Bae Suzy Biography
Bae Suzy is a South Korean actor and singer, who, prior to making a career in acting, was a part of famous Korean girl music group ‘miss A’. Born and brought up in Gwangju, South Korea, she always knew what she wanted from her life and was a well sorted kid, a rare feat for millennial kids. Upon growing up, she attended the School of Performing Arts in Seoul and started her career as a shopping mall model at the age of 15. She entered the talent hunt show ‘Mnet Superstar K’ and was loved by the judges initially, but couldn’t do very well against the more talented performers and got eliminated. But this didn’t dishearten her and she went on to form a girl group ‘miss A’ with JYP Entertainment. After her musical success, she took up acting with films like ‘Architecture 101’ and ‘Sound of a Flower’ and television series’ such as ‘Uncontrollably Fond’ and ‘My Love from the Star’. In 2017, Bae came out with her debut solo album titled ‘Yes? No?’ and is keenly awaiting the release of her new TV show ‘While You Were Sleeping’.
- Bae Suzy was born in Buk district of Gwangju, South Korea on 10th October 1994 to Bae Wan-young and Jeong Hyun-sook. She grew up among her parents and two siblings, an elder sister and a younger brother.
- She fell in love with music quite early on in her life and listened to everything, from classical Korean music to western tunes. She wanted to make a name in the entertainment business.
- Her parents supported their daughter’s dreams and when she told them that she didn’t want a regular career and wanted to get enrolled in the School of Performing Arts Seoul, they fully supported her. Bae worked hard to hone her skills as an actor and a stage performer.
- Her gorgeous looks helped her bagging modelling assignments early and at the age of 15, she was already modelling for different brands, and when she graduated, it was time to start with her biggest passion, music.
- Although talented, she was clueless about the right way to start in the industry and she found herself auditioning for a major Korean talent hunt show titled ‘Mnet Superstar K’ in 2009 and she was selected to compete among the contestants from all over the country. But she couldn’t make it far in the show and got eliminated in the early rounds.
- Her little stint on the show was enough to get her into the eyes of a major talent agency JYP Entertainment, where she started working as a trainee. When the training period was over, she was introduced to Fei and Jia and three of them started their own girl group named ‘miss A’. Sometime later, Min joined the group and by March 2010, the group was ready to have a kick-start.
- The group ‘miss A’ started their musical journey in China, and they were signed up by Samsung Electronics as the group recorded and performed the promotional song for the company titled ‘Love Again’.
- The group made their official debut with a single titled ‘Bad Girl Good Girl’, which was a hit among the Korean youth and ‘miss A’ went on promoting the song across the country and towards the end of the year 2010, came another one of their singles titled ‘Breathe’.
- In the middle of 2011, the group came up with their very first album titled ‘Class A’, which was a major commercial and critical success and the group embarked on a nationwide concert to promote their album. For a brief period of time in the same year, the group went on an international tour, including China and came back to Korea with their next venture, a studio album titled ‘Touch’ in early 2012.
- Apart from music, Bae kept herself busy with other activities as well. She was selected to host many award ceremonies and music shows such as ‘Show! Music Core’, ‘M! Countdown’, ‘Seoul Music Awards’ and the ‘Golden Disk Awards’. She was getting popular and acting offers had already started raining down on her.
- In January 2012, Bae made her acting debut with ‘Dream High’, which happened to be a high school drama for SBS. She was then also credited with creating the official OST of the show, titled ‘Winter Child’. The drama became highly popular in Korea and internationally as well, the fan base of the show kept building and at the KBS Drama awards, Suzy won two awards for her performance.
- In 2012, Bae made her film debut with a small role in the film ‘Architecture 101’, where she played the role of younger version of the main female protagonist of the film. The film became a major hit and Bae’s adorable portrayal received a wide spread appreciation for her.
- In 2012, Bae was also seen in a reality TV show, titled ‘Invincible Youth 2’ and a drama ‘Big’. Although she was getting noticed for her works as a musician, she was yet to find a strong footing as an actor. However, for ‘Architecture 101’, she did receive an award for her debut film performance at the Baeksang Arts Awards.
- In 2013, she first appeared in a period action drama titled ‘Gu Family Book’ and her acting was praised widely. Quite naturally, awards followed in the form of MBC Drama awards, where she grabbed the Top Excellence Award, a rare feat for such a young actress. Seoul International Drama awards also honoured her with the Outstanding Actress Award.
- In 2015, Suzy appeared in a period film titled ‘The Sound of a Flower’, which was based on the true story of a woman named Jin Chae-sun, Korea’s very first female Pansori singer. Bae apparently spent one whole year to get well versed with the music form and when the film released, it was received very well.
- In early 2016, Suzy released a single titled ‘Dream’ in collaboration with Baekhyun and the song quickly climbed to the top of many music charts. The Mnet Asian Music Awards honoured the song to be the Best Collaborative effort.
- Suzy then made her TV debut with ‘Uncontrollably Fond’ and also released two songs as the OST for the show. Later in 2016, her wax statue was unveiled in the Madam Tussaud Hong Kong and she officially became the very first Korean celebrity to have her wax idol established in the world famous museum.
- As of 2017, she has been concentrating on her solo musical career and released her debut solo album titled ‘Yes? No?’. Apart from that, she will also resume her acting career with an appearance on the show ‘While You Were Sleeping’, which is one of the most highly awaited shows in South Korea and will go on air in September 2017.
- In March 2015, Bae’s relationship with a fellow South Korean actor Lee Min-ho was confirmed.
- Suzy is too fond of cars and currently drives a BMW Mini cooper, which she purchased as a gift to herself for her 20th birthday. She also gifted a car to her father and has opened a cafe for her mother.
- After her appearance in her debut film ‘Architecture 101’, Bae was nicknamed ‘Korea’s First Love’, for her cute and adorable looks.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed