Aaron Funk is an electronic musician from Canada who gained immense fame after composing albums such as ‘Winnipeg Is A Frozen Shithole’ and ‘Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’. Like many other celebrities, he too had a humble beginning. As a teenager, Aaron Funk recorded ambience noises on his tape recorders and tried several experiments with these sounds. He later claimed that such experiments with music during his teens changed his life for the better and is one of the prime reasons behind his success. He grabbed the attention of acclaimed British musician Mike Paradinas later on, who gave Funk an opportunity to work with his record label. During the 2000s, Aaron Funk released several albums which were widely appreciated and catapulted him to the status of a legend. His memorable trip to Hungary inspired one of his most famous and commercially successful works, ’Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’. The songs from this acclaimed album went on to become chartbusters too and helped Aaron Funk garner critical acclaim as well. Although Funk has been maintaining a low profile these days, some of his albums, released a decade ago, continue to be popular among music lovers even today.
- Aaron Funk was born on 11 January 1975, at St Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg, Canada. His mother apparently played Tubular Bells when she was pregnant with Funk. Many people opine that the lad inherited his talent from his mother.He started his journey way back in 1992, when he was just a teen. He used to record several sounds on Cassette tape recorders, also popularly known as ‘Ghetto Blasters’. Funk used to produce noises by banging trash cans and several other objects and get his tape recorders to capture them.The budding musician would then use the compilation of all these sounds to create new rhythms altogether. He later on claimed that these experiments changed his life completely.Aaron Funk, much later got access to an ‘Amiga 500’ computer, which helped his musical experiments in a great way. With the assistance of a sound management tool called ‘OctaMED’, he composed several tunes.While working on one of his tracks, Funk stumbled upon the idea of adopting a new name. Thus, he is also known as ‘Venetian Snares’, by many of his fans.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Aaron Funk’s talent was recognized by the renowned English musician Mike Paradinas, who happened to listen to the youngster’s composition ‘Greg Hates Car Culture’. Soon, Funk collaborated with Paradinas’ record label ‘Palent Mu’ for several projects.2001 was quite an eventful year for Aaron Funk’s career. Three of his albums, namely ‘Making Orange Things’, ‘Defluxion’ and ‘Songs About My Cats’ were released during this period. The same year also saw the release of ‘Doll Doll Doll’, another acclaimed work of the Funk. Thus, his popularity went sky-rocketing within a span of months.He also garnered a lot of appreciation in 2002 for three of his albums. These works, namely ‘Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972–2006’, ‘2370894’ and ‘Winter in the Belly of a Snake’, helped him garner overwhelming acclaim.Critically and commercially acclaimed albums such as ‘The Chocolate Wheelchair Album’, ‘Infolepsy EP’, ‘Find Candace’ and ‘Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding’ were the highlights of 2003-04.Aaron Funk next joined hands with the record label ‘Sublight Records’—based out of his hometown—Winnipeg, for a couple of albums. These acclaimed compilations are ‘Horse and Goat’ and ‘Winnipeg Is A Frozen Shithole’.’Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’, an album released in 2005, is widely considered Aaron Funk’s biggest commercial success till date.During 2006-2010, he went on to release several other albums, which were received very well by music lovers. Among these, ‘Detrimentalist’ and ‘Filth’ grabbed a lot of attention.Continue Reading BelowHe made headlines in 2010 for teaming up with the guitarist of the popular band ‘Red Hot Chilli Peppers’, John Frusciante.Since 2010, Aaron Funk has not been much in news, because he hasn’t released any album after that.During early 2016 Aaron Funk revealed that his next work would be ‘Traditional Synthesizer Music’ and recently one of the tracks of this compilation was released.Major Works
- The album ‘Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’ undoubtedly helped Aaron Funk gain recognition worldwide. The title of the album is in Hungarian and roughly means ‘Born Under A Bad Star’. The fond memories of his trip to Hungary had motivated Aaron Funk to compose this album. The songs of this compilation eventually went on to become chartbusters.Awards & Achievements
- The tracks of his 2005 album, ‘Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’, went on to become chartbusters upon release. They even secured the #25 spot in the list ‘Top 25 Albums of 2005’.The famous entertainment magazine 'Tiny Mix Tapes' had included ‘Rossz Csillag Alatt Született’ in its list of 100 favourite albums of the 2000-09 decade.Personal Life & Legacy
- In a candid interview, Aaron Funk confessed that he has had no formal training in music, baring a few piano lessons he learned during his younger days.Aaron Funk also admitted that he had portrayed his hometown Winnipeg in poor light. However, all these works, inspired by his younger days at the town had received a lot of acclaim.In 2015, Aaron Funk initiated a fundraiser campaign on the platform for independent artistes, ‘Bandcamp’. Apparently, he faced an acute financial crisis at that time. Luckily, this campaign turned out to be successful and he earned quite a bit.Trivia
- Aaron Funk is quite fond of cats and four felines, namely Chinaski, Fluff Master, Bobo and Kakarookee, were a part of the production of his album ‘Songs About My Cats’.He is deemed as the musician who reinvented the breakcore and set the stage for many other artists such as UndaCova, Xanopticon, Enduser and Datach'i.What is interesting to note is that apart from Venetial Snares, Funk has produced albums under other names such as Last Step and Vsnares. He has also produced singles under the names Last Step, Snares Man! and Snares, which appeared on compilations under the names Ventriloquist Snakes, Last Step, Puff, and Senetian Vnares.
How To CiteArticle Title- Aaron Funk BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/aaron-funk-557.phpLast Updated- January 16, 2017
People Also Viewed