Jonny Gray Biography
Jonathan aka Jonny Gray is a Canadian actor, best known for his portrayal of ‘Max Asher’ in the series ‘Max and Shred.’ He was born and raised in Ontario, Canada and spent most of his childhood on a farm. He grew up surrounded by a family that enjoys various sports, thus regularly participated in many such sports as polo, riding, hockey, skateboarding, snowboarding among others. He got a break to work as a reporter at a charity event in Thailand when he entered and won a video contest. Eventually Gray developed an interest in working in front of the camera and initially did few modeling assignments, followed by some appearances on TV series. He earned recognition with the role of ‘Max’ in the series ‘Max & Shred.’ His portrayals of ‘Bruno’ in the TV movies franchise ‘Bruno & Boots’ received much appreciation. Gray works mainly with the ‘Nickelodeon’ TV network. His performance as ‘Josh’ in ‘Nickelodeon’s’ action show ‘Ride’ also got him good reviews. He is an animal lover and campaigns for animal as well as other charity causes. He wishes to study science at the university.
- Jonathan Gray was born on May 5, 1999, in London, Ontario, Canada. His father, Daryl Gray, is a surgeon at ‘Victoria Hospital’ and mother, Jacquelyn Doucette, is a family doctor. Gray has three siblings, two elder brothers and a sister. In his own words, as a child he was ‘a city boy,’ then they moved to their own farm when he was 7 years old. Now they live at Ilderton, outside London, Ontario, on a horse farm with a number of dogs, cats and horses. He inherited the passion for riding and polo from his parents. Since young age he enjoyed sports like hockey, polo, football, soccer, skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding which proved an asset for his future career projects.
- He studied at ‘Medway High School’ and was academically successful. He especially liked math and science and wanted to be a doctor like his parents.
- In 2012, he participated in a video contest and sent an entry that explained why he should be chosen. He won the contest and earned an all-expenses paid visit to Thailand to report the annual ‘King’s Cup Elephant Polo Tournament.’ This was his big break. He did live reporting of the event that raises money to help street elephants and where actual street elephants are chosen from the community to play the tournament. He received a positive feedback of his Thailand reporting, and was told that he was really good in front of the camera and also with the adult people. Later, Gray told his mother that he wanted to give it a try. That is how he entered the entertainment profession.
- Gray began his career with modeling. His first assignment was a series of commercials for ‘Lego.’ He made his professional debut in 2013 with the TV documentary series ‘Paranormal Witness.’ He essayed the role of ‘Young Dan’ in it.
- In 2014, he was signed for the lead role of ‘Max Asher’ in the comedy series ‘Max & Shred.’ This is a story of an unlikely friendship between two totally different teenagers, who become friends due to circumstances, leading to hilarious situations. ‘Max,’ a celebrity teen snowboarder, comes to Colorado to train for the ‘Winter Cup’ and shares a room with ‘Alvin ‘Shred’ Ackerman,’ who is a science whiz-kid. Gray has been a snowboarder for 7 years, so he could fit the bill where this role was concerned. Here he co-stars with Jake Goodman who plays ‘Alvin ‘Shred’ Ackerman.’ The filming of this series was done in Toronto and it was aired on ‘YTV’ in Canada and on ‘Nickelodeon’ in the US.
- Gray received considerable attention with the Canadian TV movies trio – ‘Bruno & Boots’ where he portrays the role of ‘Bruno Walton.’ The series, based on the ‘Macdonald Hall’ series of the young adult novels by writer Gordon Korman, is about two mischievous troublemakers who are loyal to their boarding school. Here he co-stars with Callan Potter who plays the role of ‘Boots.’ The first of this ‘YTV’ movie franchise, ‘Bruno & Boots: Go Jump in the Pool’ was premiered in 2016, while the other two movies, ‘Bruno & Boots: This can’t be Happening at Macdonald Hall’ and ‘Bruno & Boots: The Wizzle War’ were premiered in 2017.
- He portrayed a major role of ‘Josh Luders,’ a Canadian teenager training for competitive show jumping, in the Nickelodeon’s action show ‘Ride.’ The drama unfolds at an elite equestrian boarding school, ‘Covington Academy,’ where ‘Katherine Bridges’ (played by British actor Kendra Leigh Timmins) arrives with her father for his new job. In this TV show, filmed on Ireland locations and directed by Stephen Scaini and Tim Hopewell, Gray co-stars with Alana Boden, Oliver Dench and Kendra Timmins. Gray grew up on a farm with many horses and has been riding since childhood and so he was comfortable in this role of an equestrian academy student.
- In the ‘TVO’ children’s series ‘Annedroids’ (2014-2017) Gray essayed a recurring role of ‘Zach.’ (His co-star in the series, London actor Adrianna Di Liella, was nominated for ‘Daytime Emmy’ award for her role of ‘Shania’ in this series). Gray appeared in two episodes of the 2016 TV comedy- drama series ‘Private Eyes.’
- Gray is a true animal lover, he lends support to ‘Humane Society’ and has participated in ‘Polo for the Cure,’ ‘Canadian Cancer Society’ and ‘ALS Association of Canada Campaigns.’
- He aspires to go to the university and study science.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed