Louisa Johnson Biography
Louisa Johnson is a popular English singer and songwriter. She became popular after winning the UK version of the music reality show ‘The X Factor.’ Louisa began her musical journey in her early teenage years, and in 2015, she auditioned for ‘The X Factor,’ where she became the fan favorite instantly. After winning the show, she debuted with the cover of ‘Forever Young’ by Bob Dylan, which also happened to be her winning song in the final episode of the show. The song quickly climbed up to 9th spot on the ‘UK Singles Chart’ and Louisa enjoyed immense fame, which crossed the national boundaries. Amidst speculations that she would follow the beaten path of releasing her debut album as soon as possible, after her ‘The X Factor’ win, she took her own sweet time and released ‘Tears,’ a single, in May 2016. The song was an immediate success. She subsequently released two more singles, ‘So Good’ and ‘Best Behaviour.’ She won a “platinum” certification for ‘Tears’, a “gold” certification for ‘So Good,’ and a “silver” certification for ‘Best Behaviour,’ all of them awarded by the ‘British Phonographic Industry’ (BPI). One of the most talented new artists on the block, Louisa may release her debut album sometime in early 2018.
- Louisa Johnson was born in Essex, England, on January 11, 1998, into a financially weak English family. Her father worked as a construction worker, and her mother was a driving instructor. Louisa did not enjoy a cushy childhood, but she had parents who supported her in everything she did.
- Louisa was neither too bright nor too popular in school. She got bullied quite a lot, which had her getting bored of school life. She somehow convinced her parents to let her drop out of school and to allow her to get enrolled at a performing arts school, where she trained in dance, music, and acting.
- She was interested in singing since her early teenage years. Her parents allowed her to spend countless hours practicing singing, after school. All of this hard work led to her auditions for ‘The X Factor,’ and her life was not the same any longer.
- In April 2015, Louisa auditioned for the twelfth series of ‘The X Factor’ and sang her rendition of ‘Who’s Lovin’ You.’ According to her, it was a difficult song to sing, and she thought it would impress the judges in a good way.
- She began her run in the show with a standing ovation and praises from the judges. In the next few episodes, the show saw her singing songs such as ‘Proud Mary,’ ‘Lay Me Down,’ and ‘And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going.’ Somehow, she reached the finals, surprising everyone. She was immensely praised by the judges and by her audiences. She was mentored by Rita Ora all the while.
- At her eagerly awaited finale performance, she presented her rendition of ‘Forever Young’ by Bob Dylan. She mesmerized everyone with her performance, and the video of the performance went viral on social media. This helped spread her popularity among those who were not even following the show.
- In December 2015, she won the show, at the tender age of 17, and in the process, she became the youngest-ever winner of the show.
- She released her finale performance on a radio show later, and it immediately entered the ‘UK Singles Chart’ at the 9th spot, which was a major achievement for a young star such as Louisa.
- Although the song was immensely loved, it was the lowest-positioned song on the music chart, by any ‘The X Factor’ winner. This was disheartening, but several experts claimed that this was due to factors that had nothing to do with her popularity or her performance.
- As the world awaited the first album from this newly famous singer, they expected her to follow in the footsteps of the previous winners of the show, who had released their debut albums as soon as their respective shows ended. However, Louisa Johnson waited quite a lot and honed her skills further, before revealing her debut single ‘Ruin it With A Kiss,’ which will be featured in her debut album.
- Speaking about the delay in the release of her debut album, she is said to have stated that she is not yet satisfied with the way things are shaping up and that she wants absolute perfection, as her debut album will set the course for her future career.
- In May 2016, she surprised her fans with the release of a single, ‘Tears,’ in collaboration with ‘Clean Bandit.’ The song became an instant hit, reaching the top 5 in both the Scottish and the English charts. The song created waves across the rest of Europe too. The ‘BPI’ certified the song as “platinum.”
- While working on her debut album, Louisa also performed in various tours and events. In June, she sang ‘Tears’ in front of a crowd at the ‘Summertime Ball.’
- In October 2016, she released another solo single, titled ‘So Good,’ which reached the top 20 of the UK charts and secured a “gold” certification from the ‘BPI.’ This further raised concerns about her debut album, which was getting delayed.
- Her next single was titled ‘Best Behaviour.’ It managed to reach the top 50 in the UK charts and secured a “silver” certification from the ‘BPI.’
- Her other collaborations include ‘Weak’ with AJR and ‘Bridge over Troubled Water,’ which was performed for the ‘Artists for Grenfell’ charity initiative.
- No release date has been announced for her debut album yet. Louisa states that she wants to slowly build up to the release of her album, which needs some more time to grow as a strong musical piece.
- Louisa Johnson remains very secretive about her personal life, but there have been indications that she might be in a long-term relationship with a friend from her school days.
- Louisa also happens to be a big fan of football and the ‘English Premier League.’ She is a major supporter of the generally underdog team ‘West Ham United.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed