Abby Lee Miller Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Born in: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Famous as: Dance Instructor, Reality TV Judge
father: George Miller
mother: Maryen Lorrain
U.S. State: Pennsylvania
City: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Abby Lee Miller is one of America’s widely recognized reality TV faces. She is a dance teacher, choreographer and reality dance show judge. Taking inspiration from her mother, who happens to be a dance teacher, she learned the basics of dancing in her mother’s dance academy. Multiple trips to several dance competitions shaped her psyche in a way that she started dancing as the only way to express her in the best way possible.
She is known to be quite strict with her students and remains a controversial figure due to the harsh language she uses for her students and the participants of her dance based reality TV show ‘Dance Moms’. But that doesn’t mess with her popularity. She is considered an ideal figure as far as dancing is concerned. Despite being a popular personality, she has had her shares of controversies. From her weight gain surgeries to the complaints regarding her violent behavior, she has it all. But she keeps her head in the right place and continues to influence thousands to pursue dancing as a profession.
- Her mother ran dance academies in Pennsylvania and Abby received her initial training there in her mother’s able guidance. Although she was a gifted dancer, she never considered herself to be a great performer, mostly due to her weight.
- She opened a dance academy in her name while she was just a teenager in 1980. She admits that she always knew she wasn’t quite satisfied with the way she looks and she is better off training younger blood than performing herself. Abby has admitted that she has trained close to 3000-4000 students in her lifetime.
- Abby’s students kept earning name and fame in several reality TV shows and competitions and her popularity kept increasing. Eventually, her fame as a dance teacher rose to its very threshold and she ended up becoming one of the sought after dance teachers in the country, popular for her unusual ways of motivating her students.
- A twist of fate had her taking centre stage in Lifetime television network’s ‘Dance Moms’, a dance based reality show. The show follows Miller’s young dancing pupils and their onstage mothers as they compete with one another. The show is immensely popular and helped Abby become a common household name in entire North America.
- Abby Miller was born on 21st September 1966 to Maryen Lorrian and George Miller at Pittsburgh. She was quite an outgoing kid. With dancing as her passion, she kept practicing and participating in several competitions at school level. She participated in several other extracurricular activities which further exhibited her penchant for showmanship.
- Abby admits that she has been single almost all her life and her weight is the main culprit for her low self esteem.
- She is quite secretive about her childhood and believes in keeping her past in the past. Abby is on the all time high of her career as she keeps inspiring millions throughout the world.
- Critics have constantly slammed Abby for her controversial ways and the abusive manner that she ‘motivates’ her students with. Several humanitarians have raised their voice against her methods and yet she keeps doing it.
- She received a lot of flak for her ‘top secret’ surgery for losing weight.
- Abby constantly lands herself in legal troubles. In December 2010, she filed for bankruptcy and it turned out that she owed more than USD 400,000 as taxes. One of the dancers on her show filed a case against her for physical assault. In 2015, Miller was taken into police custody for fraud.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed