Disney’s prime star Calum Worthy, known globally for playing the hilarious role of ‘Dez’ on the Disney show ‘Austin & Ally’, is now recognised as one of television’s best comedians. With his successful entrepreneurial venture ‘The Coppertop Flop Show’ aired on Disney Channel, Calum claims that the idea for the show dawned on him while watching YouTube videos. As a Canadian and a kid of the 90’s, he takes comic inspiration from legendary actors such as Jim Carrey, Robin Williams and Mike Myers. He has been cast in several roles in television films and has appeared on umpteen sitcoms as a lead or star guest. Hoping to become a role model for the younger generation, he began with voice training, dancing and acting from the age of five. He has performed at numerous musicals and theatrical plays, which has helped shape his career. From auditioning for minor roles to a lead star, he has come a long way. Training for hours on end, Calum still believes that it is his initial experience as an actor that helpedtransform him, making him a better performer. He has won several awards for his performances and is listed in the top 10 actors to watch out for by ‘TV Guide’.
- He was born on 28th January, 1991 in Victoria, Canada. His father, Martin Worthy is a professor. He lived with his parents and grandfather, the latter having abigger role in his upbringing.Calum attended ‘Claremont Secondary School’, and was a brilliant student. During a vacation, when he was four, he watched the movie ‘Home Alone’ with his family.That was a life changing event, the performance of Macaulay Culkinhad a lasting impression on him, and helped him choose his career path.He trained in singing, dancing and acting from the age of 5 to 9. During his elementary years, he used to make videos with his mother’s VHM camera. At the age of 9, he got enrolled into ‘Tarlington Training Professional Children’s Program’ at Vancouver.After attending the program regularly for three years he began watching ‘YouTube’ videos and throughout his high school years he was inspired to create new and unique content as trending on ‘YouTube’.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:A Child Artist
- Calum got signed on in minor roles in television at a very young age owing to his talent. He made his first appearance in ‘Night Visions’ when he was only nine.The following year he took up many projects including his role in the famous British miniseries named ‘I Was a Rat’. He claims that the role, really boosted his morale as after it several other auditions and projects followed.However, he only received notability but was unable to bag more roles. For the following two years he continued to train and started working on improving his acting skills.Finally in 2003, he was back in business when he starred in the HBO series ‘Out of Order’. With his progressing performances he was offered a lead role in the television film ‘Thanksgiving Family Reunion’.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Finding Success
- After his critically acclaimed performance as a star of the future for his work in ‘Thanksgiving Family Reunion’, he signed several projects and made both guest appearances and attempted lead roles from 2004 to 2009.He acted on ABC TV’s ‘The Days’ and was a guest star on ‘Stargate: Atlantis in 2014. The next year, he made an appearance in the Fox production show ‘Reunion’ and in the film‘Dr.Dolittle 3’.From 2006 to 2007, he starred in several hit shows such as – ‘Psych’, ‘Kyle XY’, ‘Deck the Halls’ and ‘Supernatural’. He was offered roles in the television films, ‘Crossroads: A Story of Forgiveness’ and ‘Second Sight’. And appeared in the short film ‘Smile’.Continue Reading Below2008 saw him star in the films ‘Valentines’ with ‘Living Out Loud’ which released on television in 2009. He later acted in the sci-fi television show ‘Stormworld’ which was majorly shot in Australia.Disney & Beyond Acting
- He became a part of every household with his role as ‘Dez’ in Disney’s most loved teenage show ‘Austin & Ally’. The show ran for four seasons spanning 87 episodes. Initially, the sitcom was only designed for four seasons. However, with persistent requests from fans another season was added.He developed as an actor on the show, and began taking interest in work behind the camera. In fact he even wrote the script for one episode of the Disney TV series which sparked his creativity.Not only did he try his hand at scriptwriting, but he also taped a pilot called ‘Prepped’ for the big fish of the television industry, Cartoon Network. In 2011, he took up a role behind the camera, to shoot the TV film ‘Best Player’ on Nickelodeon.With his initial experiences, he gathered knowledge of an entrepreneur and along with his best mates Derek Baynham and Kelly May, he took his own project to Disney and ‘The Coppertop Flop Show’ was aired in 2013.With the show, he became a creator, writer and producer. He received applause and compliments for his workfrom Hollywood stars and producers, and is now known to be one of the best comedians.Major Works
- The biggest success for Worthy was his film debut in 2004 in the ‘Scooby-Doo: Monsters Unleash’ movie. The gates of many television films, sitcoms and short films opened to him after his debut, including ‘The Last Mimzy’ and ‘Daydream Nation’.Continue Reading BelowHeturned an established producer and writer at the age of 22 with his own show ‘The Coppertop Flop Show’, which is inspired from YouTube’s sketch films.Awards & Achievements
- He was nominated and won an award for the film ‘Thanksgiving Family Reunion in 2004 at the ‘Young Artist Award’ in the category of ‘Best Performance by a Leading Young Actor’.In 2006, he was once again nominated at the ‘Young Artist Award’ in the category of ‘Best Performance in a Short Film’ for ‘When Jesse Was Born’.Following his brilliant performance in the TV series ‘Psych’, he was nominated for ‘Best Recurring role in a Television Series’ at the ‘Young Artist Award’ in 2008.After being critically acclaimed for his role in ‘Stormworld’, where the media went bizarre over his genuine acting skills, he bagged the award for ‘Lead Actor’ at the 2010 Leo Awards.Personal Life & Legacy
- Calum presently resides in Los Angeles, California. While filming for the series Austin & Ally, he attended university and earned himself a graduate degree.He is an environmental activist and has used social media as a platform to create awareness about environmental hazards and the promotion of social events for a thriving environment.He continues to extend support to various foundations, by volunteering and financially assisting them, one such foundation is ‘Make a Wish Foundation’.Calum is currently dating Disney alum, Celesta Deastis, popularly known for her role as McKenna from the Disney show ‘A.N.T. Farm’.Trivia
- Calum is a pianist and won the title of ‘Best Canadian National Composer’ at the age of eleven.
How To CiteArticle Title- Calum Worthy BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/calum-worthy-29822.phpLast Updated- February 03, 2017
People Also Viewed