Troye Sivan Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Also Known As: Troye Sivan Mellet
Born in: Johannesburg, South Africa
Famous as: Singer, Actor
father: Shaun Mellet
mother: Laurelle Mellet
siblings: Sage Mellet, Steele Mellet, Tyde Mellet
Troye Sivan is a young artist known for his prowess in both the singing and acting arenas. A South African-born Australian, the multi-talented guy has already made titular appearances in major movies such as the ‘X-Men’ film ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’ and the ‘Spud’ film trilogy. As a singer-songwriter, he released the EP ‘TRXYE’, which peaked at #5 on the U.S. Billboard 200. Interested in music from an early age, he was encouraged by his parents to pursue his passion. He began his musical career even before hitting his teens with performances in the ‘Channel Seven Perth Telethon.’ It was not long before he caught the public’s fancy with his good looks, acting skills, and amazing voice. Soon enough he became a teenage sensation with fan followings not just in Australia but also across the globe. The release of his debut album in 2015 catapulted the young man to even greater success. In addition to being an actor and a singer, Troye is also a highly popular YouTube personality with millions of followers.
- Sivan’s singing career began to take off in 2006 when he was part of a duet performance with the winner of the ‘Australian Idol’, Guy Sebastian. He also made it to the finals of ‘StarSearch 2007’ and led the performance for ‘We Are the World 25 for Haiti’, a charity event dedicated to the victims of the Haiti earthquake in 2010. Troye’s initial success as an actor was when he appeared in ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’, which came out in 2008. He then starred in a major role in the ‘Spud’ trilogy. In 2013, he signed on with a major Australian label, and then later released a five song EP called ‘TRYXE’ in 2014. The lead song on this album ‘Happy Little Pill’ turned out to be phenomenally popular and topped the charts in several nations across the world, racing to the top 10 on the US Billboard 200. The song was so successful that it was awarded gold status by the Australian Recording Industry Association. Accolades started to flow in for him as he won the Teen’s Choice Award and also became part of the elite band of "25 Most Influential Teens of 2014" as named by ‘Time Magazine.’ Through the launch of his album – ‘Blue Neighborhood’ (2015), Troye Sivan gained much fame especially with the success of the single – ‘Youth’ which was part of the same album. The year 2015 also saw Troye Sivan going on his first tour referred to as ‘Troye Sivan Live.’ This tour set the pace for two more tours at the start of 2016 – the ‘Blue Neighborhood Tour’ and also the ‘Suburbia Tour.’ These tours established Troye Sivan as a singing sensation on the world stage. He was nominated for the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards Breakthrough Long Form Video for his ‘Blue Neighborhood’ trilogy.
- Troye Sivan is openly gay and he came out publicly via a YouTube video on 7 August 2013. Already a popular public figure by then, his coming out greatly helped other gay youngsters in accepting their own sexuality. He has been cited as an inspiration by several gay young men who were struggling with their sexual identities. His video helped him bond more with his fans who greatly admired him for being a role model in inspiring the gay youth to come out to their peers and family.
- In addition to being a popular singer and actor, the talented young man is also a prominent YouTube personality with his own video blogs on the video sharing site. Already a famous personality at the time of creating the video blogs, he collected tens of thousands of followers pretty quickly. His YouTube channel is the third most subscribed channel in Australia, after HowToBasic and Planet Dolan. His video ‘The Boyfriend Tag’, which he made with fellow YouTuber Tyler Oakley earned the duo a Teen Choice Award in the "Choice Web Collaboration" category.
- He was born Troye Sivan Mellet to South African parents of Jewish faith in Johannesburg and the family subsequently moved to Australia for safety reasons. Along with his three siblings, he currently lives with his family in the Western Australian city of Perth. Troye attended Carmel school after which he started pursuing distance education. He realized that he was gay when he was around 15. Thankfully, his family was supportive and he also escaped the bullying that several other homosexual youngsters go through at school. At the age of 18, he made a coming-out video in which he announced to his fans that he was gay. He is said to be dating his friend Connor Franta, though neither of the guys have confirmed this.
Troye Sivan Movies
1. Boy Erased (2018)
2. Spud (2010)
3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
(Adventure, Sci-Fi, Action, Thriller)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed