Jahron Anthony Brathwaite, better known by his professional stage name PartyNextDoor, is a rapper, singer and songwriter from Canada. He dropped out of high school when he was 17 and decided to focus on music. He started by writing songs and successfully managed a publishing deal with Warner Bros. to write music. His goal, however, was to be an artist himself. He rose to fame in 2013 when he became the first artist signed to Drake’s OVO Sound record in partnership with Warner Bros. He subsequently released his first EP ‘PartyNextDoor’ the same year. His album became instantly successful and he began a long association with the popular rapper Drake. He then went on to release ‘PartyNextDoor Two’ in 2013 and ‘PNDColours’ in 2014. His biggest release occurred in 2016 when his album ‘PartyNextDoor 3’ was out. His albums managed to rank in the top 20 in the Billboard charts. Raised in a Jamaican household, he is influenced by his Caribbean roots and often uses it as an inspiration for his songs. Apart from his own songs, he has collaborated with other musical stars such as Rihanna, Drake, Big Sean, and Kylie Jenner.
- PartyNextDoor dreamed of entering the world of music at a young age. As an adolescent, he performed regularly at school and sang at his church. He was also the senior member in the choir. He started using Myspace, hoping to attract producers and labels, but decided to start producing his own beats. He also performed as Jahron B in his days in Mississauga. His dream came true when he was contacted on Myspace by a music manager. After this, he left for Los Angeles at the age of 17. He made a debut with the track ‘Make a Mil.’ His style is heavily influenced by 90s hip-hop music, and he considers Boyz II Men, Jodeci, and Blackstreet as his inspirations.
- After moving to Los Angeles, within a year, he signed a deal as a songwriter with Warner/Chappell. His songs were sent to Justin Bieber, which led to performances without any cuts. Soon he adopted the name ‘PartyNextDoor’ and wrote the deeply emotional song ‘Daughter.’ It was after this he decided that his music was intensely personal and stopped writing songs for others. He moved to Miami to meet more people and pitch himself as a musician. Sometime in 2013, OVO expressed its interest in his music and the label’s co-founder, Oliver El-Khatib, was impressed with his music enough to sign up a deal.
- He produced and released his debut ‘PARTYNEXTDOOR’ in 2013, after which he became a popular figure. The album debuted at #6 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart. He followed this up with ‘TWO’ in the same year. This album topped the R&B/Hip-Hop charts and managed to rank at 19 in the Billboard 200 list. His most popular song ‘Recognize’ continues to earn millions of clicks to this day. He next released ‘PNDCOLOURS’ in December 2014, which was a four-track EP. He also produced ‘Legend’, ‘Preach’, and ‘Wednesday Night Interlude’, songs from Drake’s ‘If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late’. He is often seen with Drake, who spearheads the OVO brand. Over the years, he has made it big by performing in various venues, conducting international tours, and being seen in high-profile parties. In August 2016, he released his third album ‘PartyNextDoor 3’, which was considered successful. He was later seen in ZAYN’s ‘Still Got Time’ and was credited with writing DJ Khaled’s ‘Shining’. In 2017, he released the sequel/extended album of ‘PNDCOLOURS’ titled ‘COLOURS 2’.
- He remains one of the youngest stars in the hip-hop scene today. PartyNextDoor has plans to continue to work on his music and tour the world as an artist.
- PartyNextDoor currently follows a no-selfie rule. He decided this after a photograph of him with a girl named Kehlani made the news on the website Baller Alert and indicated that he was in a relationship. He refused to discuss any questions regarding his relationship with Kehlani. It was also rumored that his song ‘Girl from Oakland’ was based on her.
- PartyNextDoor was born as Jahron Anthony Brathwaite on July 3, 1993 in Mississauga, Ontario, to Jamaican parents. He is rumored to be dating Kylie Jenner, but there are no confirmations from either of them. He is very reserved and private about his personal life.
- His professional name ‘PartyNextDoor’ was inspired by a name of a production filter in FruityLoops, a digital audio editing program.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed