Jahkoy Palmer Biography
Jahkoy Palmer, better known as ''Jahkoy,'' or ''JAHKOY,'' is a Canadian R&B singer and rapper. Signed under 'Def Jam Recordings,' Palmer embarked on his rap journey when he was just 11 years old. His creative instincts were heavily influenced by Shakespeare. Palmer eventually started composing raps and poems. He later adopted the stage name ''Raheem'' and worked for a few projects under the name. However, Palmer soon realized that ''Raheem'' was a common pseudonym in the rap scene. He thus went back to his birth name and released his debut mixtape in 2013. Palmer also wanted his talent to reach beyond Toronto. He also felt being confined only to the Canadian audience would stall his career. Hence, he moved to Hollywood to further his music career. Palmer then signed with a major label and collaborated with a few established singers. This pushed his career graph a few notches up. One of his most notable projects is 'Forward Thinking.' He is also famous for the singles 'Still in Love,' 'Hold Your Hand,' and 'Odd Future.’
- Palmer was born on March 23, 1994, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and was raised in the west side of Toronto, also known as the Jane and Finch area. He had an unstable childhood. He would live periodically with his mother, father, and grandmother. Palmer was a troublesome child. He attended 'Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic' school.
- Palmer had spent some time at Lawrence Heights, too, and had then moved downtown. He then went to Los Angeles after he graduated high school. He had also lived in Scarborough for a while.
- Back in high school, Palmer read a lot of Shakespeare. This inspired his creativity. He played the violin in school, partly because he was forced to learn the instrument. Palmer was 13 when he delivered his first stage show at an event called '106 & York' at 'York University' in Toronto.
- Palmer started composing poems and raps at the age of 11 years. He regards Pharrell Williams and Andre 3000 as his early influences. Soon after, Palmer began recording and rapping under the moniker ''Raheem,'' a name that had been given to him by his father’s side of the family. By 14, he was already on his way to become a rap star.
- As ''Raheem,'' Palmer had performed at several events throughout Toronto, such as the 'Manifesto Arts Festival' and the '106 and York Urban Arts Festival.'
- However, Palmer soon realized the cut-throat competition in the rap scene. He then decided to keep his birth name as his stage pseudonym and began creating music as ''Jahkoy.'' He was 19 then.
- In December 2013, Palmer released his debut mixtape, 'Dying to Live Forever,' under the name ''JAHKOY.'' He released his second mixtape, 'Forward Thinking,' in 2014. The mixtape showcased a difference in the sound and content, which he refers to as “bipolar.” The songs are now available on 'Soundcloud.' With this album, Palmer made a shift from predominantly rapping to predominantly singing.
- Palmer left Toronto to reach a broader audience. He then moved to Los Angeles, where he worked on a publishing deal with '1916 Management,' a company that manages Toronto producers Matthew Burnett and Jordan Evans.
- In 2015, Palmer released two non-album singles, ‘Still in Love’ and ‘Hold Your Hand,’ which often played on rotation on Zane Lowe, Drake, Elton John, and Pharrell's 'Beats 1' radio stations. The following year, he signed a contract with 'Def Jam Recordings.' He released his first single under the label in January 2016. The single was titled 'Odd Future' and premiered on Zane Lowe's 'Beats 1' radio station. It was later often played by Drake on 'OVO Sound Radio.'
- He also released 'California Heaven,’ featuring Schoolboy Q, in 2016. Palmer has collaborated with music celebrities Willow and Jaden Smith. Throughout 2017, Palmer and English singer and songwriter Ella Mai opened for singer-dancer Kehlani during her 'SweetSexySavage World Tour.'
- Palmer’s mother is Jamaican, while his father is from Oromo, East Africa, a region between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
- Palmer is currently dating Australian 'Instagram' star and fitness expert Tammy Hembrow. He confirmed the relationship through an 'Instagram' post in June 2019. However, after they saw the hype around their relationship, they unfollowed each other on 'Instagram.' Nevertheless, they rekindled their romance just 2 days later.
- Tammy confirmed that she had unfollowed Palmer just to get his attention. Palmer hit out after the two were accused of staging a break-up only for attention.
- An 'Instagram' video posted by one of Tammy’s friends showed the two spending quality time on the Gold Coast. The video was later re-shared on one of Tammy’s fan pages.
- Tammy has a son named Wolf and a daughter named Saskia from her previous boyfriend, Reece Hawkins, who was also her personal fitness trainer.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed