Laurene Powell Jobs Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Laurene Powell
Born in: West Milford, New Jersey, United States
Famous as: Businesswoman, Widow of Steve Jobs
Spouse/Ex-: Steve Jobs (m. 1991–2011)
siblings: Brad Powell, Tracy Powell
U.S. State: New Jersey
education: University of Pennsylvania, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, The Wharton School
Laurene Powell Jobs is an American businesswoman who founded Emerson Collective, an organization that advocates for policies in support of education and immigration reform, environmental conservation, and social justice. She is the co-founder of Terravera, a natural foods company, as well. She is also known as the widow of tech-wizard and co-founder of Apple, Steve Jobs. Besides these, she is the co-founder of College Track, a nonprofit organization that offers comprehensive help to disadvantaged high school students – the ones who lack the resources but have the will to attain higher education. Her involvement with all these business and philanthropic ventures has not just made her one of the most successful businesswomen of today, but has also made her a big socialite. Despite being a billionaire, this American personality is known for her kind heart and down to earth nature. As of now, she resides in Palo Alto with her three children. A well-known international figure, she is immensely popular not just because she is a big name in the world of entrepreneurs, but also because of her philanthropic acts that have helped her win the hearts of millions of people.
- Laurene Powell Jobs was born on November 6, 1963 in West Milford, New Jersey. She attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences and earned her B.A. degree in Political Science followed by a B.S. degree in Economics from Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in the year 1985. Later on, she completed her M.B.A. from Stanford Graduate School of Business in 1991.
- Laurene Powell Jobs started her career by working at Merrill Lynch Asset Management. She also served as a fixed income trading strategist at Goldman Sachs for three years. She co-founded a natural foods company named ‘Terravera’ that was later sold to the retailers of Northern California. She served as one of the board of directors at ‘Achieva’, a company that helps students to be more efficient at standardized testing through its online tools. Besides this, Laurene Powell Jobs has done a lot to improve the lives of millions of students. She, along with a fellow entrepreneur, Carlos Watson, formed ‘College Track’, a nonprofit organization that helps disadvantaged students to complete their education. Apart from this, the ambitious and philanthropic lady also founded ‘Emerson Collective’. In addition, she serves on the advisory board at ‘Udacity’, a company that offers affordable education to students.
- Laurene Powell Jobs is actively involved with several non-profit organizations in addition to her corporate commitments. She serves as a Director at NewSchools Venture Fund’s Investment Arm. She is one of the members of the Board of Directors at Teach for America and is also involved with Stand for Children and Conservation International. Besides this, Laurene serves as a member of the advisory boards at CleanFish, Inc., Center for Community Partnerships at University of Pennsylvania and the Council on Foreign Relations. She also serves as a director at New America Foundation, Global Fund for Women, EdVoice, KQED (PBS), and ODC San Francisco.
- In September 2015, Laurene Powell Jobs launched a project ‘Called XQ: The Super School Project’. This project, worth $50 million, aims to create educational institutions with new approaches to education. Its efforts include altering school schedules, technologies, and curricula so as to replace the nation’s old high school education model.
- Powell Jobs was ranked by Forbes as the 29th most powerful woman in the world in the year 2014. According to the same list, the American businesswoman is the richest woman in the technological industry. Apart from these achievements, Barack Obama honored Powell Jobs by selecting her for the White House Council for Community Solutions.
- Laurene Powell Jobs was born in West Milford, New Jersey. She met Steve Jobs in 1989 during his lecture at Stanford Business School, where she was a new MBA student. The two connected instantly and ended up having dinner together that night. On March 18, 1991, they got married at the Ahwahnee Hotel. In September 1991, Laurene gave birth to their son, Reed, followed by daughters Erin and Eve in 1995 and 1998 respectively. In 2011, Steve Jobs died due to pancreatic cancer and Laurene inherited his Steven P. Jobs Trust. This trust which is presently known as the Laurene Powell Jobs Trust was worth over $7 billion at that time.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed