Park Chanyeol Biography
Park Chanyeol, popularly known as Chanyeol, is a South Korean singer, rapper and actor. Over the years, he has also gained popularity as a songwriter. Chanyeol joined the all-boys music group ‘EXO’ and its sub-unit ‘EXO-K’ and later became the lead rapper of the group. Chanyeol has had a prolific and successful career. He has had collaborations with other celebrities, soundtrack appearances, songwriting credits and music video appearances. After making his debut in the year 2012, Chanyeol has so far bagged several awards and nominations.Some of his famous songs include ‘If We Love Again’, ‘Let Me Love You’ and ‘Don't Make Money’. As an actor, Chanyeol has performed in many TV series and in a couple of films. Some of the TV series that he waspart of include ‘To The Beautiful You’, ‘Exo Next Door’ and ‘Royal Villa.’
- Chanyeol was born in the capital city of South Korea, Seoul on November 27, 1992. He has an elder sister, Park Yoo-ra, who works as an announcer for thenews channel YTN.
- Chanyeol completed his elementary education from Hyundai High School. There, he developed a liking towards singing and stage performances and later formed a rock band with his schoolmates.
- After he graduated from his High School, Chanyeol shifted his focus towards acting. He then enrolled himself at an acting institute when he was just sixteen years old.
- In 2008, Chanyeol contested in the ‘Smart Model Contest’, sponsored by SM Entertainment, and secured the second position. Thereafter, he joined the in-house academy of SM Entertainment as a trainee.
- During his academy days, Chanyeol was highly influenced by American rapper Eminem and wished to become a rapper himself. After a training period of four years, Chanyeol made his debut in 2012.
- Chanyeol made a cameo appearance in a music video for the song ‘HaHaHa’, much before he made his debut with the band ‘EXO’. In 2010, he once again appeared in the music video of ‘Genie’ by Girls’ Generation.
- In 2014, he appeared in popular reality shows namely ‘Law of the Jungle’ and ‘Roommate’.
- In the same year, he debuted as a songwriter when he came up with the track ‘Run’ from the music album of the extended play ‘Overdose’. The track was later included in Henry’s EP ‘Fantastic’ and Zhou Mi's ‘Rewind’.
- Chanyeol also composed the song ‘Last Hunter’ which served as the original soundtrack for the reality adventure show ‘Law of the Jungle’. The same year, he made his silver screen debut with the Kang Je-gyu directed film 'Salut d'Amour'. Later, he was cast as the male lead in the web series ‘Exo Next Door’.
- In February 2017, Chanyeol was said to have collaborated with the Korean Music Copyright Association as a music producer under his pseudonym Loey.
- Delight – Chanyeol featured as a solo artist in this track from the album 'Exology Chapter 1'. It was released on December 22, 2014 and topped almost all major music charts in South Korea.
- If We Love Again – Chanyeol collaborated with the South Korean singer Chen in this OST from the television series 'Two Yoo Project Sugar Man'.
- Bad Girl – This track, featuring Chanyeol, is from the extended play 'Fantastic'. The EP was released on July 14, 2014. Out of all the tracks from the album, only this song secured a position in some of the major music charts.
- Rewind –Chanyeol featured along with the Chinese artist Zhou Mi in this title track. The album was released on October 13, 2014 and became a chartbuster.
- I Hate You –Chanyeol featured in this track from the album of his debut film 'So I Married an Anti-fan'. The track secured eleventh position on the music charts namely 'Billboard', 'CHN' and 'V Chart'.
- Stay With Me – This track featuring Chanyeol and the South Korean artist Punch is from the music album of the film 'Guardian: The Lonely and Great God'. Composed by Rocoberry, the song was penned by lyricist Lee Seung Joo.
- High Kick! – Chanyeol appeared in a cameo role as a high school student in the 71st episode of this South Korean comedy television series. The series aired its first episode in 2008 and was later broadcast internationally in Japan and Vietnam.
- SoI Married an Anti-fan –Chanyeol made his debut as a lead actor with this rom-com film. The film is an adaptation of the Korean cartoon comics of the same name. Chanyeol played Hou Zhun, a Korean superstar, who falls for a reporter. The film released on June 30, 2016 and was received well, both by the critics and the audience.
- To The Beautiful You – Chanyeol made a cameo appearance along with the other EXO-K members in the second episode of this romantic television series. The group is seen in a performance which becomes the plot point of the series.
- Exo Next Door – Chanyeol played himself in this web series. In the drama, he is the childhood crush of the female lead Ji Yeon-hee, played by Moon Ga-young. The series aired its first episode on April 9, 2015 and became the most popular South Korean web series.
- Missing 9 – Chanyeol played Lee Yeol, a drummer in a rock band named 'Dreamer', in this thriller television series. The series aired its first episode on January 18, 2017 and was later broadcast internationally in Japan and Thailand.
- 8th Korea Drama Awards (2015) – Chanyeol received two awards under categories, Best New Actor and Best Hallyu Star for his remarkable work in 'Exo Next Door'.
- 16th Top Chinese Music Awards (2016) – This was Chanyeol's first international award which he received under the category Most Popular Foreign Idol.
- 5th YinYueTai VChart Awards (2017) – Chanyeol received two awards in the same award function. The first award was won under the category Best Collaboration for the track 'I Hate You', which he shared with Yuan Shanshan. The second award that he received was under the category Most Popular Artist in South Korea.
- Asia Model Festival Awards (2017) – Chanyeol won the Asia OST Popularity award for the track 'Stay With Me', which he shared with Punch.
- There are many speculations about Chanyeol's personal life. Some of his fans have spread the rumor of him dating Sandara Park from ‘2NE1’. The rumors spread after hewas spotted several times with the singer.
- Much before he made his debut, Chanyeol was in a relationship with a girl named Kwak Saebyul. During their relationship, Kwak was preparing herself to be a flight attendant with which Chanyeol had an issue. They parted ways right after he officially joined ‘EXO’.
- Very recently, Chanyeol took up an interior designing course and is studying the same at Inha University.
- Chanyeol has many nicknames like 'Happy Virus', 'Wealthy Teeth' and 'King of Derps'.
- He also designed the hexagonal logo for his group ‘EXO.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed