Georgina Chapman Biography
Sun Sign: Aries
Also Known As: Georgina Rose Chapman
Born Country: England
Born in: Hammersmith, London, England
Famous as: Fashion Designer
Spouse/Ex-: Harvey Weinstein (m. 2007–2017)
father: Brian Chapman
mother: Caroline Wonfor
siblings: Edward Chapman
children: Dashiell Weinstein, India Pearl Weinstein
City: London, England
education: University of the Arts London
Georgina Chapman is a British fashion designer and actor, best known as the co-founder of the fashion label 'Marchesa.' She is also the ex-wife of former Hollywood honcho and rape convict Harvey Weinstein. Before the allegations against Weinstein began to surface, Chapman enjoyed a highly successful career as a fashion designer, with various actors, supermodels, and singers endorsing her work. She was also featured as a judge on the fashion-oriented show 'Project Runway' and its spin-offs, 'Project Catwalk,' 'Project Runway: All Stars,' and 'Under the Gunn.' She has also tried her hand at acting and has been seen in a lot of movies and short films, though in minor roles. After being devastated for a long time due to Weinstein’s sexual harassment case, she is gradually returning to her normal life.
- Georgina Rose Chapman was born on April 14, 1976, in Hammersmith, London, England, to Caroline Wonfor and Brian Chapman.
- She grew up with a brother, Edward Chapman. Her mother is a journalist, and her father is a businessman who owns the 'Food Brands Group' and the 'Percol' coffee brand.
- She has a congenital condition called femoral anteversion. When she was 8 years old, she was diagnosed with dyslexia.
- She was raised in Richmond, London. Later, she attended the 'Marlborough College' in Marlborough, Wiltshire, England.
- She attended the 'Chelsea College of Arts and Design,' now called the 'Chelsea College of Arts,' Millbank, London. It is a constituent college of the 'University of the Arts London,' London. There, she met Keren Craig, her future business partner.
- She graduated from the 'Wimbledon School of Art,' presently known as the 'Wimbledon College of Art,' in 2001. This institute is affiliated with the 'University of the Arts London' and has two campuses, one at Wimbledon and the other at Merton Park, South West London.
- In her early 20s, she modeled for brands such as 'Head & Shoulders' and 'Soothers.’
- Following her graduation, Chapman started working as a costume designer in 2001.
- In 2004, she partnered with Craig to launch 'Marchesa,' primarily a handbag and wedding-dress brand. The name of the brand was inspired by Italian socialite Luisa, Marchesa Casati Stampa di Soncino.
- In 2006, her label was one of the 10 finalists of the 'Council of Fashion Designers of America, Inc. (CFDA)/Vogue Fashion Fund.’
- In 2010, 'Le Métier de Beauté' partnered with 'Marchesa' for a cosmetics line and featured Chapman on the pallets. 'Marchesa' ventured into another collaboration with 'Lenox,' to create dinnerware designs. The same year, Sandra Bullock wore a 'Marchesa' gown while accepting the 'Academy Award' for the “Best Actress.” Vera Farmiga also was decked up in a 'Marchesa' gown for the event.
- ‘Project Runway Spotlight: Marchesa' was produced in 2012.
- At the 2013 'MTV Video Music Awards,' Sarah Hyland flaunted her 'Marchesa' gown.
- Celebrities such as Poppy Delevingne, Karolina Kurkova, and Nina Dobrev sported their ‘Marchesa’ gowns at the 2016 'Met Gala.'
- Some of the other celebrities who have donned the 'Marchesa' brand are Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Lopez, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, and Penelope Cruz.
- As the Weinstein sexual harassment scandal broke out in October 2017, it tainted the image of 'Marchesa.' Rumors claimed that his influence in Hollywood helped the designer brand grow.
- Scarlett Johansson later severed ties with the brand but wore their custom-made gown after a long break in May 2018, for the ‘Met Gala.’ Chapman and Craig have drastically reduced their public appearances.
- On June 25, 2019, Craig said that she would be leaving 'Marchesa.'
- Chapman made her first on-screen appearance as 'Eve' in 'Desire' in 2001.
- In 2002, Chapman was featured in a minor role in 'Chasing Heaven' and in the role of a secretary in 'Jeffrey Archer: The Truth.'
- The following year, she was cast as 'Louie' in 'Sons & Lovers' and also appeared as a debutante in the action–comedy 'Shanghai Knights.'
- The year 2004 saw her appear in four projects: as 'Katherine Cranborn' in 'A Soldier's Tunic,' as 'Anne' in 'Bride & Prejudice,' as ‘Celia Llewellyn' in an episode of the TV series 'Rosemary & Thyme' (titled 'The Italian Rapscallion'), and as 'Connie 1' in 'Piccadilly Jim.'
- She worked in five projects in 2005: as 'Floozy 1' in 'Unleashed,' as a minor character in 'Match Point,' as 'Jenna' in 'Zemanovaload,' as 'Carly' in 'The Business,' and as 'Candy' in 'Derailed.'
- In 2006, she was on the guest panel of judges of one of the episodes of 'Project Catwalk,' a reality TV show based on fashion. The program was similar to the US show 'Project Runway.'
- She has been featured in four productions in 2007: in an uncredited role in 'Grindhouse,' in a minor role in the short movie 'Don't,' as a ‘TriBeCa’ fashionista in 'The Nanny Diaries,' and as 'Penny Carver' in 'Awake.'
- She appeared as herself in the episodes 'Dan de Fleurette' and 'She's Flying Solo,' of 'Gossip Girl' (2009) and 'High Society' (2010), respectively.
- In 2010, she became a guest judge in two episodes of 'Project Runway,' titled Design Your Heart Out' and 'There IS an 'I' in Team.'
- In 2011, she was featured in 'The September Issue – Week 3' of the TV show 'Fashion Police.'
- She was the guest judge in an episode of 'America's Next Top Model’ in 2012. The same year, she became part of the TV documentary 'Project Runway Spotlight: Marchesa' and began her long-term association with the TV show 'Project Runway: All Stars,' a spin-off of 'Project Runway,' as a permanent judge for all the seasons.
- In the 2013 documentary 'Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's,' she was cast as herself.
- The following year, she appeared in 'E! News.' The same year, she also appeared as a guest judge in two episodes of 'Under the Gunn' (another spin-off of 'Project Runway'), titled 'It's an Unconventional Beach Party' and 'Steampunk Chic.'
- On March 13, 2015, she was featured on 'Entertainment Tonight.'
- She was featured in the short video 'Saks Fifth Avenue: Holiday Windows Unveiling' in 2016. That year, she again appeared as a guest judge in an episode of 'Project Runway,' titled 'An Unconventional Trip.'
- She appeared on the TV show 'So Cosmo' in 2017. The same year, she was once again featured as a guest judge in an episode of 'Project Runway,' titled 'Models Off Duty.'
- In 2018 and 2019, she continued to appear in 'Project Runway: All Stars.'
- Chapman and Harvey Weinstein began dating in 2003, though he was married back then. He divorced his first wife in 2004 and married Chapman on December 15, 2007.
- Their first child, a daughter named 'India Pearl,' was born in 2010. Their second child, Dashiell, was born in 2013.
- On October 10, 2017, she announced that she was separating from him, in the wake of the sexual harassment accusations against Weinstein. They divorced a year later.
- Reportedly, she is currently dating actor Adrien Brody.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed