Jessica Ellen Cornish, popularly known as Jessie J, is a well-known English singer and songwriter. Known for her unconventional music styles which mix soul vocals with pop, electropop, and hip-hop, Jessie has garnered much fame at a young age. She has also earned several awards and nominations, such as the '2011 Critics' Choice Brit Award' and the 'BBC's Sound of 2011.’ Her career began at the early age of 11, when she was cast in 'Whistle Down the Wind', a musical by the English composer Andrew Lloyd Webber. Later, she joined the National Youth Music Theater and appeared in ‘The Late Sleepers', a production of theirs which premiered in 2002. She came to mainstream fame in 2011, with her debut studio album 'Who You Are', which released on February 28. The album was a huge success, selling 105,000 copies in the UK, and 34,000 in the US, within the first week itself. It also debuted at number two on the UK Albums Chart, and at number 11 on the US Billboard 200. Jessie is also known for her charity works, and has been involved with charities like 'Children in Need', and 'Comic Relief'.
- Jessie J was born on 27 March 1988 in London, England, to Rose and Stephen Cornish. She attended Mayfield High School, which was located at the London Borough of Redbridge. She also used to attend the 'Colin's Performing Arts School' to develop her skills in music.At the age of 16, she started studying at BRIT School, located at the London Borough of Croydon. She graduated in 2006.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Jessie J first signed to Gut Records to record an album for the label. However, the company went bankrupt before they could release it. Later, she gained a contract with Sony ATV, as a songwriter. She also wrote lyrics for well-known artists like Chris Brown, Miley Cyrus, and Lisa Lois.She also became a part of a group named 'Soul Deep'. However, seeing that the group wasn't going anywhere, she decided to leave it after two years. Later, she signed with Universal Records and worked with several important names like Dr. Luke, rapper B.o.B., Labrinth, etc.Released in 2010, her first single 'Do it Like a Dude', was a mild success, reaching number 26 on the UK Charts. In 2011, she became the winner of the 'Critics Choice Award'. The same year, she also appeared in an episode of 'Saturday Night Live', the popular American late-night live TV sketch comedy.Her debut Album 'Who You Are’ was released on 28 February 2011. With singles such as 'The Invisible Man', 'Price Tag', and 'Nobody's Perfect', the album debuted at number two on the UK Albums Chart and sold 105,000 within the first week of its release. As of April 2012, sales had reached 2,500,000 worldwide.In January 2012, she announced that she was working on her next studio album, on which she hoped to collaborate with several more artists. The same year, she also started appearing in the British television talent show 'The Voice UK'. She stayed in the show for two seasons.She released her second album 'Alive' in September 2013. With hit singles such as 'Wild', 'It’s My Party', and 'Thunder', the album peaked at the Number 3 on the UK Albums Chart. It also includes guest appearances by well-known artists such as rapper Becky G, singer Brandy Norwood, and rapper Big Sean.On 13 October 2014, she released her third studio album 'Sweet Talker'. With singles such as 'Ain't Been Done', 'Sweet Talker', and 'Bang Bang', the album, like her previous two, turned out to be quite successful. The album gained popularity mostly for its single 'Bang Bang', which became a hit not only in the UK, but also in several countries such as Australia, Canada, Denmark, New Zealand, and the United States.Continue Reading BelowThe next year, she appeared in the Australian reality talent show 'The Voice Australia' for two seasons. In 2016, she made an appearance in the TV special 'Grease: Live', which was aired on Fox on January 31. The same year, she also did a voice role in the animated adventure film 'Ice Age: Collision Course'.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- Who You Are' released in February 2011, was the first studio album of Jessie J. It became an instant hit, with a sale of 105,000 copies within the first week of release. It debuted at number two on the UK Albums Chart. It's contained several hit singles such as 'The Invisible Men', which had peaked at fifth position in the UK Singles Chart, and 'Price Tag', which released on 30 January 2011, and was an international hit. The album received mostly mixed reviews.'Alive' which released on 23 September 2013, was the second studio album of Jessie J. The album, which peaked at number three on the UK Albums Chart, included guest appearances by various stars such as rap artists Becky G and Big Sean. It contained hit singles such as 'Wild, which had peaked at number five on the UK Singles Chart, and 'It's My Party', and 'Thunder.' The album was a commercial success as well, and sold 39, 270 copies within the first week of its release.Her third album 'Sweet Talker' was released on 13 October 2014. It included guest appearances by stars such as singer Ariana Grande and rap artist Nicki Minaj. Its lead single 'Bang Bang' received much appreciation from both critics and audience, and became a worldwide hit. It topped the charts in several countries including Australia, New Zealand and the US. The album debuted at number ten on the US Billboard 200, and sold 25,000 copies in its first week.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- In 2003, at the age of 15, Jessie J won 'Best Pop Singer' in the TV show 'Britain's Brilliant Prodigies'.She has won various awards for her talents such as the '2011 Critics' Choice Brit Award' and the 'BBC's Sound of 2011'.Personal Life & Legacy
- Jessie J identifies as a bisexual and has stated that she has dated both guys and girls. In 2014, she was said to be dating Luke James, an American singer and songwriter.She is also known for her philanthropic activities. She shaved her head in 2013 during the Red Nose Day, in order to help raise money for Comic Relief, a British charity.
Pictures of Jessie JPrevious NextImage Credithttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4893910/Jessie-J-battling-secret-health-issues.htmlImage Credithttp://go4celebrity.com/jessie-j.htmlImage Credithttp://www.idolator.com/7563419/jessie-j-to-play-intimate-showcases-in-new-york-city-and-los-angeles-this-octoberImage Credithttps://www.pinterest.com/anastasiaboutsi/jessie-j/Image Credithttps://www.hellomagazine.com/healthandbeauty/health-and-fitness/2017091842478/jessie-j-talks-secret-health-issues/Image Credithttp://littlemix.wikia.com/wiki/Jessie_JImage Credithttps://www.cleo.com.sg/entertain-me/celebrity-and-trending/jessie-j-chinese-competition-singer-2018/
How To CiteArticle Title- Jessie J BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/jessie-j-32283.phpLast Updated- April 10, 2017
People Also Viewed