Vanessa Bryant Biography
Sun Sign: Taurus
Also Known As: Vanessa Laine Bryant, Vanessa Cornejo Urbieta
Born Country: United States
Born in: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Famous as: Kobe Bryant's Wife, Model
Height: 1.65 m
Spouse/Ex-: Kobe Bryant (m. 2001)
father: Stephen Laine (Stepfather)
mother: Sofia Urbieta
siblings: Sophie (Older Sister)
children: Bianka Bella Bryant, Gianna Maria-Onore Bryant, Natalia Diamante Bryant
U.S. State: California
Vanessa Marie Bryant is an American model of Mexican descent. She is the wife of late Kobe Bryant, the great NBA star. She was still a senior at her high school when Kobe, already an established star with the Los Angeles Lakers, announced their engagement. Thrust into the spotlight overnight, she would gradually develop herself to be more than a mere side-note to her husband’s nearly mythical story. As for her marriage, it over the years withstood a sexual assault charge against Kobe and a filing for divorce which was later dropped. Inevitably, she became the subject of contradictory sentiments in the public sphere right alongside her husband, admired at one instant, and disdained at the next. As active members of the community, she along with her late husband, supported several charitable causes, including their own ‘The Kobe & Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation,’ an organization dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need, both domestically and globally.
- Bryant was born as Vanessa Cornejo Urbieta on May 5, 1982, in Huntington Beach, California to Mexican parents. She was three years old when her parents divorced and her mother, Sophia Urbieta, raised her by herself, holding two jobs at once. In 1990, Sophia married Stephen Laine, whose surname Vanessa took in 2000 despite not being officially adopted by Laine. She has an older sister named Sophie.
- As a teenager, Vanessa met Kobe who was pursuing a side career in music back then, while filming for a music video for the hip-hop group 'Tha Eastsidaz' as a backup dancer. Soon enough, he was sending roses to Marina High where she studied and picking her up after school. On her 18th birthday, the pair made the news of their engagement public. They married on April 18, 2001.
- Kobe’s parents, his siblings, other members of his immediate family, and even his teammates at the Lakers did not attend the ceremony. Later, his father and former NBA star Joe "Jellybean" Bryant would admit in an interview that they disapproved their son’s choice of a bride. Kobe later revealed that it was because she was a Latina. The birth of Vanessa and Kobe’s first daughter, Natalia Diamante, in January 2003, healed some of these wounds.
- Vanessa always has been a fiercely guarded individual. Initially, following Kobe’s announcement of their engagement, she was overwhelmed by the television news crews at her doorstep and the helicopters hovering over her school. She even quit school to avoid being swept over by the media frenzy and received her degree independently. These days it is a completely different story. She is the embodiment of a perfect sports star wife, attending games and accompanying her husband to social events.
- Vanessa gave birth to their second daughter, Giana Maria-Onore, in 2006. She filed for divorce on December 16, 2011, citing irreconcilable differences. The couple appealed for joint custody of their two daughters. However, on January 11, 2013, they revealed on social media—she on Instagram, he on Facebook—that they have called off the divorce proceedings. Their third daughter, Bianka Bella, was born in 2016.
- In 2003, six months after Natalia’s birth, Kobe faced sexual assault charges filed by a 19-years-old employee of a hotel in Colorado. He had checked into 'The Lodge and Spa' at Cordillera on June 30, 2003, as he was having a surgery nearby two days later. The woman claimed that Kobe had raped her in his hotel room on the night before the surgery. While at first he maintained that he did not have any form of sexual encounter with the woman, he later said that it was consensual, but still vehemently denied the rape allegations.
- On July 26, Vanessa and Kobe held a press conference together, where a tearful Bryant admitted to cheating on his wife. Vanessa, in turn, while acknowledging her husband’s infidelity, said that they wished to deal with the issue “within their marriage.” The case was eventually dropped, only days before it went to trial when Bryant’s alleged victim refused to testify in the court. She did launch a civil action suit against Kobe soon after, which was settled out of court. In 2005, Vanessa suffered a miscarriage due to tubal pregnancy. In a Showtime documentary, Kobe wondered if the stress from the 2003 ordeal had anything to do with the miscarriage.
- In 2004, she accused her husband’s teammate Karl Malone of behaving inappropriately with her. This led to a heated phone call where Kobe told Malone to stay away from his wife.
- The couple faced another lawsuit in 2009, this time by their former housekeeper Maria Jimenez, who accused Vanessa of "badgering, harassing and humiliating” her repeatedly. The Bryants filed a counterclaim, stating that Jimenez had violated a confidentiality agreement when she decided to discuss their private affairs in public. It, too, was settled out of court.
- On January 26, 2020, Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, died in a tragic helicopter crash in Calabasas, California.
- Vanessa is also known by her nickname, Ness.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed