Nikki Williams Biography
Nationality: South African
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Born in: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Famous as: Singer and Songwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Nicholas Cage (Divorced)
mother: Mandy Morgan
siblings: Jade Williams
Nikki Williams is a South African singer and songwriter known for her forceful and gutsy singing. Born in Port Elizabeth, she spent most of her childhood there before her family moved to the town of Nashville, United States. She grew up with thoughts of becoming a musician and country music was just one of the many genres she was interested in. She remained in the States with her mother and little sister even after her parents divorced and her father returned to their homeland. The split of her parents deeply affected her and slowly transformed her into a social rebel. Teenage rebellion meant she was the most punk-looking girl in the home of country music and later she signed a publishing deal with Sony ATV during her junior year of high school. She co-wrote the song ‘Fly Again’ which landed on the soundtrack album of the movie ‘Country Strong’. Afterwards she relocated to Los Angeles where she signed a contract with a record producer and worked on her vocals. In November 2012, she released her first single, a breakup number titled ‘Kill, Fuck, Marry’, which received immediate recognition. The pop/rock track was followed by the club-oriented single ‘Glowing’ which became an instant success. She has just embarked on her road to success as an artist and surely has a promising career ahead of her.
- She was born as Nicole Williams, on November 9, 1988, in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. She is one of the four daughters of her parents.
- She spent most of her childhood in Port Elizabeth where as a young girl she used to perform in church at the age of four. When she was seven years old, she used to entertainment the family and friends with her singing performances.
- Her parents decided to move to the United States and settled in Nashville. At the age of 16, Nicole found herself in a new town where she took a long time to adjust to the local language and customs.
- Shortly after moving to Nashville, her parents divorced and the all four children stayed with their mother. The divorce of her parents had a deep impact on Nicole William's personality and future life. She took the split hard and started behaving as a rebel, hanging out with the wrong crowd and going out to bars.
- She attended the Ravenwood High School in Nashville but never took her studies seriously. She sought respite from her turbulent life in writing and every day after school, she used to have songwriting sessions and quickly discovered she was brilliant at it.
- Influenced by contemporary country-Western icons such as Alan Jackson, Taylor Swift, and others, she poured out her restlessness and soul-searching into her lyrics. By her junior year in high school, she had signed a publishing deal with Sony ATV and was supporting herself.
- At the age of 21, she relocated to Los Angeles and shortly after met Breyon Prescott, a record producer, and signed a contract with his Chameleon Entertainment (a joint venture with the Island Def Jam Music Group).
- Along with Prescott, she also got the chance to work with Aaron Philips. Under their guidance, she improved her singing and emerged as a sultry new voice on the pop-rock scene.
- She co-wrote the song ‘Fly Again’, which was featured in the soundtrack album of the 2010 movie ‘Country Strong’ starring Gwyneth Paltrow. The song was inspired by an older boyfriend who helped foster her career and confidence.
- Nikki co-wrote ‘Like My Mother Does’, which was performed in 2011 by American Idol finalist Laura Alaina.
- Her debut single, ‘Kill, Fuck, Marry’, which was produced by Stargate and co-written by Sia Furler, was released in November 2012. It is a haunting single which instantly captured the attention of critics and fans, becoming a commercial success.
- In December 2012, her second single, ‘Glowing’, was released. She co-wrote the song with Arnthor Birgisson, Daniel James, Leah Haywood, Bebe Rexha and Sandy Vee. It is a peppy dance number that showcases many sides of her powerful vocals.
- Her third single ‘Thank God It's Friday’ was released in November 2013, along with the lyric video. The song is a fitting track for the party-happy sirens.
- Her writing credits also include ‘Heart Attack’, the lead single of Demi Lovato’s fourth album ‘Demi’ (2013). The song debuted at #12 on the US Billboard Hot 100, with first-week sales of 215,000 copies.
- Her 2012 chartbuster song ‘Glowing’ debuted at #48 on the ‘Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs’ chart, later reaching #3. It also reached #21 on the Billboard Pop Songs chart and peaked at #1 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart.
- On April 24, 2011, she married Weston Cage, son of Hollywood actor Nicholas Cage, in New Orleans. In October 2011, Cage filed for divorce which was legally granted in June 2013.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed