Amancio Ortega Gaona Biography
Sun Sign: Aries
Born in: Busdongo de Arbás, León
Famous as: Entrepreneur
Spouse/Ex-: Flora Pérez (m. 2001), Rosalía Mera (m. 1966–1986)
children: Marcos Ortega Mera, Marta Ortega, Sandra Ortega Mera
Founder/Co-Founder: Fundación Amancio Ortega, Confecciones Goa, Zara, Inditex
Amancio Ortega, born as Amancio Ortega Gaona, is a Spanish business tycoon best recognized as the founder of the Inditex fashion group, parent company of the famous fashion brand ZARA that has more than 6000 stores in over 65 countries. As of January 2018, Ortega had acquired a net worth of about $77.6 billion, making him the richest man in Europe, and the fourth richest in the world. He is also the wealthiest merchant in the world. Ortega, who earns more than $400 million in dividends every year, has investments in an ever-expanding real estate portfolio that includes buildings in New York, Miami, London, Barcelona, Chicago, and Madrid. On a personal note, the American entrepreneur is a media-shy person. This is the reason most people are unaware of him despite the fact that he is the founder of one of the world’s top fashion labels! Ortega, who is currently married to his second wife Flora Pérez Marcote, has three children including Sandra Ortega Mera.
- Amancio Ortega began his career as a shop hand for a shirt maker called Gala and learned to make clothes by hand. He then founded Confecciones Goa in 1972 and began selling quilted bathrobes. Three years later, he, along with his first wife, Rosalía, opened the first Zara store. The store was a success and this motivated Ortega to open several more Zara stores across Spain in the following decade. The label Zara is part of the Inditex group.
- In 2011, Ortega announced his retirement from the Inditex Group, the parent company of the Zara chain. The following year, he donated about €20 million to the Roman Catholic relief organisation, Caritas Internationalis.
- Today, the Inditex Group owns several other renowned brands besides Zara, such as Zara Home, Massimo Dutti, Oysho, and Pull and Bear. It has over 90,000 workers.
- Ortega is also the proud owner of the Torre Picasso, Spain’s tallest skyscraper worth $536 million. He has his own equestrian center and a private jet as well.
- Amancio Ortega was born on 28 March 1936 in Busdongo de Arbás, León, Spain, to Antonio Ortega Rodríguez and Josefa Gaona Hernández as the youngest of their four kids. He spent his childhood days in León. At the age of 14, he left his school and moved to A Coruña due to his father’s job.
- Talking about Ortega’s love life, he married his first wife Rosalía Mera in 1966. The couple got divorced in 1986. After this, the businessman went on to marry his second wife Flora Pérez Marcote in the year 2001. Today, Ortega is the father of three kids: Sandra Ortega Mera, Marta Ortega Pérez and Marcos Ortega Mera.
- He is known to be a down-to-earth man who stays away from the media glare. Ortega normally wears gray pants with a white shirt and blue blazer to work, none of which are Zara products. The Spanish business tycoon does not believe in wearing a tie. He also takes his meals at work in the company’s cafeteria along with his workers.
- Ortega loves to go for horseback riding in his leisure time.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed