Song Hye-kyo is a popular South Korean actress. She came to prominence after her role in the South Korean television drama 'Autumn in My Heart'. Directed by Yoon Seok-ho, the series was a huge success and is considered a pioneer in Korean melodramatic series. Song's performance earned her multiple awards and helped her gain popularity. Over the years, she appeared in other TV series such as 'Full House', 'Worlds Within' and 'That Winter, the Wind Blows'. She has appeared in several films as well. She made her first appearance on the big screen with a main role in the film 'My Girl and I'. The film, which was directed by Jeon Yun-su, was based on a novel named ‘Socrates in Love’. Her most recent film works include the lead role in the Chinese romance film 'The Queens'. Directed by Annie Yi, the film was based on a novel of the same name. Other than acting, she is involved with the organization 'Korea Animal Rights Advocates' as well. Also a philanthropist, Song donates to several social causes.
- Song Hye-kyo was born on 22 November 1981 in South Korea, though her parents registered her birth date as 26 February 1982. She was born sick and neither her parents nor her doctors expected her to survive. Her parents divorced when she was young and she was mostly raised by her mother.She wanted to become an actress from quite an early age. At the age of fourteen, she won the first place in the Sunkyung Smart Model Contest. This helped her become a model for the school uniform company.She completed her college education from the Sejong University, earning a degree in Film Arts, after which she began her full-time acting career.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Continue Reading BelowCareer
- When Song Hye-kyo became a model for the school uniform company, it helped her gain a minor role in the 1996 TV series ‘First Love’, which was the first role in her acting career. Over the years, she appeared in minor roles in several TV shows such as ‘Six Siblings’, ‘Soonpoong Clinic’ and ‘Sweet Bride’.She came to prominence after playing one of the main roles in the television drama series ‘Autumn in My Heart’. The show, which was directed by Yoon Seok-ho, earned huge popularity in the country. The series ran from September 2000 to November 2000, covering sixteen episodes.She next played a main role in the TV series ‘Hotelier’, which was directed by Jan Yong-Woo. Her performance was appreciated and won her the ‘MBC Drama Award’ for ‘Best Actress’. The series ran from April 2001 to June 2001, covering 20 episodes.The same year, she played the lead role in the TV series ‘Guardian Angel’. Directed by Kim Young-sup, the show aired from August 2001 to September 2001, covering sixteen episodes. In the following years, Song appeared in several TV shows including ‘Sunlight Pours Down’ (2004), ‘Full Down’ (2004), and ‘Worlds Within’ (2008).She made her film debut in 2005 with a main role in the movie ‘My Girl and I’. The film was directed by Jeon Yun-Sun and was based on a novel named ‘Socrates in Love’.She next appeared in the 2007 biographical drama film ‘Hwang Jin Yi’, playing the lead role. The film was directed by Chang Yoon-Hyun, and was based on a 2002 novel named ‘Hwangjini’. Other films she appeared in over the years include ‘Make Yourself at Home’, (2008), ‘A Reason to Live’ (2011) and ‘The Grandmaster’ (2013).Meanwhile, she also continued her acting career on TV. In 2013, she appeared in the melodramatic TV series, ‘That Winter, the Wind Blows’. The show earned huge popularity and appreciation and won several awards.Song played an important role in the television series ‘Descendents of the Sun’. Directed by Lee Eung-bok and Baek Sang-hoon, the series became a huge hit in South Korea. It won numerous awards as well. Her most recent works in films include her roles in ‘The Crossing: Part 1’ (2014), ‘The Queens’ (2015) and ‘The Crossing: Part 2’ (2015).Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Song Hye-kyo’s first significant work on television was the 2000 South Korean romantic drama TV series ‘Autumn in My Heart’. The series was directed by Yoon-Seok ho. With Song playing one of the main roles, the show starred several other actors including Song Seung-heon, Won Bin, Han Chae-young and Han Na-na. Not only the show earned huge popularity, but it is also considered a pioneer in Korean melodramatic series. Song won three awards for her performance in the series.She played the title-role in the 2007 biographical drama film ‘Hwang Jin Yi.’ Directed by Chang Yoon-Hyun, the film was based on an award winning 2002 novel ‘Hwangjini’ which was about a famous courtesan named Hwang Jin-Yi. Other actors in the film included Yoo Ji-tae, Ryu Seung-ryong and Youn Yuh-jung. The film won multiple awards and nominations.‘Descendants of the Sun’, is a popular 2016 South Korean television series in which Song played one of the main roles. Directed by Lee Eung-bok and Baek Sang-hoon, the show earned huge popularity not only in South Korea, but also on an international level. The show won numerous awards, including five at the 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards, three at the 11th Seoul International Drama Awards, and eight at the 30th KBS Drama Awards.Awards & Achievements
- Song Hye-kyo’s brilliant acting talents have won her numerous awards and nominations. She won the Most Popular Actress (TV) award at the 37th Baeksang Arts Awards in 2001.In 2003, she won the SBS Drama Award for Top Excellence Award (Actress) for her role in ‘All In.’ The following year she received three KBS Drama Awards for her performance in ‘Full House.’In 2016, she won the Daesang (Grand Prize)—the highest award—at the KBS Drama Awards along with her co-star, Song Joong-ki.Personal Life
- In 2003, Song Hye-kyo was confirmed to be in a relationship with actor Lee Byung-hun. However, they broke up the following year.In 2009, she was said to be dating actor Hyun Bin. The couple broke up in early 2011.In July 2017, it was announced that Song Hye-kyo was dating actor Song Joong-ki, with whom she had co-starred in the TV series ‘Descendants of the Sun’. The couple is scheduled to get married on 31st October 2017.Other than acting, Song is also known for her involvement with ‘Korea Animal Rights Advocates’, an animal welfare organization based in South Korea. She is a philanthropist as well and has made large donations to social causes.
How To CiteArticle Title- Song Hye-kyo BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/song-hye-kyo-33797.phpLast Updated- September 08, 2017
People Also Viewed