Sun Sign: Capricorn
Also Known As: John Roger Stephens
Born in: Springfield, Ohio, U.S.
Famous as: Singer
Height: 1.75 m
Spouse/Ex-: Chrissy Teigen
father: Ronald Stephens
mother: Phyllis Stephens
siblings: Vaughn Anthony Stephens
U.S. State: Ohio
education: University of Pennsylvania
John Roger Stephens, known professionally as John Legend, is an American singer, songwriter, and musician best known for his albums, such as ‘Once Again’, and ‘Darkness and Light’. Born in Springfield, Ohio, in the United States, Legend showed a keen interest in music from an early age. He started performing in his church choir at the age of four. From the age of seven, he started playing the piano. During his time at college, he served as the president and music director of a musical group named Counterparts. Having released a total of five studio albums till date, Legend has also collaborated with lots of other stars such as Kanye West, Britney Spears, as well as Lauren Hill. In 2015, he won the Oscar for the song ‘Glory’, which he had written for the historical movie ‘Selma.’ He has also won several other significant awards, which include ten Grammy awards, as well as one Golden Globe Award. He is also an actor and has made an appearance in the movie ‘La La Land’, which became a huge hit, winning six Oscars. He is known for his philanthropic activities, such as raising awareness to help the victims of the Hurricane Katrina.
- John Roger Stephens was born on 28 December 1978, in Springfield, Ohio, in the United States, to Ronald Lamar Stephens and Phyllis Elaine. Interested in music from an early age, he started singing in the church choir when he was four. He also learnt playing the piano from his grandmother.He was homeschooled for some years, after which he attended the North High School. Later, despite being offered admission in Harvard University, and scholarships from Georgetown University as well as Morehouse College, he went to the University of Pennsylvania.There, he served as president and musical director of a pop a cappella group named Counterparts. Because of his amazing talents, he also became a member of prestigious societies, such as Sphinx Senior Society and Onyx Senior Honor Society.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- During the early days of his career, John Roger Stephens used to perform in nightclubs, as well as hold shows throughout the country. He also collaborated with star musicians such as Alicia Keys and Kanye West.His debut album ‘Get Lifted’ was released in 2004. With hit singles, such as ‘Ordinary People’, ‘Number One’, and ‘So High’, the album performed brilliantly, peaking at number seven on the Billboard 200. It received mostly positive reviews. It won the 2006 ‘Grammy Award’ for the Best R&B Album.Slowly, Stephens started gaining popularity and through the ensuing years, he was featured in several significant albums of popular stars, such as Fort Minor, Jay-Z, and Stephen Colbert. It was during this time that he started being known as John Legend, instead of his legal name.In 2006, his second studio album ‘Once Again’ was released. Debuting at number 3 on the US Billboard 200, the album became a big hit. Its hit song ‘Heaven’ won Legend his second Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performances.His next album ‘Evolver,’ released in 2008, was even a bigger success. Debuting at fourth position on the US Billboard 200, the album has sold more than 600,000 copies in the US alone. Two years later, he collaborated with the hip hop band The Roots, and released the album ‘Wake up!’ The album won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best R&B album.In 2013, he released his fourth album, ‘Love in the Future’. Peaking at fourth position on the US Billboard 200, the album was a huge success, selling 68,000 copies within just the first week of its release. In 2015, he won an Oscar for the song ‘Glory’, which he had performed for the film ‘Selma’, along with rapper Lonnie Rashid Lynn, also known as Common.His fifth album ‘Darkness and Light’ was released in 2016. The same year, he also played a significant role in the Oscar winning film ‘La La Land’.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- ‘Wake Up’, a studio album by John Legend, on which he had collaborated with the hip hop band ‘The Roots’ is among his most significant and successful works. Debuting at eighth position on the US Billboard 200, the album sold 63,000 copies within its first week and went on to win the 2010 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album. It received mostly positive reviews from critics.‘Love in the Future’ which was released in 2013, is also among John Legend’s important works. The album, which included singles such as ‘Open Your Eyes’, ‘All Of Me’, and ‘Dreams’ debuted at fourth position at the US Billboard 200. It became a hit in several countries and topped the charts in UK, Netherlands, South Africa and New Zealand. It received mostly positive reviews.‘The Oscar wining song ‘Glory’, which was released in late 2014, can be regarded as Legend’s most significant critically acclaimed work. It was performed by Legend in collaboration with rapper Lonnie Rashid Lynn, or Common. It served as the theme song of the 2014 historical drama film ‘Selma’. The song debuted at number 49 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It also became popular in countries such as Spain, Belgium and Australia. The song, which won several awards, also earned Legend the Oscar at the 87th Academy Awards.‘Darkness & Light’ is the fifth and the latest studio album of John Legend. With singles such as ‘Love Me Now’, and ‘I Know Better’, the album debuted at number 14 on the US Billboard 200. It sold 26,000 copies within the first week.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- John Legend, over the course of his career, has been nominated for a total of forty-five awards out of which he has won thirty-one. In 2015, he won the Oscar for the ‘Best Original Song’ for his hit song ‘Glory,’ which was released the previous year. He has won a total of ten Grammy Awards, two NAACP Image Awards, five Soul Train Awards, and One Golden Globe Award.Personal LifeJohn Legend dated Chrissy Teigen for four years before getting engaged in 2011. They married in 2013. They had their first child in 2016, a daughter whom they named Luna Simone.He is also involved in several social causes and charitable activities. He supports various organizations and causes, such as the New York based organization Harlem Village Academies which runs several charter schools.Net Worth
- He has an estimated net worth of $40 million.
2015 Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song Selma (2014)Golden Globe Awards 2015 Best Original Song - Motion Picture Selma (2014)Grammy Awards 2016 Best Song Written for Visual Media Selma (2014) 2011 Best R&B Album Winner 2011 Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance Winner 2011 Best R&B Song Winner 2009 Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals Winner 2007 Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group Winner 2007 Best Male R&B Vocal Performance Winner 2006 Best New Artist Winner 2006 Best R&B Album Winner 2006 Best Male R&B Vocal Performance WinnerMTV Video Music Awards 2017 Best Fight Against the System John Legend: Surefire (2017)
How To CiteArticle Title- John Legend BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/john-legend-12381.phpLast Updated- June 27, 2017
People Also Viewed