Ben Shapiro Biography
Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: Benjamin Aaron Shapiro
Born in: Los Angeles, California
Famous as: Political Commentator, Public Speaker
Height: 1.7 m
Spouse/Ex-: Mor Shapiro (m. 2008)
children: Leeya Eliana Shapiro
U.S. State: California
City: Los Angeles
education: 2007 - Harvard Law School, 2004 - University of California; Los Angeles, Walter Reed Middle School, Yeshiva University High School
Ben Shapiro is an American political commentator, public speaker, author, and lawyer. He is a firm supporter of conservatism, or “right-wing” politics. He is a well-known columnist, too. Shapiro became a nationally syndicated columnist at the age of 17. Born into a family with Jewish origins, Shapiro excelled in academics even in his early days. He won several academic honors, such as the ‘Phi Beta Kappa.’ Ben Shapiro graduated in law and political science. He ran an independent legal consultancy firm, too. Shapiro was interested in politics since a tender age. He has written columns for several websites such as ‘ABCNews.com’ and ‘WorldNet Daily.com.’ He is an author and has written several popular books. He published his first book, ‘Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America’s Youth,’ when he was 20 years old. In all his books and articles, Shapiro has strongly supported conservatism and opposed leftist views. Shapiro was the editor-at-large of the American news website ‘Breitbart News.’ He founded the conservative news and opinion website ‘The Daily Wire’ and serves as its editor-in-chief. Shapiro has invited criticism for voicing his angst against the Muslim population of the world. His views on matters such as abortion ban, same-sex marriages, and gun-ownership rights have also dragged him into controversies. Presently, Shapiro hosts a daily political podcast named ‘The Ben Shapiro Show.’
- Ben Shapiro was born on January 15, 1984, in Los Angeles, California. His family has Russian and Lithuanian roots. He follows Judaism. His father, David Shapiro, is a composer, and his mother is an executive with a TV company.
- Shapiro was inclined toward music in his childhood. He learned the piano and the violin. At the age of 12, Shapiro performed at the ‘Israel Bonds Banquet.’ He initially attended the ‘Walter Reed Middle School.’ He skipped two grades and graduated from the ‘Yeshiva University High School of Los Angeles’ at the age of 16. As a youngster, Shapiro was interested in politics. In 2004, Shapiro graduated from the ‘University of California, Los Angeles,’ with a degree in political science. He won laurels such as the ‘Phi Beta Kappa.’ In 2007, he procured a degree in law from ‘Harvard Law School.’
- Ben Shapiro started his career as a lawyer, after graduating from ‘Harvard Law School.’ He worked for the law firm ‘Goodwin Procter.’ Shapiro was highly interested in politics since his college days. At the age of 17, he became the youngest nationally syndicated columnist.
- In 2004, Shapiro published his first book, ‘Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America’s Youth.’ In the book, Shapiro argues that the atmosphere in universities is dominated by liberal instructors who brainwash students who do not have strong opinions. In 2005, he published his second book, ‘Porn Generation: How Social Liberalism Is Corrupting Our Future.’
- In all his books, Ben Shapiro displays a strong affinity to conservatism. In his book ‘Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV,’ Shapiro speaks at length about the secret agenda of Hollywood producers to support left-wing ideas.
- Shapiro has dealt with several controversial topics in his books. In 2008, he published the book ‘Project President: Bad Hair and Botox on the Road to the White House.’ In the book, he speaks about how personal appearances affect the winning chances of Presidential candidates. In another book, ‘The People vs Barack Obama: The Criminal Case Against the Obama Administration,’ he speaks about the misuse of power by former president Barack Obama.
- In 2011, Shapiro became a fellow at the ‘David Horowitz Freedom Center,’ which is aimed at promoting conservative ideologies. In 2012, Shapiro became the editor-at-large of the conservative news website ‘Breitbart News.’ In 2016, he resigned from the post, following an altercation with the management.
- In September 2015, Shapiro founded the American conservative news and opinion website ‘The Daily Wire.’ He acts as the editor-in-chief of the site. In addition to posting its written content, the site produces shows such as ‘The Ben Shapiro Show’ and ‘The Michael Knowles Show.’
- Shapiro’s political podcast, ‘The Ben Shapiro Show,’ is one of the most popular podcasts that deal with politics. As on November 2017, the podcast had been downloaded 10 million times every month. In 2018, the mass media company ‘Westwood One’ began syndicating the show to radio. In 2019, following some controversial statements made by Shapiro, several companies withdrew their sponsorships from the show.
- In September 2018, Shapiro started hosting ‘The Ben Shapiro Election Special’ on ‘Fox News.’ It covered news related to the US midterm elections in 2018. Shapiro is a public speaker, too. He delivers lectures at several colleges and often presents his conservative views on controversial topics. He writes columns for the ‘Creators Syndicate’ and ‘Newsweek.’
- Shapiro is a supporter of abortion ban. In 2019, he spoke against abortion at the ‘March for Life,’ held in Washington, DC. After his controversial statement at the event, he lost several sponsorships from his show ‘The Ben Shapiro Show.’ His views on same-sex marriage, too, have invited criticism. He believes that transgender people suffer from mental illness. Shapiro is also criticized for being prejudiced against Muslims.
- In 2018, Shapiro accused ‘Facebook’ of targeting conservative sites after ‘Facebook’ introduced an algorithm change, limiting their traffic.
- In 2008, Ben Shapiro married Mor Toledano, a doctor by profession. The couple has a daughter and a son. They practice Orthodox Judaism. Shapiro currently stays in Los Angeles. He is active on social-media platforms such as ‘Facebook,’ ‘Instagram,’ and ‘YouTube.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed