Oliver Sykes Biography
Nick Name: Oli, Olober Syko
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Oliver Scott Sykes, Oli Scott Sykes
Born in: Ashford, United Kingdom
Famous as: Musician
Spouse/Ex-: Hannah Pixie Snowdon (m. 2015)
siblings: Tom Sykes
Oliver Scott Sykes is an English musician, writer, photographer, clothing designer and entrepreneur who reached the peak of his fame with his rock band ‘Bring me the Horizon’ where he performs as the lead vocalist. He also runs a successful apparel company named ‘Drop Dead Clothing’. Oliver is a man of many talents and ever since he made his move to the art world, he has constantly been the talk of the town due to his perfectionist persona, which he utilizes in all his endeavours. This has earned him a great fortune and a massive fan base all around the world. His musical journey is laden with gems such as ‘Count your Blessings’ and ‘Suicide Season’. Oliver and his band have released five studio albums until now and almost all of them were chart toppers when they got out into the market. Although a controversial figure, his fan base stood with him during the times of emotional and professional un*stability and helped him stand up again. He embarked into creative writing with a graphic novel and clothing business and excelled at both of them. Apart from touring and releasing music albums for his own band, Oliver has also collaborated with different artists such as DJ Skrillex and an English metalcore band While She Sleeps. Oliver remains one of the most looked after British celebrities of present times and continues to grow.
- Oliver Sykes was born in Kent, England on 20th November 1986 to Ian and Carol Sykes. The family moved to Australia soon after Oli was born and for the next few years, the Sykes family kept hopping from one place to another in Australia due to professional reasons. The family made their move back to their homeland while Oli was 8 years old and settled there permanently.
- Oliver attended Stocksbridge High School. He was a year junior to Arctic Monkeys band members Alex Turner and Matt Halder. Sykes says that at the school, he was much more interested in English literature and art subjects as compared to mathematics or science. He would never miss the art class and was faculty’s favourite and his inclination towards music started while he was at school.
- In 2003, he started taking his career in music seriously and devised ways to get a head-start. He started making compilation CDs and tiny tracks while using the moniker Quakebeats. He, along with his brother Tom Sykes, started performing in bands and gained popularity, which infused enough confidence in him to enable him to take making music as his full time occupation.
- Oliver Sykes embarked onto the English music scene with the formation of his metal band ‘Bring me the Horizon’ in 2001, a band which tasted success very quickly owing to their passionate alternative rock beats and presentation, which was something fresh at that time. Their demo album ‘Bedroom Sessions’, which was released in 2004, resonated well with listeners and they followed it up with an extended play ‘This is What The Edge of Your Seat Was Made For’.
- It took two full years for the band to come up with their debut studio album, titled ‘Count your Blessings’ which eventually got released in 2006. Their first attempt was received well by the public and the critics and the band, without wasting any time, immediately started prepping up for their second album and kept themselves busy with the tours and concerts.
- Oliver and his comrades chose Sweden to record their second studio album titled ‘Suicide Season’. It was released in US and Europe in September 2008 while the band promoted the album through tours and online campaigns. In November 2009, the band came up with a remixed version of their second studio album titled ‘Suicide Season: Cut up’ and featured many prominent musicians in it.
- However, earlier in 2009, their Guitarist Curtis Ward had left citing some personal and professional reasons which put the future of the band briefly in jeopardy. While the band looked for a new guitarist, the tours and concerts never stopped as they tried different guitarists for the same.
- The band then released their third studio album with an unusual title, ‘There is a Hell, Believe me I have Seen it, There is a Heaven, Let’s Keep it a Secret’ in 2010. The album secured first spot in the Australian Albums chart, 17th spot in the US Billboard 200 and the top spot on the UK indie chart. The band went on to promote the album with tours across Europe and hired ‘Bullet for my Valentine’ as their main supporting band. The album was well received by the critics and the gothic themes were praised by a lot of prolific music magazines.
- The fourth album ‘Sempiternal’ released in 2013 and their fifth studio album came in 2015 and their musical influences crossed borders and they started touring in the US and Australia, where Oli and his band had a massive fan following. They started getting crazy fame due to their unusual lyrics and impeccably unique style of presentation.
- Apart from the music and tours, Oli started working on his long time dream of starting his own clothing line, which he finally did by the name of ‘Drop Dead Clothing’, which turned out to be a moderately successful venture. Eventually, the alternative clothing and accessories brand crossed the UK borders and started gaining popularity internationally and as of now, it is a well settled company with shipping done all over the world.
- Oliver always had a flair for writing and art, which became apparent when he launched a campaign for his graphic novel titled ‘Raised by Raptors’. Oliver planned on doing that with one of the designers from his clothing line. Within a few weeks of being launched, the campaign met its target of 15000 pounds and ended up with more than double that amount.
- Oliver Sykes is known to suffer from a very rare sleep disorder named ‘Sleep Paralysis’ ever since he was 12 years old which makes the person unable to move while in their slumber.
- Oli is an atheist and a hard core vegetarian. He pinpoints to a documentary on animal cruelty and believes in harmony and peace among different species in order to make the world a better place.
- He is known to have drug addiction issues, and has been to rehab quite a number of times. He says that it took him years to overcome the phase of addiction and used music to replace that ‘other addiction’. He claims to be clean now.
- He married a model and Tattoo artist Hanna Pixie Snowdon in 2015 and the couple separated a year later. Their bitter relationship became public when Sykes accused Hanna of having an affair with some other man while they were together. Hanna denied the rumours and said that Oli is a troubled man and in desperate need of help.
- As of June 2017, his net worth is estimated to be around 2 million USD.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed