Kris Allen Biography
Kristopher Neil Allen, better known as Kris Allen is an American singer, songwriter and musician who shot to fame by winning the eighth season of American Idol in 2009 beating his opponent Adam Lambert in the final episode. His interest in music was apparent from his childhood days—he started playing the viola in elementary school and taught himself to play the guitar by the time he was a teenager. He was so musically talented that he was invited to play in college orchestras while he was still in high school. He began writing songs while in college and played his first song at a local bar during his sophomore year. He was pursuing a degree in business from the University of Central Arkansas, but dropped out when he realized that he wanted to be a professional musician. He continued playing gigs at bars while working at a shoe shop to earn some money. He wrote and produced an album titled ‘Brand New Shoes’ with his college friends in 2007, copies of which he distributed to family and friends. Allen’s deep faith has guided him throughout his young life and he completed missionary work in several developing countries. He has an active interest in philanthropic activities and is involved with a number of charitable organizations.
- Kris was born as the elder son of Kimberly and Neil Allen in Arkansas. He has one younger brother.He attended the Mills University Studies High School and played viola in the school orchestra and won a spot in the Arkansas all-state orchestra. He also played piano and guitar as a teenager.After graduating from high school he enrolled at the University of Central Arkansas to pursue a degree in business management. During his stint at the college, he participated in Christian missionary work in various developing countries.He realized during his junior year that his true interest was music and dropped out to pursue music professionally.Continue Reading BelowYou May LikeRecommended Lists:
- He began his music career by performing gigs at local bars. He also started working as a shoe salesman to earn money and considered returning to college if he could not make it as a musician.In 2007, he wrote some songs and self-produced an album titled, ‘Brand New Shoes’ along with his college friends. The title of the album was a reference towards his work as a shoe salesman. He produced only 600 copies of the album which he distributed to family and friends.He auditioned for the eighth season of American Idol in 2009 and cleared the preliminary rounds. In the initial stages of the competition, he received very little screen time and his solo performances were also not shown.He played several instruments like the acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and piano during his performances. He was much appreciated for his folk inspired interpretations of modern pop songs.In the American Idol finals, he performed ‘Ain't No Sunshine’, ‘What's Going On’ and ‘No Boundaries.’ During the final results show, he performed a duet with Keith Urban, singing Urban’s single ‘Kiss a Girl.’ He was declared the winner of the eighth season of American Idol (2009), beating co-finalist Adam Lambert.After Kris won the American Idol, five of his songs made it to the Billboard hot 100, charting within the top 100. The songs ‘No Boundaries’ and ‘Heartless’ were among these.He released his first major album (overall second), the self-titled ‘Kris Allen’ in 2009. He had himself written the lyrics for nine of the twelve tracks on the album. The album included singles like ‘Live like We're Dying’, ‘The Truth’, and ‘Red Guitar.’His album, ‘Thank you Camellia’ was released in 2012. The name ‘Camellia’ refers to a home he once shared with his friends. It got positive reviews from fans and critics.He brought out his first Christmas album, ‘Waiting for Christmas’ in December 2012. It included the tracks ‘White Christmas’ and ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.’ It was very well received by his fans.Continue Reading BelowMajor Works
- Kris’s biggest achievement which brought him to the public eye is the winning of the eight season of American Idol in 2009. His win was somewhat of a shock to many—including himself—as his opponent Adam Lambert was considered the favorite.His Christmas album, ‘Waiting for Christmas’ was a much awaited holiday album in the Christmas season 2012. Even though none of the songs in the album were originally written by him, the album sent on to become the favorite holiday album of the year.Awards & Achievements
- He was nominated for the People’s Choice Award for Break-Out Musical Artist in 2010.His song ‘Live like we’re dying’ was nominated by the Billboard Music Awards for the ‘Top Christian Song’ category in 2011.Personal Life & Legacy
- He married his high school sweetheart Katy O'Connell in 2008. They are expecting their first childHe actively participates in philanthropic activities that support missionary work, music education, and charity. His fans organize charitable efforts on his birthdays as a gesture to honour him.Trivia
- He was the first married contestant to win the American Idol.He is a deeply religious person and was a member of Chi Alpha campus ministries during his college days.He would have returned to college to complete his degree if he had not won the American idol.
How To CiteArticle Title- Kris Allen BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/kris-allen-3347.phpLast Updated- April 11, 2018
People Also Viewed