Phoebe Tonkin Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Phoebe Jane Elizabeth Tonkin, Phoebs
Born in: Sydney, Australia
Famous as: Actress
father: Nicholas Tonkin
mother: Jannyfer Tonkin
siblings: Abby Tonkin
City: Sydney, Australia
Phoebe Tonkin is an Australian actress and model who catapulted to international fame following her appearance in the fantasy television program ‘H2O: Just Add Water.’ Following her initial success she proceeded to act in a number of other television programs before venturing into films as well. Interested in the performing arts from a young age, she took lessons in several forms of dance as a young girl. With her parents’ encouragement and support, she went on to attend the Australian Theatre for Young People (ATYP) at the Wharf Theatre. Venturing into show business while still in her teens gave her ample opportunities to explore versatile roles in the national television industry. With time she grew more ambitious and moved to Los Angeles to pursue an international acting career in 2011. Since then she has made a name for herself not just in the international television industry, but also as a film actress and model. As a model she has appeared in a number of advertisements and has graced the covers of glamorous magazines such as ‘Girlfriend,’ ‘Teen Vogue,’ and ‘ELLE Australia.’ She is also a health freak and opened a health website called ‘YourZenLife’ with a friend.
- Phoebe Jane Elizabeth Tonkin was born in Sydney, Australia, on 12 July 1989, to parents Jannyfer and Nicholas. She has a younger sibling, a sister named Abby.
- It was her parents who encouraged and motivated her to attend ballet, contemporary, tap, and hip-hop dance courses, and at the age of 12, she enrolled at the Australian Theatre for Young People.
- She is a graduate from the prestigious Queenwood School for Girls.
- Phoebe Tonkin’s acting career began when she was cast in the role of Cleo in ‘H2O: Just Add Water,’ an Australian children’s TV series that ran from 2006 to 2010. During this period she also appeared in a recurring role in the television series ‘Packed to the Rafters’ as Lexi.
- Her role in ‘H2O: Just Add Water’ made her quite popular in the national television industry and also earned her some international acclaim. Following her successful stint in the series, she started receiving movie offers as well.
- In 2010, she made an appearance in an action film called ‘Tomorrow, When the War Began’ which was about the lives of a group of teenagers waging a guerrilla war against invading foreign powers. She played the role of a rich girl Fiona Maxwell in the film.
- In the year 2011, Phoebe was cast in a CW series called ‘The Secret Circle’ which was about a group of witches belonging to a secret coven. The show premiered on 15 September 2011 to over 3.5 million viewers. She played the role of Faye Chamberlain in the series. Her performance was much appreciated and the critics referred to her as the breakout star of the series.
- Taking forward her film career, she appeared in a minor role in the horror disaster film ‘Bait 3D’ in 2012 which also had Xavier Samuel, Julian McMahon, and Cariba Heine in its star cast. It was a moderate hit.
- She landed the role of Hayley Marshall in the supernatural drama television series ‘The Vampire Diaries’ in 2012. Hers was a recurring role and she appeared in eight episodes of the series. The series was a huge hit and led to a spin-off series, ‘The Originals’ in which Phoebe reprised her role; it premiered on 3 October 2013 to 2.21 million viewers.
- In 2015, she appeared as Nicole Clark in an episode of the crime drama television series ‘Stalker’ which was about the victims of stalking and the detectives of the LAPD's Threat Assessment Unit who investigate the crimes.
- In 2016, Phoebe Tonkin played the role of Amy Tilton in the thriller film ‘Billionaire Ransom’ which was directed by Jim Gillespie and written by Alexander Ignon. Along with her, it also featured actors like Dominic Sherwood, Mark Bonnar, and Sebastian Koch.
- In addition to being an actress, she is also a popular fashion icon and has done several modeling assignments. She has appeared in a number of advertisements, including one for Vauxhall Motors. She has also been in photo-shoots for many renowned fashion publications such as ‘ELLE Australia,’ ‘Miss Vogue Australia,’ ‘Vogue Australia,’ ‘Dolly’ and ‘Free People.’
- She is a fitness enthusiast; she performs yoga regularly and eats a healthy diet that is mostly plant-based and vegan. Taking forward her passion for fitness, she collaborated with her friend Teresa Palmer to start a website called YourZenLife.com that is all about health and wellness.
- Phoebe Tonkin impressed the audience with her character Hayley Marshall in the CW series ‘The Vampire Diaries’ (2012–13). The supernatural drama series became one of the most watched shows on the channel and also won several awards and accolades. The success of the series led to its spin-off, ‘The Originals’ in which Phoebe reprised her role.
- Phoebe Tonkin received a nomination for the Best Lead Actress in a TV Series for her role in ‘H2O: Just Add Water’ at the famous Australian Film Institute Awards in 2008.
- In 2011, she was named one of the breakout TV stars by the popular entertainment ‘E! Online’, and was featured on Variety’s list of ‘New Faces to Watch.’
- She has been in a relationship with co-star and actor Paul Wesley since the year 2013.
- Not only has Phoebe carved a niche for herself in the film and TV industries, she has also appeared in a music video ‘Don’t Let Go’ by Miles Fisher.
Phoebe Tonkin Movies
1. Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010)
(Action, Drama, Adventure)
2. Billionaire Ransom (2016)
(Action, Thriller, Adventure, Drama, Crime)
3. Bait (2012)
(Action, Horror, Sci-Fi)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed