Parmeet Sethi Biography
Sun Sign: Libra
Born Country: India
Born in: Punjab, India
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Archana Puran Singh (m. 1992)
children: Aaryamann Sethi, Ayushmaan Sethi
education: Mumbai University
Parmeet Sethi is an Indian television and movie actor born who catapulted to fame with his portrayal of ‘Kuljeet’ in 1995 blockbuster movie ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’. His television career also picked up almost at the same time with the serial ‘Dastaan’. He further worked in a number of television serials and movies and played both positive and negative characters. Around a decade back, he also took a plunge into direction and screenplay writing with the movie, ‘Badmaash Company’. On personal front, he is married to a popular actress, Archana Puran Singh and has two sons from the union. Along with his wife, he became a part of a dance reality show as a contestant and another one as a host.
- Parmeet Sethi has worked for both television and films. In films, his big break came in 1995 with the super hit movie, ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’ where he co-starred with the likes of Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Anupam Kher and Amrish Puri. The movie, in which he played the character of ‘Kuljeet’, almost immediately made him into a household name. Thereafter he acted in a number of movies including ‘Diljale’, ‘Hero Hindustani’ and ‘Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain’ in the latter half of the 1990s.
- In the first decade of the 2000s, he worked in Hindi films like ‘Dhadkan’, ‘Om Jai Jagadish’, ‘Jhankaar Beats’, ‘Lakshya’, ‘Kaal’, ‘Baabul’ and ‘Dus Kahaniyaan’. Additionally, in 2004, he acted in a National Award winning Punjabi movie, ‘Des Hoyaa Pardes’ and an Israeli film ‘Turn Left at the End of the World’. Between 2015 and 2018, he appeared in quite a few more films like ‘Wedding Pullav’, ‘Dil Dhadakne Do’, ‘Rustom’ and ‘Laila Majnu’.
- Parmeet Sethi’s television career kicked off around mid-1990s with serials like ‘Dastaan’, ‘Kurukshetra’ and ‘Tujhpe Dil Qurbaan’. ‘Dastaan’ had him playing a businessman and was one of those serials that was shot in Dubai at a time when most of the shooting for television series was done within studios. In 2003, he landed another television role that increased his popularity. The show was based on Colombian drama ‘Yo soy Betty, la fea’ and was called ‘Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin’. In the series, his performance as ‘Raj Malhotra’, best friend of the lead actor, was highly appreciated. and he was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role category in the 2004 ‘Indian Telly Awards’.)
- Later, he worked in other television serials like ‘Saara Akaash’, ‘Detective Omkar Nath’, ‘Maayka’, ‘Sujata’, ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ and ‘My Name Ijj Lakhan’. In ‘My Name Ijj Lakhan’, he starred opposite his real life wife, Archana Puran Sigh.
- In 2020, he became a part of Neeraj Pandey directed Hotstar web series, ‘Special OPS’.
- Apart from acting in films and television serials, he has also appeared in the first season of dance reality show ‘Nach Baliye’ in 2005 as a contestant along with his wife. They ranked 5th amongst 10 celebrity couples participating in the show. The duo also went on to present the first season of another dance reality show, ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ in 2006.
- Parmeet Sethi turned director in 2010 with Yashraj productions ‘Badmaash Company’ starring Shahid Kapoor and Anushka Sharma. He also wrote the screenplay of the film and was nominated for the Best Debutante Director in the ‘Zee Cine Awards’.
- As a director, he worked in two other television series – ‘Sumit Sambhal Lega’ (with Deven Bhojani and Shashant Shah) in 2015 and ‘Har Mard Ka Dard’ in 2017. He wrote ‘Aasman Se Tapki’ and ‘Saamnewali Khirki’ as well.
- Parmeet Sethi was born in the Punjab, India on 14 October 1961. He completed his Bachelors of Commerce from Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics in Mumbai. Before he became an actor, he was a businessman. Niki Aneja Walia, another popular actress from television, is his cousin. In June 1992, he married the famous television and film actress, Archana Puran Singh and together they have two sons - Aaryamann and Ayushmaan. The couple first met at a common friend’s party and gradually started meeting more frequently. At the time they first met, Archana Puran Singh had a failed marriage and was in no mood to get into a relationship again. For her, men were insensitive and dominating; however, with Parmeet Sethi, her views changed totally. They stayed in a live-in relationship for a long period of time before they decided to get married.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed