English singer-songwriter Jasmine Thompson is someone who you'd call a precocious talent. At the age of 16, she has established herself as a seasoned and accomplished artist with millions of fans around the world. Three years into what promises to be a long-lived and illustrious music career, her discography includes two studio albums, three extended plays and numerous singles.
- Unsurprisingly, Jasmine Thompson was discovered by the greatest 'talent agent' of our times - YouTube. At the age of 11, she started covering popular songs of famous singers and her ability to seamlessly segue between genres and artists quickly earned her a following. Now, these were not mere expressionless renditions of original songs; these were distinctly unique and delightfully refreshing versions that announced the arrival of a genuine talent.In mid-2013, Jasmine posted a cover of Passenger's 'Let Her Go' on YouTube. This was a game-changer in many ways. The song, which has as many as 32 million views as of late 2016, not only made her a darling of the internet, but essentially launched her professional singing career. In September 2013, she released her debut album, 'Bundle of Tantrums', which included both original songs by the singer-songwriter and covers. Her cover version of Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody', released in the same month, went on to reach No.32 on the UK singles chart and was featured in Sainsbury's ad campaign.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Continue Reading BelowWhat Makes Jasmine Thompson So Special
- An interesting aspect of Jasmine's career has been that many of her covers have went on to take the music charts by storm and in some cases have been way more popular than the originals! That alone should speak volumes for the powerhouse performer that she is. Another thing about her is that unlike many of her contemporaries, she has a greater grasp of the fundamentals of music. She was into music from a very young age and started learning piano when she was just eight. Perhaps this combination of innate talent, proper nurture, and dedication is what makes her a versatile singer who is not genre-bound.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Beyond Fame
- In late 2013, Jasmine released 'Under the Willow Tree', the first EP of her career. This was followed by her second album, 'Another Bundle of Tantrums', which peaked at No.126 on UK Albums Chart upon its release in April 2014. Her cover of R.E.M's 'Everybody Hurts' was used in the trailer of BBC's ‘EastEnders.’ With her rising popularity came high-profile collaborations and tours; notable collaborations include the 2014 EDM hit 'Sun Goes Down', with German musician Robin Schulz.A major milestone in Jasmine's budding career came in 2015, when she signed with Atlantic Records. In the same year, she released her first single on the label, 'Adore', which became a huge hit, especially in Europe. Hot on the heels of the 'Adore' EP came the collaboration with German producer Felix Jaehn for a remix of Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody', which became a worldwide hit. Besides topping the charts in Germany, Israel, Austria, Netherlands and Hungary, the remix peaked within the top ten charts in Finland, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Romania, Sweden and Denmark. If anything, this was a testimony to the fact that in a matter of just three years, Jasmine Thompson had gone from being an internet star to an international star!Behind the Curtains
- Born and brought up in Central London, Jasmine was encouraged by her parents from a young age to pursue music. Along with her brother Jed, she took to piano and attended music lessons from early on. Credit goes to her parents for identifying her potential very early on; in fact, it was under her mother's guidance that she started posting videos on YouTube, when she was just ten years old.The fame has not been without its downsides. Jasmine had to be home-schooled, but according to the singer, this was not much of a disadvantage - she had already had friends whom she remains close to till this day. Travelling around the world at such a young age has made Jasmine wiser than her years, and this is evident in the way she carries herself. She enjoys travelling and meeting new people - experiences that have proved beneficial in developing herself as a song-writer.As of now, Jasmine is focusing on doing more original music, and confesses that her busy schedule has kept her from having some of the more 'normal' things that most girls her age seek. She confesses that she has never been in a serious relationship before and 'Adore', her hit single, is about the ultimate love of her life - music. Now, that's a rare thing - a love letter to music by an artist in an age where most chart-toppers are essentially break-up songs! It's no surprise that music loves Jasmine Thompson back with equal ardour - and will continue to do so for years to come.Trivia
- Jasmine is half-English (on her father's side) and half-Chinese (on her mother's side).
How To CiteArticle Title- Jasmine Thompson BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/jasmine-thompson-16218.phpLast Updated- December 29, 2017
People Also Viewed