Christina Victoria Grimmie was an American singer, songwriter, and musician. With a YouTube channel that helped her attain much popularity, she became even more well-known after she took part in the NBC singing completion ‘The Voice’. Born in Marlton, New Jersey, in the US, Grimmie was enthusiastic about singing from quite an early age. At the age of 15, she created her YouTube channel, through which she released her works to the audience. Her first video was a cover of ‘Don’t Wanna be Torn’, a popular track by Hannah Montana. Slowly, her popularity grew and within four years, she had two million viewers. Her first extended play, ‘Find Me’, was released in 2011. Debuting at number 35 on the US Billboard 200, it was a success, and brought her to even more fame. She worked on two more extended plays over the next few years, one of which was released after her untimely death. Her only studio album ‘With Love’ was released in 2013. Grimmie also appeared in a 2016 independent romantic comedy movie ‘The Matchbreaker’, where she played an important role.
- Christina Grimmie was born on March 12, 1994 to Tina and Albert Grimmie. Her father worked at Verizon Communications, while her mother worked as a receptionist till she got diagnosed with breast cancer. She also had an older brother Marcus, who later served as her road manager during her performances.Grimmie, who grew up in Marlton, New Jersey was brought up as a Christian. She attended Bethel Baptist Christian School, and later Marlton Middle and Cherokee High School.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- After creating her YouTube Channel in 2009, Christina Grimmie started posting videos. She soon gained popularity for her cover of ‘Party in the USA’, a popular song by Miley Cyrus. With a fellow YouTube star, Sam Tsui, she worked on another cover of ‘Just a Dream’, a song by the popular American rapper Nelly, which earned more than 135 million views. Slowly, she gained more and more popularity and by April 2013, she had gained over two million subscribers on her channel.She released her first extended play ‘Find Me’ in 2011. It was an average success. The same year, she also performed at several significant events such as the UNICEF charity concert. She appeared on shows like ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’, and the ‘39th American Music Awards of 2011’.The following year, she moved to Los Angeles, to pursue her singing career. Soon, she was signed to Creative Artists Agency. She starred in the webshow ‘Power Up: With Christina Grimmie’, on Disney.com, which ran for two months. She also started performing songs for her upcoming studio album.Her album ‘With Love’ was released in August 2013. With singles such as ‘Over Overthinking You’, ‘Make it Work’, ‘Feelin’ Good’, and ‘My Anthem’, it debuted at number 101 on the US Billboard 200.In 2014, she auditioned for the season 6 of ‘The Voice’, NBC’s popular signing competition, as revealed on her Facebook page. She performed ‘Wrecking Ball’, a hit song by Miley Cyrus, during the blind auditions. Her performance in the competition was appreciated, and she successfully finished in 3rd place.Her second extended play ‘Side A’ was released in February 2016. It consisted of four songs, which were ‘Snow White’, ‘Anybody’s You, ‘Deception’ and ‘Without Him’. It peaked at number 11 on the US Independent Albums and at number 171 on the US Billboard 200.The young singer was murdered in June 2016. Her third extended play ‘Side B’ was released posthumously in 2017. Like her previous EP, it also contained four songs: ‘I Only Miss You When I Breathe’, ‘Invisible’, ‘The Game’, and ‘I Won’t Give up’.Continue Reading BelowMajor Works
- ‘Find Me’, the first Extended Play by Christina Grimmie, can be regarded as the most significant work in her career. The EP, which was released independently, debuted at number 35 on the US Billboard 200. It also debuted on the top ten of the Independent Albums chart in the US. Including tracks such as ‘Ugly’, ‘Advice’, ‘King of Thieves’, and ‘Liar Liar’, the album also peaked at number 11 at the US Digital Albums.Christina Grimmie also appeared in an important role in ‘The Matchbreaker’, a 2016 independent romantic comedy. The film, which was produced and directed by Caleb Vetter, also starred actors Wesley Elder, Osric Chau, Victoria Jackson, and Tessa Violet. The film is about a man who breaks up relationships of girls at the behest of their disapproving parents. However, at the same time, he is also trying to woo a girl he used to have a crush on in grade school.Awards & Achievements
- Christina Grimmie won several awards in her career, including the American Music Award for New Media Honoree (Female) in 2011, iHeartRadio Music Festival’s Macy's iHeartRadio Rising Star in 2015, and Teen Choice Award for Choice Web Star: Music in 2016. She posthumously received the Humane Society’s Impact Award in 2017.Personal Life
- Christina Grimmie was reportedly single at the time of her death. Due to her intense focus on her career, she apparently was not romantically involved with anyone.Murder & Aftermath
- On 10 June 2016, Christina Grimmie was signing autographs following a performance in Orlando when she was shot dead by Kevin James Loibl. Before he could be apprehended, Loibl shot himself dead as well.Though the police could not find out why the crime was committed, it was assumed that it was due to Loibi’s extreme obsession with Grimmie.In the aftermath of her gruesome death, there were demands for increased security at performing arts venues. ‘An Open Letter to Congress: Stop Gun Violence Now’ was published by Billboard, which demanded background checks for every gun purchase, along with an outright ban on sales to people who were suspected to be terrorists or extremists.Six months after her murder, a wrongful-death lawsuit was filed by her family against the concert promoter, the foundation that owned the venue, and the security company which was working at the event. It was, however, requested by the venues that the judge dismiss the lawsuit as Florida law does not allow business owners to be held liable for attacks on their property.
How To CiteArticle Title- Christina Grimmie BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/christina-grimmie-32824.phpLast Updated- June 29, 2017
People Also Viewed