Song Joong-ki Biography
Nationality: South Korean
Sun Sign: Virgo
Born in: Secheon-dong, Daejeon, South Korea
Famous as: Actor
siblings: Song Seul-ki, Song Seung-ki
awards: 2016 · Descendants of the Sun - Baeksang Arts Award for Most Popular Male in Television
2016 · Descendants of the Sun - Best Couple Award
2016 · Descendants of the Sun - Grand Prize (Daesang)
2016 - Paeksang Arts Award for IQIYI Star
2016 · Descendants of the Sun - Asia Best Couple
Song Joong-ki is a popular South Korean actor, who became popular with his role in 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal' a popular South Korean historical drama series. Born in Dong District, South Korea, Song got the opportunity to begin his acting career while he was just a high school graduate. However, as he was still confused about his career path, he began acting full-time much later, when he was in his third year of university. He made his acting debut with 'A Frozen Flower', a South Korean historical film directed by Yoo Ha. The film was a hit and won several awards. He rose to fame after his appearance in the South Korean historical drama 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal'. The series earned a lot of popularity and won several awards as well. Later, Song joined the cast of the South Korean variety show 'Running Man'. However, he quit after a short time. Over the years, his popularity grew and he appeared in several films playing important roles. He played a main role in the South Korean fantasy romance film 'A Werewolf Boy'. The film was a monumental success. Other than acting, he has also released a book titled 'Beautiful Skin Project', which was a health and beauty guide for men. The book became a bestseller.
- Song Joong-ki was born on 19th September 1985, in Dong District in Daejeon in South Korea. He is the second of three siblings.
- During his school days, Song used to be an enthusiastic speed skater. He represented his hometown in the national games. Later, he quit skating after an injury and focused only on his studies. As a student he excelled in his studies and was brilliant academically.
- He got the opportunity to begin his acting career right after he passed out of high school. However, his parents did not want him to pursue a career in acting. Therefore, he attended university where he majored in Business Administration. It was during his third year of college that Song started his full-time acting career.
- Song Joong-ki's acting career began with a supporting role in the 2008 South Korean historical film 'A Frozen Flower'. Directed by Yoo Ha, the movie was loosely based on the reign of King Gongmin of Goryeo who ruled in Korea during the 14th century. The film was a commercial success and won multiple awards.
- After doing several small roles, Song gained popularity in 2010 after he appeared in the historical drama 'Sungkyunkwan Scandal'. Directed by Kim Won-seok, the movie was based on 'The Lives of Sungkyunkwan Confucian Scholars', a bestselling novel by Jung Eun-gwol. The movie revolved around a woman who had to disguise herself as her brother to earn a living, as during that time women were not allowed to work. The film was a commercial success and won several awards.
- The same year, Song also started appearing in the variety show 'Running Man'. However he quit the show after a year. In 2011, he appeared in the romantic comedy film 'Penny Pinchers', playing the role of a jobless deadbeat. The film was directed by Kim Jung-hwan. Though the film was not a huge success commercially, Song received appreciation for his performance. The same year, Song also played an important role in the TV series 'Deep Rooted Tree'.
- In 2012, he gained further popularity after appearing in the main role in the hit fantasy romance film 'A Werewolf Boy'. Directed by Jo Sung-hee, the film became the most successful Korean melodrama ever. Song also gained appreciation for his appearance in 'The Innocent Man', a South Korean TV series, where he played the lead role.
- From August 2013 to May 2015, he enlisted for his mandatory military service. After his discharge from the army, he appeared in 'Descendants of the Sun', a South Korean TV series, playing the lead role. The show was a hit, earning huge popularity. It also won numerous awards.
- Song was latest seen in 'The Battleship Island', a 2017 South Korean film. The film was a commercial success and was met with mostly average reviews.
- ‘Penny Pinchers’, one of the important works in Song’s career, is a 2011 South Korean romantic comedy film which was written and directed by Kim Jung-Hwan. The film revolved around the misadventures of an unemployed college graduate who is struggling to find a job, and shows how his encounters with different people make an impact on his life. The film earned a nomination at the ‘48th Baeksang Arts Awards’ for ‘Best Director’.
- ‘A Werewolf Boy’, one of Song’s most successful works, is a 2012 South Korean fantasy romance film, directed by Jo Sung-hee. The film revolved around the romance between a teenage girl and a feral boy whom she meets. The film, which released in September 2012, was not only a huge success commercially, but it also became the most successful Korean melodrama of all time. The film also won several awards and nominations.
- Song played the lead role in the South Korean TV series ‘The Innocent Man’. Directed by Kim Jin-won and Lee Na-jeong, the series was a dark melodrama which involved themes of betrayal and romance. The series revolved around a smart medical student who was in love with his neighbor who worked as a news reporter. However, desperate to escape poverty, she turns her back on him after she meets a rich CEO. The series won multiple awards.
- ‘Descendants of the Sun’ one of Song’s most recent as well as successful works, is a South Korean TV Series that aired in 2016. Directed by Lee Eung-bok and Baek Sang-hoon, the series starred Song in the lead role, playing the head of a fictional elite Special Forces team. The series was a huge hit in South Korea, and won numerous awards as well. It was also broadcast in several other countries such as Indonesia, China, and Greece.
- Throughout his career, Song Joong-ki has won numerous awards and nominations. The awards he has won include eight ‘KBS Drama Awards,’ one ‘SBS Drama Award’, and one ‘Korean Producer Award’.
- In 2016 alone, he became the face of more than 30 brands, for which he became the recipient of the ‘Brand of the Year’ award presented by the Korean Consumer Forum Awards.
- Song Joong-ki is engaged to South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo, with whom he co-starred in ‘Descendants of the Sun’. They are scheduled to get married on 31st October 2017.
- He was appointed the Honorary Ambassador of Korean Tourism by the Korean Tourism Organization with the intent to promote Korean tourism internationally.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed