Margaret Hoover Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Also Known As: Margaret Claire Hoover
Born in: Colorado
Famous as: Media Personality, Author, Activist
Spouse/Ex-: John Avlon
father: Jean (Williams)
mother: Andrew Hoover
children: Jack Avlon (son), Toula Lou (daughter)
U.S. State: Colorado
education: Bryn Mawr College
Margaret Hoover is a well-known American political commentator, media personality, published author, political strategist, feminist, and gay rights advocate. She is the bestselling author of the socio-political book ‘American Individualism: How a New Generation of Conservatives can save the Republican Party’. Her book was published by Crown Forum publishing house in July 2011. Margaret is a well-known advocate for gay rights, including the right to gay marriage, and believes that individual freedom and marriage are core conservative values. She also believes that the laws of oppression go against the notion of freedom. She has also been an integral part in the founding of a non-profit organization called ‘American Unity Fund’, which focuses on gay and lesbian rights. During her political career, she was part of American President George W. Bush’s cabinet. Her political commentaries have been extensively published in established newspapers and newsletters, such as ‘The Wall Street Journal,’ ‘The Daily News,’ ‘The Daily Beast’ and ‘FoxNews.’
- Following her graduation from Bryn Mawr College, Margaret Hoover attended Davidson College for two years before opting to enter into the United States political administrative field. Margaret worked in the White House under the George Bush administration as the Associate Director of Intergovernmental Affairs. In 2004, when George Bush’s re-election campaign for his second term was underway, she served as a part of the cabinet. Later she worked as the Deputy Finance Director during Rudy Giuliani’s (a former mayor of New York City) presidential bid in 2006-07.
- Aside from this, Margaret worked as an official staffer on Capitol Hill for Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart, a Republican U.S representative from Florida. She was also an advisor to the Deputy Secretary at the Department of Homeland Security.
- During these years of service to the United States Government, she had been writing extensively for several reputed newspapers and newsletters. Her political commentaries have been featured in ‘The Wall Street Journal,’ ‘FoxNews,’ ‘The Daily Beast’ and ‘The Daily News.’
- Her political ideas centered on bringing about a change in the Republican mentality by a new generation of conservatives. Margaret brought many of these ideas to the mainstream in a well-publicized debate with Howard Dean and Jeff Maddrick in an IQ Squared Debate at the New York University. The argument was on the subject of sustainability of current entitlement obligations to a new generation of Americans.
- Between the years 2008 and 2012, Margaret Hoover was a contributor for Fox News where she frequently appeared on Bill O’Reilly’s top rated show ‘The O’Reilly Factor’. In the show, there was a branded segment called ‘Culture Warrior’ in which she and Bill O’Reilly debated over a lot of issues covering a wide range of topics from pop culture to entertainment news to Hollywood and politics. In 2010, she was featured in a PBS documentary called ‘Landslide’. Since 2012, she has been an active political contributor and commentator for CNN.
- Bill Maher, host of the popular TV Show ‘Real Time’ on HBO, also featured Margaret on his show regularly. Aside from this, Margaret has also made appearances on NBC’s ‘Today’, CBS’s ‘The Early Show’, and ABC’s ‘Good Morning America.’ She has appeared on MSNBC, Fox News, and C-SPAN as well.
- Margaret Hoover hosted the Toyota Solutions Studio in the year 2014, at the Women in the World Conference which was held at Lincoln center where she interviewed several participants including well known Jewish comedian Sarah Silverman and her sister Rabbi Susan Silverman, the Peruvian Poet Senna, Rwandan Ambassador Fatuma Ndangiza and United Nations Under-Secretary General Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka from South Africa.
- Margaret Hoover was born on December 11, 1977 in the state of Colorado in the US. She is the daughter of Andrew Hoover, a mining engineer, and Jean Hoover, a flight attendant. Margaret is a great-grand daughter of Herbert Hoover, who served as the 31st President of the United States between 1929 and 1933.
- She attended Graland Country Day School, an independent co-ed school located in Denver, Colorado. Following her schooling, she proceeded to complete her Bachelor of Arts program in Spanish literature with a minor in political science at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania, from where she graduated in 2001.
- Margaret Hoover is married to John Avlon, who is also a fellow contributor at CNN. Avlon has previously worked for Rudy Giuliani as a speechwriter and was a senior columnist for ‘Newsweek.’ They had also worked together when Avlon was the Editor-in-Chief of ‘The Daily Beast.’
- The couple has a son, Jack, born in 2013, and a daughter Toula Lou, born in 2015. Margaret is an avid fan of rollerblading.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed