Merrick Hanna Biography
Merrick Hanna is an American freestyle dancer who became famous at a young age for his ‘flo-bot’ style of dance. This multitalented teenager is also a popper, actor, and animator. Influenced by his grandmother, who takes dance classes even though she is in her eighties, Merrick started dancing when he was just nine years old. He began with robot-style dancing and soon started teaching himself to pop and wave by watching videos on YouTube. When he was ten, one of his dance videos went viral, and he started drawing attention for his brilliant performances. He then started taking part in local dance competitions at UC San Diego and even competed with adult dancers. During this time, he also received overwhelming response on social media, solidifying his position as an excellent young freestyle dancer. Next, he auditioned for the seasons 10 and 11 of ‘America's Got Talent’ but was not successful. Finally, he got through in season 12 of ‘America's Got Talent,’ and remained in the competition till the semifinals. Merrick has also acted and danced professionally on the stage and the small screen. He performed in two full-summer Shakespeare runs with the Intrepid Theater Company. Clear Talent Group now represents him. He has also modeled for popular brands like GAP Kids, H&M, and Honda.
- Passionate about dancing since the age of nine, Merrick Hanna is an expert in freestyle dancing and well known for his ‘flo-bot’ style of dance. He first became interested in dancing after he watched the ‘Jabbawockeez’ on ABDC. He then taught himself dancing by watching dancing shows on TV and online videos. He participated in ‘Lip Sync Battle Shorties’, an American reality television show aired on Nickelodeon. He also appeared in another dance competition show called ‘So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation’.
- Though he was unsuccessful in entering ‘America's Got Talent’ during the seasons 10 and 11, he eventually got through in season 12. He was much appreciated by the judges on the show but was finally eliminated in the second week of the semifinals. His last performance in the show was of dancing to Jon Bellion's ‘iRobot (The Human Condition)’. At one point during the performance, he appeared to be flying in the air! Although he received a standing ovation by judge Mel B, he could not receive enough votes from the audiences.
- He has also embarked on a career in acting and has performed in summer Shakespeare runs of ‘Much Ado about Nothing’ and ‘A Winter's Tale’. He appeared in an episode of ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ and stated in an interview that being on ‘Ellen…’ and dancing with Twitch were among his favorite dancing experiences so far.
- His dancing videos have gone viral several times on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. In June 2018, Merrick performed in YouTube Onstage, an annual entertainment showcase in Anaheim, California. Merrick loves to entertain the children at the Ecke Family YMCA with his unique dance style. He also helps with hip-hop classes for young kids at the Ecke Family YMCA charity events.
- Merrick Hanna was born on March 22, 2005 in San Diego, California, the United States, to Shawn Hanna and Aletha Hanna. He has a younger brother named Sagan Hanna.
- The teenager loves mathematics and likes working with numbers and solving number problems. He attends Khan Academy. He plans to become a robotics engineer while also continuing with a dancing career. He teaches himself to code in Java and intends to attend UCLA, from where his mother and grandparents had graduated. His father graduated from UCSD, and he sometimes practice with UCSD students at the popping club called Poptikz.
- Merrick loves to spend time with his friends at the beach, surfing, and playing Clash of Clans.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed