Kim Soo-hyun Biography
Nationality: South Korean
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Born in: Seoul, South Korea
Famous as: South Korean Actor
father: Kim Chung-hoon
siblings: Kim Ju-na
City: Seoul, South Korea
awards: 2014 · My Love from the Star - Baeksang Arts Award for Most Popular Male in Television
2013 · Secretly; Greatly - Grand Bell Award for Best New Actor
2012 - Blue Dragon Film Award Popular Star Award - Male
2012 · Moon Embracing the Sun - Baeksang Arts Award for Best Leading Actor in TV
2014 · Secretly; Greatly - Baeksang Arts Award for Best New Actor in Film
2015 -Grand Bell Award Popularity Award
2014 · Secretly
Greatly - Baeksang Arts Award for Most Popular Actor in Film
Kim Soo-hyun is a popular South Korean actor known for his diverse roles in many acclaimed Korean films and TV series’. The quality of his work has provided him with several honours over the years such as a place in the Forbes Korea Power Celebrity and many film and TV awards for his performances. Born and brought up in Seoul, Kim was not massively popular in school, in fact he was the opposite; a shy, timid, low self confident teenager, who couldn’t even speak to strangers without getting nervous. His mother got him out of this phase, and Kim started acting, in order to challenge himself further more and by a stroke of luck and hard work, he found himself working in ‘Kimchi Cheese Smile’, a 2007 Korean TV show which happened to be his acting debut. After getting rejected for the popular show ‘Boys over Flowers’, Kim didn’t feel disheartened and went ahead with auditioning. And as of now, he has some of the best Korean films of last decade to his credit, such as ‘The Thieves’ and ‘Secretly, Greatly’. His long list of successful TV shows includes ‘Dream High’, ‘Moon Embracing the Sun’ and ‘The Producers’.
- Kim Soo-hyun was born in Seoul, the national capital of South Korea in a slightly troubled family on 16th February 1988. His father, who happened to be a musician, spent most of his time making music and ignoring his family in the process. He was the lead vocalist in the Korean band ‘Seven Dolphins’ and left his family when Kim was still too young to understand what it means to have a life without a father.
- This affected his psyche greatly, as Kim turned into a very shy, awkward and low self esteemed kid and his mother was worried about that. He would struggle to speak out in front of the strangers, and this could have been a major trait which would have haltered his social growth. The mother came to the rescue and enrolled him into drama classes as she believed that it will enable him to gain some exposure to the art of acting, which is a good way to tackle your fears as performing in front of a crowd was no joke. Kim slowly grew into it and by the time he was out of it, he was already a good actor and a changed person.
- Before he got enrolled into a high school, he was already a confident person and did some acting in the school, receiving praises from everywhere. His charming looks were a big help and many people predicted in his high school days, that this guy was destined to become a national heartthrob.
- Just out of the high school, he had already started playing some parts in the Korean TV shows, and in 2009, he got himself enrolled in the Chung-Ang University’s Film and Theatre department and started modelling part time to make some side money.
- Kim Soo-hyun appeared for the first time in a sitcom titled ‘Kimchi Cheese Smile’ in 2007 in a minor role and in the next year, his lead role in the drama ‘Jungle Fish’ earned him a wider popularity. It turned out that his small role in ‘Kimchi Cheese Smile’ had resonated well with the producers and the audiences alike. The show eventually became a mega hit, earning awards such as Peabody Award, Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union Prize and Seoul Drama festival award. If anything, this was a dream start for a relatively young star.
- In the same year, he did a short film called ‘Cherry Blossom’ and also appeared in a variety show ‘Delicious Quiz’. But somehow, what working in his favour, was the fact that unlike other young Korean young actors, he wasn’t keen on creating an image as a lover boy, he chose his acting roles sensibly and appeared in an award winning short film ‘Worst Friend’ and what further enhanced his ability as a fantastic actor was his role for the TV drama ‘Father’s House’.
- In 2011, came the biggest role of his career which made him a household name in Korea. He played the character of a local nobody who later turned out to be a fantastic musician in ‘Dream High’. The drama, other than becoming a popular show domestically, brought the cast and crew international fame as well. Kim had prepared intensely for the role and also sung two songs for the musical drama series.
- His stint as a young King in the acclaimed period drama ‘Moon Embracing the Sun’ in 2012 took Kim to the newer levels of fame. He won the best TV actor award at the Baeksang Art Awards for the role. Kim also sung for a few songs for the series and after this success, he started getting more and more offers, in form of more films and endorsement deals. In the year 2012 alone, he signed 15 endorsement deals and started signing films.
- Also in 2012, his debut feature film came into the theatres with the name ‘The Thieves’ and the heist thriller film eventually became the second highest grossing Korean film of all times. The success continued with his next film ‘Secretly, Greatly’ and it became one of the highest grossing films of the year in Korea. Kim’s performance went on to earn him Baeksang Arts Award and a Grandbell award.
- With his career reaching new heights with every project, ‘My Love from the Star’ came in 2013. It was a fantasy romance series and became so successful that it started new trends in South Korea related to fashion and make-ups. The 7th Korean Drama Awards honoured Kim with the Grand Prize. This series of him became extremely popular internationally as well.
- In 2014, Kim attended the opening ceremony of Summer Youth Olympic Games held in China and also made an appearance for the opening of the 2014 Asian Games held in Incheon, South Korea.
- In 2015, Kim reached another career milestone as he received another Grand Prize at the Korea Drama Awards, this time for the series ‘The Producers’. The series did well nationally as well as domestically and Kim became a youth sensation in the neighbouring countries as well.
- In June 2017, Kim featured as the leading man in the dark thriller film ‘Real’. Although the film has received mostly negative words from the critics, it’s still doing pretty good in terms of box office numbers and Kim’s performance, as always, is getting praised.
- Kim Soo-hyun loves travelling in his free time and loves to spend time with his mother and family. He also loves cooking and says that he has learned the art from his mother, who, according to him is the greatest cook.
- Although, not one of his relationships have been made public till now, but Kim’s name has been linked to actress Ahn Sohee. The rumours were afloat that the beautiful couple can get married, as they are in a long term serious relationship.
- In his free time, Kim also likes to spend hours at a stretch at the bowling alleys. He plays well enough to be ranked 10th in a tryout round.
- He serves as the brand ambassador of Korea Tourism Organization, Goodwill Ambassador for Seoul and also the honorary ambassador for the Incheon International Airport.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed