Zain Asher Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Zain Ejiofor Asher
Born in: Balham, London Borough of Wandsworth
Famous as: News Anchor, Journalist
Spouse/Ex-: Steve Peoples
father: Arinze Ejiofor
mother: Obiajulu Ejiofor
siblings: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kandibe Ejiofor
City: London, England
education: Keble College, Oxford, University of Oxford, Columbia University
Zain Asher is a Nigerian British news anchor and journalist. She currently works as the newscaster for CNN International’s CNN Newsroom weekdays at 2:30pm ET. Previously, she anchored CNN Newsroom on CNN America and had also worked at local channels in Nigeria, France, and Mexico. Being one of the most skilled women reporters of color in New York City, Asher has already won the hearts of millions with her natural reporting skills. She is also extremely adept when it comes to broadcast journalism, online journalism, news writing, and story-telling. The younger sister of Nigerian British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, Asher has her roots in the Enugu state of Ezeagu LGA in Nigeria from where her family originates. Born and raised in England, she went on to attend Oxford University and Columbia University before starting her career as a journalist. Highly successful as a news anchor, she has worked for numerous prestigious channels across the world. Despite being a famous journalist, Asher has maintained a low-profile when it comes to her personal life. She is moderately active on social media with a personal Twitter handle.
- Zain Asher started her career as a journalist by working for local channels in Nigeria, Mexico, and France. During the early phase of her career, she also worked as a general assignment reporter for News 12, covering stories from Brooklyn and Connecticut. She then worked with MONEY Magazine, writing columns in the fields of career and investment.
- After establishing herself as a popular news anchor, Asher went on to join CNN in 2013 as a business correspondent. Initially, she covered news from New York Stock Exchange and the U.S. Federal Reserve, and also conducted interviews with popular entrepreneurs and businessmen. As for now, the news anchor is based in New York City and works from CNN’s headquarters in Atlanta. She anchors ‘CNN Newsroom’ that airs during the weekdays at 2:30pm ET on the network. Her other projects include hosting the show ‘Marketplace Africa’ on CNNI. Besides these, Asher also contributes to ‘Money Magazine’ as a business and finance writer.
- Talking about her most remarkable work so far, she received much acclaim for her coverage of the ruthless kidnapping of Nigerian schoolgirls by Boko Haram group in 2014. Her in-depth coverage of the devastating earthquake of Nepal in 2015 was also appreciated by the industry experts.
- Zain Asher was born on August 27, 1983 in Balham, London Borough of Wandsworth, England, to Arinze Ejiofor, a doctor, and Obiajulu, a pharmacist. She has an elder brother, Chiwetel Ejiofor, who is a well-known actor. She also has a sister whose name is Kandibe. She is of Igbo ancestry and her family hails from Enugu state, Ezeagu LGA, Nigeria.
- Asher attended Oxford University, graduating with B.A. degree in French and Spanish in 2005. She then earned a degree from Graduate School of Journalism of Columbia University in 2006.
- Talking about her love life, the anchor got engaged to her then-boyfriend, Steve Peoples, in April 2016. The couple tied the knot on September 30, 2017 in a private wedding ceremony in New York. Steve has been serving as a political reporter for The Associated Press for the past several years.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed