Chrissy Costanza Biography
Christina Nicola Costanza is an American singer-songwriter and musician currently affiliated with the pop-rock group 'Against the Current'. She is better known by her stage name, Chrissy Costanza. A native of New Jersey, she hails from a family of music lovers. In 2011, she joined Against the Current after meeting bandmates Daniel Gow and Will Ferri through a mutual friend. They released their debut single ‘Thinking’ in 2012. Two years later, the group put out their first extended play, ‘Infinity’. In the ensuing years, they have released three more EPs: ‘Infinity (The Acoustic Sessions)’ in November 2014, ‘Gravity’ in February 2015, and ‘Gravity (The Acoustic Sessions, Vol. II)’ in July 2015. Their debut album, ‘In Our Bones’ was released in 2016. The band is considered to be one of the most innovative ones working in the industry today. Due to their novelty, Critics find it hard to designate Against the Current to any particular genre. Since their inception, they have embarked on multiple music tours, including the 2018 Fall Out Boy - MANIA tour.
- In early 2011, Dan Gow, Will Ferri, Joe Simmons, and Jeremy Rompala came together to set up the pop-rock group Against the Current. Costanza became a part of the group in the summer of 2011 after she became acquainted with Gow, Ferri, and Rompala through a mutual friend.
- The group started off by creating a YouTube channel in August 2011. They began uploading content on the channel in July 2012 and gradually accumulated a loyal group of followers. In time, the channel grew and they began to get mainstream attention. As of 2018, the channel has nearly two million subscribers and about 300 million views.
- During their early period, they were known for their collaborations with fellow YouTube cover artists such as Alex Goot and Sam Tsui. In 2012, Against the Current put out their debut non-album single, ‘Thinking’. A year later, they released ‘Closer, Faster’, a single from their upcoming EP ‘Infinity’. Their second non-album single, titled ‘Guessing,’ was released that year as well.
- On May 27, 2014, they independently released their first EP ‘Infinity’, which was distributed online. It was ranked at the 28th spot on the US Heatseekers Albums chart. They spent the rest of the year touring to promote the album. They released their second EP, an acoustic version of ‘Infinity’, on 27 November the same year.
- Eventually, they returned to the studio to record their third EP, which they named ‘Gravity’ (2015). As with ‘Infinity’, ‘Gravity’ was also distributed online. It reached the fourth spot on the US Heatseekers Albums chart. The group put out their fourth and the last EP to date on 10 July that year. It was an acoustic version of ‘Gravity’.
- On March 4, 2015, Against the Current signed a record deal with Fueled By Ramen record label. From August to November 2015, the group toured for four months to promote ‘Gravity’. Spanning across three continents, the tour allowed the group to interact and entertain their fans in other parts of North America, Europe, and Asia.
- On August 1, 2015, the group revealed that they had completed their first ever studio album. Titled ‘In Our Bones’, the album was released on May 20, 2016. It reached the second spot on the US Heatseekers Albums chart, the 15th spot on the Top Alternative Albums Chart, the 20th spot on the Top Rock Albums chart. ‘In Our Bones’ is comprised of 12 tracks, including the four singles ‘Running with the Wild Things’, ‘Runaway’, ‘Wasteland’, and ‘Young & Relentless’. Costanza contributed as a lyricist to all of the songs in the album. Against the Current embarked on the ‘In Our Bones’ tour on September 6, 2016. They started their concerts in Seoul, South Korea and subsequently performed throughout Asia, Europe, and North and South America. On October 18, 2017, they ended the tour in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- They have also performed in the ‘Sink or Swim Tour 2014,’ ‘Glamour Kills Spring Break '15 Tour,’ ‘Download Festival’ in 2016, and ‘Reading and Leeds Festivals’ in 2017. The group is currently comprised of Costanza (vocals), Gow (lead guitar and backup vocals), and Ferri (drums and backup vocals).
- Costanza was born on August 23, 1995, in New Jersey, the USA. Her mother’s name is Elizabeth Costanza. She has a brother named Mikey. While her parents do not sing or play any instrument, they do have an inherent love for music. As a result, she grew up in a household that encouraged her pursuit of a career in music. She attended Fordham University in New York City.
- She sites Katy Perry and John Mayer as her inspirations. She has been in a relationship with Cameron Hurley, the guitarist of We Are the In Crowd, since 2015.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed