Marc Anthony Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Marco Antonio Muñiz
Born in: New York City
Spouse/Ex-: Dayanara Torres, Jennifer Lopez
father: Felipe Muñiz
mother: Guillermina Muñiz
siblings: Yolanda Muñiz
children: Ariana Anthony, Cristian Anthony Muñiz Anthony, Emme Marbiel Muñiz Anthony, Maximilian David Muñiz, Ryan Anthony Muñiz Anthony
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Marco Antonio Muniz, popularly known as Marc Anthony, is an American singer, songwriter, actor, and record and television producer. He was born and brought up in New York City in a Spanish Harlem. He started singing for freestyle and Underground New York house music gigs. It was when Anthony released his first Spanish album ‘Otra Nota’ that he was noticed by the world and soon after that, after the release of his many Spanish and English albums and hit singles, he was established as the most popular tropical salsa artist of all times. He has been nominated for the Grammys for six times and won two Grammys for ‘Contra La Corriente’ and ‘Amar Sin Mentiras’. Anthony has acted in many movies as well like ‘Man on Fire’, ‘In the times of the Butterflies’ opposite Salma Hayek and ‘El Cantante’ opposite Jennifer Lopez. He was married to his old friend singer/ actress Jennifer Lopez for 8 years and has two twins with her.
- Marc Anthony was born to Guillermina and Felipe Muniz. His father was a small time musician and a hospital lunchroom worker while his mother was a housewife.
- Anthony is of Puerto Rican descent and grew up in the Spanish Harlem and El Barrio with his seven siblings. His real name is Marco Antonio Muniz; he was named after the famous Mexican singer of the same name.
- Anthony started singing from a very young age and realized that he needs to work on his stage presence to become famous. Frankie Cutlass, a platinum producer and songwriter also grew up with in the same vicinity.
- Anthony started his singing career by becoming a vocalist for freestyle and Underground New York house music. He got small-time gigs for ‘Menudo’ and ‘Latin Rascals. In 1988, he came out with his album ‘Rebel’.
- Around same time, he wrote and produced for Sa-Fire for his album ‘Boy I’ve Been Told’. He also did back-up singing for Ann-Marie, for her ‘With or Without You’ which was produced by Little Louie Vega and Todd Terry.
- In 1990, the producers of ‘With or Without You’ offered Anthony another opportunity and he wrote lyrics and gave vocals with Chrissy I-eece for ‘You Should know By Now’.
- In 1992, he provided he gave vocals for ‘Love Change’ and ‘Here’s Your Hat’. During the same period, he got into collaboration with the producer Little Louie Vega who gave him another freestyle hits like ‘Ride On The Rhythm’ and ‘When The Night Is Over’. Anthony eventually changed his style to Salsa.
- In 1993, Anthony’s Spanish debut album ‘Otra Nota’ was released. He was initially reluctant to make a Spanish album and declined an offer from ‘RMM Records’ offer but later changed his mind. It established him as a new star in Salsa.
- In 1995, he came out with another Salsa album called ‘Todo asu tiempo’. The album did very well and was declared gold in US and Puerto Rico. He won a Billboard award for it and was nominated for a Grammy.
- Around this time, he started with his acting career by doing supporting role in the movies like: ‘Hackers’, ‘Big Night’ and ‘The Substitute’. He also did a musical on the stage called ‘The Capeman’ with Puerto Rico singer Nazario.
- In 1999, his third album was released, ‘Contra La Coriente’. He did a TV special ‘Marc Anthony: The Concert from Madison Square Garden’ which was televised on HBO. It was the first salsa album ever on the Billboard 200 Chart.
- During the same time, he left RMM and started working with producers Afanasieff, Rooney, Dan Shea and Jerkins and released his first English album ‘Marc Anthony’. Hit single ‘You Sang To Me’ was a part of the album.
- In 2001, Anthony came out with another Spanish album ‘Libre’. It included hit singles like ‘Viviendo’, ‘Celos’, etc. The album was a hit on the Billboard Top Latin Albums chart. He also acted in the movie ‘In the Time of the Butterflies’.
- In 2004, he released a Latin pop album, ‘Amar Sin Mentiras’ and after the release of the album he came out with the dance version of the same tracks in the album ‘Valio La Pena’. It won two Latin Grammy Awards.
- Around same time, he acted in the hit Hollywood motion picture called ‘Man on Fire’, opposite Denzel Washington. He played the role of a wealthy businessman in the movie who hires professionals to protect his little daughter.
- During the late 2000s, he released collection of his greatest hits called ‘Sigo Siendo Yo’ (2006) and ‘Iconos’ (2010) which was a tribute from his side to the greatest Latin artists like Jose Jose, Juan Gabriel, etc.
- In 2007, Anthony acted in the movie called ‘El Cantante’ which was a drama on the life of the great salsa artist Hector Lavoe. His ex-wife Jennifer Lopez also acted in the movie alongside him and it was critically well received.
- In 2011, Anthony appeared in a Latin talent series called ‘Q’Viva! The Chosen’, which was created by Simon Fuller. He judged the show alongside his ex-wife and singer Jennifer Lopez and Jamie King.
- In 2013, his salsa album ‘3.0’ was released. It was declared Platinum and included the hit single ‘Vivir Mi Vida’. He went on the tour ‘Vivir Mi Vida World Tour’ and travelled across 15 countries.
- Anthony was nominated for six Grammys and won two of them. He won the award for ‘Contra La Corriente’ (1999) and ‘Amar Sin Mentiras’ (2005). He was nominated for ‘Todo a su tiempo’ (1996), ‘I Need to Know’ (2000), ‘You Sang to Me’ (2001), and ‘Libre’ (2006).
- In 1994, he and his long-term girlfriend Debbie Rosado, a NYC police officer, had a daughter called Ariana. They separated after that.
- He married former Miss Universe Dayanora Torres on May 9, 2000. They got separated in early 2002 but reconciled again in December 2002. But the marriage didn’t last long and they separated again in October 2003. The couple has two sons.
- In 2004, he started dating his old friend and singer/actress Jennifer Lopez. They got married the same year. They had a secret wedding and the couple gave birth to twins, Emme and Maximillian. They got divorced after 8 years of marriage.
- Anthony and Lopez’s wedding ceremony was kept a secret, even from the guests. The guests thought that they were being invited to an ‘afternoon party’ and had no idea that they were to attend a wedding.
- Anthony and Lopez sold the first photos of the twins to the People magazine for 6 million US dollars.
Marc Anthony Movies
1. Man on Fire (2004)
(Drama, Crime, Thriller, Action)
2. Carlito's Way (1993)
(Drama, Crime, Thriller)
3. Big Night (1996)
4. Bringing Out the Dead (1999)
5. Hackers (1995)
(Crime, Comedy, Drama, Thriller)
6. The Substitute (1996)
(Crime, Action, Drama, Thriller)
7. El cantante (2006)
(Music, Biography, Drama)
|2020||Best Tropical Latin Album||Winner|
|2005||Best Latin Pop Album||Winner|
|1999||Best Tropical Latin Performance||Winner|
|2001||Most Performed Songs from Motion Pictures||Runaway Bride (1999)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed