Matt Dillon Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Matthew Raymond Dillon
Born in: New Rochelle, New York, U.S.
father: Paul Dillon
mother: Mary Ellen
siblings: Brian Dillon, Katy Dillon, Kevin Dillon, Paul Dillon, Timothy Dillon
City: New Rochelle, New York
U.S. State: New Yorkers
education: Mamaroneck High School
Actor and director, Matt Dillon began his journey in the entertainment industry when he was just 14. A born actor, he shot to instant fame and became the heartthrob of many young girls. However, as time passed, he unfolded his more mature and serious side by working with some of the greatest directors and actors of his time. Adored for his charm, attractiveness and versatility, Dillon has made a special place in the film industry. He has also appeared in several music videos of famous artists/singers and has also worked in many TV series. After achieving average success through some of his initial films, Dillon delivered stellar performances, one by one in almost all the films he acted in. Soon, he was found grabbing the attention of various filmmakers by appearing in some of the most popular and remembered films in Hollywood. It did not take him much time to climb high up the success ladder and receive the limelight. Most of his films have been commercially successful, making him the favorite of many big filmmakers and also filmgoers. Voted by ‘People’s’ magazine as one of 2007's Sexiest Men Alive, Dillon is often highly regarded for his choice of films. He is one of those few actors who choose films which are unique and are not made with the sheer intention of gaining financial success.
- Dillon was born in a Roman Catholic family to Mary Ellen and Paul Dillon. He has five siblings: one sister and four brothers.
- While attending the Hommocks Middle School, he luckily got an offer to work in the teenage movie ‘Over the Edge’ in 1978, his debut film as an actor. He had to drop out from the school for the time being and later he joined the Mamaroneck High School.
- After making his debut with ‘Over the Edge’, he was offered to work in two more movies in 1980, a comedy, ‘Little Darlings’ and ‘My Bodyguard’, comedy-drama film, both of whom did well at box office.
- His next successful films were ‘The Outsiders’ and ‘Rumble Fish’ in 1983, in which he worked with Francis Ford Coppola, one of the most admired directors in Hollywood.
- In 1989, he was immensely praised for his performance in ‘Drugstore Cowboy’.
- He shot into prominence after acting alongside Academy Award winning actor, Nicole Kidman in the movie ‘To Die For’ in 1995.
- He starred in ‘Wild Things’ and ‘There's Something About Mary’ in 1998 for which he received great critical appreciation.
- In 2002, he entered the field of direction with the film ‘City of Ghosts’. He also wrote the film and acted in it.
- In 2004, he appeared in the Academy Award winning movie ‘Crash’, a crime drama produced, and directed by Paul Haggis. Matt played the role of LAPD officer John Ryan and won a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
- He hosted the Saturday Night Live on March 11, 2006, in which he mimicked several artists.
- In 2006, he appeared in the movie ‘You, Me and Dupree’ which received rave reviews and he also narrated the documentary film ‘Once in a Lifetime: The Extraordinary Story of the New York Cosmos’.
- He has also appeared in several TV series, including ‘Modern Family’.
- In 2012, he appeared in ‘Girl Most Likely’ and is currently busy with three of his upcoming films ‘The Art of the Steal’, ‘Whiskey Bay’ and ‘Sunlight Jr.’
- He appeared in ‘There's Something About Mary’ (1998) which was a blockbuster and made $3,698,84651 at box-office and he received several awards and nominations for playing a negative role.
- His Most successful film by far is the 2004 movie ‘Crash’ which was nominated for six Academy Awards, out of which it bagged three. The film was made with a modest budget of $7 million, but amassed a whopping $98,410,061 at the box-office.
- In 1999, he was awarded the ‘MTV Movie Award for Best Villain’ for romantic comedy ‘There's Something About Mary’.
- For portraying ‘Officer John Ryan’ in the movie ‘Crash’ he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 2005 and won the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Acting Ensemble.
- Dillon was in a relationship with popular actress, Cameron Diaz, for three long years.
- His younger brother, Kevin Dillon, who has also chosen a career in the entertainment business appears in the famous HBO comedy series, ‘Entourage’.
- Dillon’s grandmother is the sister of famous cartoonist Alex Raymond, the creator of the comic strip ‘Flash Gordon’, ‘Jungle Jim’ and ‘Rip Kirby’.
- This famous actor who rose to prominence with the Academy Award winning movie ‘Crash’ was the original choice for the role of ‘Richard’, the protagonist in the movie ‘The Blue Lagoon’, from which he opted out.
- This Hollywood actor was the first choice for the role of ‘Butch Coolidge’ in the movie ‘Pulp Fiction’.
- This actor, who became more famous after playing a supporting role in the Oscar-winning movie ‘Crash’, is an avid fan of the baseball club, ‘New York Mets’ and even collects Mookie Wilson baseball cards.
Matt Dillon Movies
1. Over the Edge (1979)
2. The Outsiders (1983)
3. Crash (2004)
(Thriller, Crime, Drama)
4. Rumble Fish (1983)
5. My Bodyguard (1980)
(Family, Comedy, Drama)
6. Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
7. Beautiful Girls (1996)
(Drama, Comedy, Romance)
8. Tex (1982)
|1999||Best Villain||There's Something About Mary (1998)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed