Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: Dustin
Born in: Gainesville
Famous as: Entrepreneur
Spouse/Ex-: Cari Tuna
City, States, Provinces & Districts: Florida
Founder/Co-Founder: Asana, Facebook, Inc.
Net worth: 12 billion USD 2017
education: Harvard University
Dustin Moskovitz is an American entrepreneur who co-founded the famous social networking site – Facebook. He left Facebook in 2008 and co-founded Asana, an application that works on the Web and on mobile operating systems like the iOS and the Android and helps teams track their work. He played an important role in the founding of Facebook along with Mark Zuckerberg. He came into contact with Mark as he lived with him along with roommates, Eduardo Saverin, and Chris Hughes. Dustin was the lead programmer in the main team that founded the Facebook. In March 2011, Forbes declared him as the youngest self-made billionaire in history. He supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential elections. He lives with his wife, Cali Tuna, who is a former Wall Street journalist.
- Dustin Moskovitz was born in a Jewish family in Gainesville, Florida on 22nd May, 1984. His father was a psychiatrist and practiced it in Florida. His mother was a teacher and artist.He graduated from the Vanguard High School as he grew up in Florida. He pursued IB Diploma Program followed by economics at the Harvard University. However, 2 years after attending the University, he took a year off and shifted to Palo Alta in California, where, he started working full time on the Facebook project.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- Dustin’s career started in February 2004, when he, along with roommates, Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Chris Hughes and friend, Andrew McCollum, started making plans about the launch of Facebook.Facebook was originally designed to serve as an online database directory for students studying at Harvard as an aid tool to find fellow members. It was named as thefacebook.com.However, in June 2004, the team took a year off and moved to California to work on the expansion of Facebook worldwide. They hired 8 new employees along with investor, Sean Parker.Dustin was the lead programmer and the head of the technical department in Facebook.According to Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, Dustin learnt programming in a few days and joined the team as the programmer. Dustin was the first CTO and VP of Engineering of Facebook.He played an important role in the growth of Facebook as he watched over the architecture and working of Facebook. Dustin had a 7.6 % shareholding in Facebook.On 3rd October 2008, he announced that he would be leaving Facebook to co-found Asana, a web application. He successfully co-founded Asana, along with partner, Justin Rosenstein.Continue Reading BelowIn 2011, Asana was successfully launched out of Beta. It is a web based mobile application that helps team collaboration on team projects without the use of e mails.Dustin is also known for investing in ‘Path’, a mobile photo sharing website, which was created by a former Facebook engineer, David Morin. It is said that Dustin’s advice proved vital in influencing Morin to decline a buyout offer by Google.He also invested in the Artificial Intelligence Company, Vicarious.He, along with his wife, Cari Tuna, started the philanthropic organization, Good Ventures. Good Ventures has donated about $100 million for programs that supported Malaria eradication, Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, Deworm the world initiative and GiveDirectly.He and Cari were the youngest couple to sign the ‘Giving Pledge’ by Warren Buffet and Bill Gates that commits billionaires to donate major part of their wealth to charity.Dustin is working on a joint collaboration with GiveWell which has led to a new spinoff. This is called the Open Philanthropy Project, with an aim of innovating a way to use large sums of money, starting with the wealth of Dustin himself, for the betterment of society.Awards & Achievements
- Dustin was reported as the youngest self-made billionaire in history by Forbes in 2011. This was mainly based on his then share in Facebook.Continue Reading BelowPersonal Life
- Dustin is married to girlfriend, Cari Tuna, a former Yale Daily News writer and Wall Street journalist.Being a billionaire, he still believes that money should only be used for good cause and supports charity widely.He had provided $10,000 to all of his engineers after successfully launching Asana, so as to improve the gadgets, equipment and other working conditions of the employees.Dustin does not believe in showing off his money and wealth. He leads a normal life. He majorly uses his money for charity and philanthropic causes.Dustin is an active supporter of the Democratic Party.He is in open opposition to Donald Trump, the current President of the United States of America and donated around $20,000, supporting Hillary Clinton, the Democratic Party candidate in 2016 Presidential campaign.He states that Trump’s presidency is significantly dangerous to the country.Continue Reading BelowThey both regularly attend the Burning Man, an annual gathering that is mainly influenced by principles like self-reliance, radical inclusion, self-expression and others.While leaving Facebook, he had stated that it was a precondition that he was starting something which won’t be about chasing money.According to him, “There are a lot of people building small ideas now. There's an idealization of being an entrepreneur, but the most important thing is to have a really great idea.”Dustin states that the movie ‘The Social Network’, which describes the development and birth of Facebook, overemphasizes on certain unnecessary aspects and neglects some people that were vital in the making of Facebook.Dustin is still good friends with Mark Zuckerberg, the co-founder of Facebook. Mark considers Dustin as one of his most important and trusted confidants.Trivia
- The role of Dustin Moskovitz was played by actor Joseph Mazello in the 2008 movie The Social Network.His collaborative project, the Open Philanthropy Project, has already made over $40,000 million in grants.He openly criticizes Donald Trump through his tweets.Dustin had a net worth of around $12 billion by the year 2011.Dustin has invested in a number of companies including Quora, Asana, Vicarious, NationBuilder, Organizer, Path, Flipboard and several others.
How To CiteArticle Title- Dustin Moskovitz BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/dustin-moskovitz-15167.phpLast Updated- May 15, 2017
People Also Viewed