Dominic Sandoval or ‘D-Trix’ is a famous American dancer and YouTube celebrity. He appeared on the third season of the dance talent hunt show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ and went on to become a finalist. However, Dominic didn’t win the show and ended up as the fifth runner-up to the winner of the season, Sabra Johnson. He is also known for having a massive crush on the show host, Cat Deeley. After gaining success on the show, he starred in a few popular music videos as a background dancer but didn’t land many opportunities in the entertainment industry. Yet with determination to transcend all odds Dominic later went on to win the dance reality show ‘America’s Best Dance Crew’ and became a judge on ABDC. He even launched his own online dance competition called ‘Dance Showdown’. Dominic’s preferred dance genre is break-dancing but he is keen on learning new dance forms and is a vital member of the ‘Quest Crew’. He has a ‘YouTube’ channel titled ‘TheDominicShow’ with a subscription of 3.5 million fans. He has more than 200 videos on his channel which have generated almost half a billion views.
- Dominic Sandoval was born on 15th October 1985 to Filipino American parents in Roseville, California. His parents separated a few months after his birth and he was adopted by Conrad Pete Sandoval, his step-father.By the age of thirteen, he had taken a fancy to dancing. He began breakdancing and quickly picked up an effortless hip-hop style. He first participated in a dance competition when he was in grade five.In his teen years he performed at the NBA or National Basketball Association and at the WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association). He even won the ‘Evolution 2 Competition’ at Orlando, Florida, in 2005 along with his break dancing crew ‘Flexible Flav’.He was a huge fan of the new dance show on ‘FOX’ network called ‘So You Think You Can Dance’. He decided to enroll himself in the audition rounds and began preparing for the show’s third season.He took hip-hop choreography lessons before auditioning for the show in order to enhance his breakdancing skills, but also opened his mind to various other dance styles to train himself for the show.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:A Contestant on - So You Think You Can Danceï¿½
- Before the show was aired on 24th May 2007, he auditioned at Los Angeles and was confirmed as the top 200 dancers to enter the second round of the show. He then gave another audition to make it to the top 20 participants and was called back to Hollywood as a finalist on the show.On the show he was paired several times with Sabra Johnson who claimed the title in the finale. Dominic was a popular choice and was voted by his fans until the eighth week of the show.Amongst his several performances, he is best known for his couple dance with Sabra on the song ‘No More Tears (Enough is Enough). Their performance was based on the Disco dance style.His contemporary performance on the song ‘I’ll Stand by You - The Pretenders’ harnessed critical appraise from the judges and his rumba performance on ‘Stickwitu’ amused the audience.He went on to perform several dance styles such as jive, Viennese Waltz, krump and hip-hop before getting eliminated. However, he returned in the finale to perform along with the other top 8 contestants on the song ‘Get Up- Ciara’.America s Best Dance Crewï¿½
- Sandoval was back on television with his dance group ‘Quest Crew’ on the dance reality show ‘America’s Best Dance Crew’ in its third season. The show was aired on 15th January, 2009.The group’s first performance was a ‘Sudden Death Challenge’ to the song ‘Hero’ by ‘Nas’. The group found itself saved in every elimination round by public votes and went on to put up performances on popular songs like ‘Let It Rock’, ‘Toxic’, ‘Forever’ and ‘Got Money’.However, in the seventh week they found themselves in the bottom two after the ‘Hip-hop’s most difficult styles of dancing challenge’ but they were eventually saved and claimed the title by winning the season.He returned to the show as a judge in the sixth season on April 7, 2011. He once again reunited with his dance troupe ‘Quest’ as a contestant on the eighth season of the show titled ‘Road to the VMA’s’.Continue Reading BelowFilm & YouTube Career
- In 2011, he starred in the short film ‘Agents of Secret Stuff’ as the antagonist. The film was made under the banner of ‘Wong Fu Productions’. He also played the role of Grifter alongside Chris Brown in the 2013 American 3D dance film ‘Battle of the Year’.He acted in the recurring role of a student in ‘Smosh: The Movie’ and also starred in the live action computer animated movie ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel’.Over the years, Dominic has grown as an internet celebrity and has over 3. 5 million followers on his YouTube channel. He also hosted his own dance web series called ‘Dance Showdown’.Sandoval appeared as a guest judge on the first season of the web video-making talent hunt show ‘Internet Icon’. He has often collaborated with Ryan Higa better known as ‘NigaHiga’ in his videos and goes by the name ‘D-Trix’ on his YouTube channel.He recently launched an iTune song titled ‘The Worst Babysitter Ever’ and appeared as a background dancer in the music video ‘Ready To Go (Get me Out Of My Mind) by ‘Panic’.Major Work
- After his elimination from the show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’, Sandoval went on a sixty city national tour for the third season’s promotion as one of the top 10 finalists.He later returned to the show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ in season seven as an ‘All-star’ member. The season was judged by Nigel Lythgoe and Adam Shankman.Awards & Achievements
- After amassing millions of votes, Dominic and his dance troupe ‘Quest Crew’ were declared winners on the third season of ‘America’s Best Dance Crew (ABDC) on 5th March, 2009.Personal Life
- Dominic continues to live in his hometown Roseville, California. He was linked with the American dancer and winner of the seventh season of ABDC, Lauren Froderman for a brief period until 2011. He later began dating fashion designer, Bethany Mota.He has participated along with ‘Quest Crew’ in the ‘ABDC Charity Event’ and extended support towards the ‘DoSomething.org’ foundation which aims at inspiring the youth to work towards developing a better community.He also helped promote the movie ‘Say It Loud’ which was released by fourteen-year-old Jordan Coleman from Hackensack, New Jersey. The film emphasises on the importance of education in society.Trivia
- Owing to a mix-up of paperwork, he was named Conrad Pete Dominic Sandoval after his adoption. However, at the age of sixteen he changed his name legally to Dominic Sandoval.
How To CiteArticle Title- Dominic Sandoval BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/dominic-sandoval-14627.phpLast Updated- June 23, 2017
People Also Viewed