film alongside Hailee Steinfeld; the movie had a limited release on May 29, 2015.On December 3, 2013, the audiobook ‘Dangerous Women: Stories’ containing 21 stories, including the Lev Grossman short story ‘The Girl in the Mirror’ narrated by Sophie, was released.In 2014, she lent her voice to the narration of ‘City of Heavenly Fire’ by Cassandra Clare that was released in an audiobook format. The same year saw her modeling for Karen Miller’s Autumn/Winter 2014 campaign.Continue Reading BelowIn May 2016, she appeared in ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’, a 2016 American superhero film as mutant ‘Jean Grey’; the film received a mixed response by the critics.Sophie was chosen to host a new web docu-series in 10 parts called ‘#PowerShift’ commissioned by ‘The Huffington Post’ during the summer of 2016 to examine how social media has been used around the world to effect change.In February 2017, Sophie announced that she had been selected to appear in a new film ‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’, in which, she would reprise her role as ‘Jean Grey’. A part of the ‘X-Men’ franchise, the film would be set in the early 1990s and follow the developments of ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’.In June 2017, she became the first international brand ambassador of ‘Wella Hair’; she announced the news on her Instagram account.In November 2017, it was announced that Sophie Turner had signed on to star and produce the movie ‘Girl Who Fell from the Sky’ being directed by Stan Brooks. The film is an adaptation of the book ‘When I Fell from the Sky’ by Juliane Koepcke that narrates the story of her falling 10,000 feet from a lightning-struck plane, landing in the Amazon jungle and then fighting for survival for an agonizing 11 days.On April 6, 2018, Turner completed shooting for Jouri Smit’s revenge thriller ‘Heavy’ opposite Daniel Zovatto. Scheduled for release in 2019, the film depicts the crazy life of a couple living the high life against the backdrop of trust funds, model parties, and drugs.Major Works
- ‘Game of Thrones’, the ‘HBO’ fantasy television series that gave her worldwide recognition and critical acclaim.Continue Reading BelowPersonal Life & Legacy
- Her first romantic interest was James McVey, the guitarist of ‘The Vamps’; they were together briefly during May-June 2014 but broke up in July 2014.In late November 2016, Sophie was first seen with Joe Jonas. In October 2017, she announced her engagement to the American singer and actor.In an announcement in March 2017, she said that she had become a patron of ‘Women for Women’, an organization, which supports female war survivorsTrivia
- A big fan of Jack Nicholson, her favorite movie by him is ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest’ (1975).She had a twin who was stillborn so she remains fascinated by stories about twins/doubles and even starred in a couple in 2013; ‘The Thirteenth Tale’ and ‘Another Me’.A natural blonde, she dyed her hair auburn for her role in ‘Game of Thrones’ though now she also wears wigs.After the end of production of Season 1 of ‘Game of Thrones’, she adopted the Northern Inuit dog, ‘Zunni’ that played dire wolf, ‘Lady’, onscreen with her.She is very close to ‘Game of Thrones’ co-stars Jack Gleeson, Maisie Williams, and Isaac Hempstead Wright, and Hailee Steinfeld with whom she co-starred in ‘Barely Lethal’.Among actors from her generation, she rates Hailee Steinfeld, Jennifer Lawrence, Saoirse Ronan, and Miles Teller as her favorites.She has appeared in Bastille's music video ‘Oblivion’ directed by Austin Peters.Sophie Turner has Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) since childhood for which, she is on medication.Switzerland is her favorite shopping destination.After her selection in ‘X-Men’ series, she became very conscious of her fitness; she not only worked very hard to achieve a toned body but also follows a vigorous one-hour daily workout regimen and switched to a paleo diet.
How To CiteArticle Title- Sophie Turner BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/sophie-turner-15860.phpLast Updated- July 27, 2018
People Also Viewed