Ayo Jay Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Ayoola Ogundeyi Jr.
Born Country: England
Born in: London, England
Famous as: Singer
City: London, England
Grouping of People: Black Men
education: Baruch College (2013)
Ayo Jay is a Nigerian singer, and songwriter. He is famous in the music industry as ‘Boy Wonder.’ Jay is known for his unique style of music, where he mixes pop music with the traditional African music. Jay was inclined towards music right from his childhood days, but his parents did not approve of a career in music. When he relocated to the United States to pursue higher education, his passion for music got rekindled and slowly his talent was noticed by music producers. Jay signed a recording contract with the music company, ‘One Nation Entertainment,’ and released the song, ‘Your Number.’ This song was an instant hit, and Jay was applauded by music lovers. The remix of the same song, which he recorded with rapper, Fetty Wap, also garnered immense attention.
- Ayo Jay was born Ayoola Ogundeyi Jr., on August 9, 1989, in London. He grew up with his parents, in Lagos, Nigeria. Not much information is available about his family background. As a child, Jay loved music and song writing, but his parents wanted him to concentrate on his studies. In 2006, Jay graduated from the ‘International School, Lagos.’
- After completing his graduation, Jay moved to the United States, to pursue a degree in finance and investments from the ‘Baruch College,’ in New York City. He worked as an intern at the Wall Street, before getting an exposure in the music industry. While in the United States, Jay started composing music in his spare time. Gradually, his talent started getting noticed.
- In 2011, Ayo Jay started pursuing music as a career. He approached several music composers to release his songs. In 2013, Jay signed a recording contract with the ‘One Nation Entertainment’ to record his singles. He adopted his stage name, ‘Ayo Jay,’ which was the shortened form of his real name.
- In 2013, Jay released his single titled, ‘Don’t Say That.’ In 2014, he recorded the song, ‘Available.’ In 2015, he released the song, ‘Your Number.’ The music video for the song was shot in Atlanta. Later, Jay recorded a remix of the same song, with rapper Fetty Wap. This was a huge success, and helped Jay get noticed in the music world. ‘Your Number’ was re-released by the music company, ‘RCA Records,’ when Jay signed a deal with them.
- In 2016, Jay recorded the songs, ‘Think About Me,’ ‘Ibadi Yen,’ and ‘Fowosere.’ In 2017, he recorded the songs, ‘The Vibe,’ and ‘Want You.’ Jay describes his music as ‘Afro-pop,’ or African popular music, which is a fusion of African music, hip-hop, and R&B. In 2014, Jay won the ‘Nigeria Entertainment Award,’ for the ‘Most Promising Act to Watch.’ In 2016, he won the award for the best ‘Diaspora Artist.’ He is currently having a deal with ‘One Nation Entertainment,’ and ‘RCA Records.’
- Ayo Jay is not married. He has kept his personal life closely guarded, and there is not much public information about this. He is inspired by artists like Akon, Wande Coal, and the Nigerian artist, 2face idibia.
- Jay had offers from labels, such as ‘Star Boy,’ and ‘Empire Mates Entertainment,’ before he signed the contract with ‘One Nation Entertainment.’
- Due to his shy personality, Ayo Jay was initially unsure about making a career in the music industry. He felt that this personality was not suited for a musician.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed