Call her an actress or a fashion designer, an author or a businesswoman, a producer or an equestrian, Mary-Kate Olsen is all these and more! Along with her twin sister Ashley Olsen, she forms the multi-talented sister duo who has carved a niche in the world of entertainment and fashion with their artistry. Coming from a completely unrelated background, the uncertainties that prevailed in the celebrity world did not deter the twins from carving their route. In fact, the prodigious sisters started off even before hitting their first birthday. At nine months, the Olsen sisters’ career as actors started, as they shared the role of Michelle Tanner on the ABC sitcom ‘Full House.’ Their careers evolved as they grew up. They even started a limited liability company Dualstar which produced a long string of TV movies and direct-to-video releases featuring the girls. Having made their mark on the world of acting, they proceeded to their first love, fashion. Today, the sisters are proud owners and founders of the luxury fashion brands ‘The Row’ and ‘Elizabeth and James’, and of the more affordable lines ‘Olsenboye’ and ‘StyleMint’. With their entrepreneurial skills, they have upscaled their company to newer heights. In 2007, Forbes jointly ranked the twins as the eleventh-richest women in entertainment, with an estimated combined net worth of $100 million.
- Mary-Kate Olsen was born on June 13, 1986, in Sherman Oaks, California, to Jarnette ‘Jarnie’ and David ‘Dave’ Olsen. While her mother was a personal manager, her father worked as a real estate developer and mortgage banker. She has a twin sister, Ashley, an older brother Trent and a younger sister Elizabeth Olsen.Her parents divorced and her father remarried; she has two half-siblings from her father’s second marriage.Career
- At merely nine months of age, Mary-Kate Olsen’s career as an actress started. Together with her twin sister, she shared the role of Michelle Tanner on the ABC sitcom ‘Full House.’ The twin sisters portrayed the role from 1987 until 1995.In the early 1990s, along with her twin sister, she started a limited liability company Dualstar which produced a long string of TV movies and direct-to-video releases featuring the girls. The company was basically created to produce Mary-Kate and Ashley-branded products.While their careers in television movies and direct-to-video films was on a roll, the Olsen sisters made their big screen debut in 1995 for the feature film ‘It Takes Two’. Two years later, they returned to television as guests on an episode of the famous sitcom ‘Sister, Sister’ opposite rival twin actresses Tia and Tamera Mowry.Following their stint in ‘Full House’, the Olsen sisters starred in two other sitcoms including ‘Two of a Kind’ and ‘So Little Time.’ While the former was a short-lived one, lasting for just a season, the latter ran for two seasons. They even featured in the animated series ‘Mary-Kate and Ashley in Action!’In 2004, the Olsen twins took direct control of Dualstar, becoming joint-CEOs and presidents of the company. At that time, the company had its merchandise being carried in over 3,000 stores in America and 5,300 stores worldwide.In 2006, Mary-Kate Olsen came up with her first solo appearance in a movie, ‘Factory Girl’ as Molly Spence. Following ‘Factory Girl’, Olsen was next seen in 2008 film ‘The Wackness.’ The same year, she also made a guest appearance on the ABC comedy ‘Samantha Who?’ as a self-destructive girl that Samantha tries to help.In 2011, Olsen made her final acting appearance in the motion picture adaption of the Alex Flinn novel ‘Beastly.’ The move came in after the sisters indicated their interest to focus their energy on their career in fashion. The twins realized that their real calling lay in fashion and hence officially retired from acting.Not many know that while pursuing a career in acting, the Olsen twins simultaneously worked on their fashion career as well. In fact, early in their career, they started a clothing line in Wal-Mart stores across America for girls ages 4 to 14 as well as a beauty line called ‘Mary-Kate and Ashley: Real Fashion for Real Girls.’Currently, the twin sisters head a designer fashion label, ‘The Row’ as well as ‘Elizabeth and James’, ‘Olsenboye’ and ‘StyleMint’ retail collections (all of which they co-founded). They are also the creative directors for Superga. In spring 2013, Mary-Kate and Ashley released an ‘Elizabeth and James’ perfume.Acting and fashion apart, the Olsen twins have extended their artistic talent to the written world as well. Together, they have co-authored a book titled ‘Influence’ featuring interviews with fashion designers that have inspired the twins’ fashion house.Major Works
- In the field of acting, Mary-Kate Olsen’s most illustrious work came in the popular ABC sitcom ‘Full House’, wherein she and her twin shared the role of Michelle Tanner. They starred in the series from 1987 until 1995 and even won several awards for their portrayal.As fashion designers, the twin sisters’ most accomplished achievements came when they co-founded their luxury brands ‘The Row’ and ‘Elizabeth and James.’ The duo also came up with more affordable lines of fashion under the brands ‘Olsenboye’ and ‘StyleMint.’Awards & Achievements
- The Olsen twins’ acting in ‘Full House’ won them numerous awards including the Young Artists Awards in the category of Best Young Actress Under Five Years of Age in 1989, Outstanding Performance by an Actress Under Nine Years of Age in 1990 and Exceptional Performance by an Actress under Ten Years of Age in 1992.In 1994, they won the Best Youth Actress award in Youth Artists Awards for ‘Double, Double, Toil and Trouble’.In 1996 and 1999, the twins won Kids Choice Awards for Favourite Movie Actress and Favourite TV Actress respectively for ‘It Takes Two.’In 2012, the sisters won the CFDA Fashion Awards and the ‘WSJ’ magazine’s Innovator of The Year Award. The duo yet again won the CFDA Fashion Awards in 2015.Personal Life & Legacy
- Mary-Kate Olsen dated several renowned celebrities such as David Katzenberg, photographer Maxwell Snow and artist Nate Lowman before finally hitting it off with Olivier Sarkozy, half-brother of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, in 2012. The two officially got engaged in 2014.Olsen and Sarkozy tied the nuptial knot on November 27, 2015, at a private residence in New York City.In mid-2004, Olsen announced she had entered treatment for anorexia nervosa. In November 2007, she was hospitalized for a reported kidney infection.Philanthropic Works
- The Olsen twins have constantly supported charitable organisations and NGOs. In 2004, they made it to the news by signing a pledge to allow all the women workers in Bangladesh that sew their line of clothing full maternity leave. The National Labor Committee praised the twins for their commitment to worker rights.In 2011, Mary-Kate and Ashley designed an Olsenboye Change Purse and donated the money to ‘Pennies From Heaven’. The same year, they also teamed up with TOMS Shoes to design footwear for kids without shoes in more than 20 countries worldwide.Net Worth
- The Olsen sisters’ combined net worth comes up to $300 million.
How To CiteArticle Title- Mary-Kate Olsen BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/mary-kate-olsen-29797.phpLast Updated- February 01, 2017
People Also ViewedAlso Listed In20th Century | 21st Century | 20th Century Writers | 20th Century Entrepreneurs | 20th Century Film & Theater Personalities | 20th Century Actresses | 20th Century Fashion | 20th Century Fashion Designers | 21st Century Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century Actresses | 21st Century Business People | 21st Century Writers | 20th Century American Writers | 20th Century American Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century American Film & Theater Personalities | 21st Century American Writers