Tom Franco Biography
Sun Sign: Aries
Also Known As: Thomas Andrew Franco
Born Country: United States
Born in: Palo Alto, California
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Iris Torres, Julia Lazar Franco (m. 2014–2014)
father: Douglas Eugene Franco
mother: Betsy Franco
U.S. State: California
City: Palo Alto, California
Notable Alumni: University Of California--Santa Cruz
education: University of California Santa Cruz, Palo Alto High School, California College of the Arts
Tom Franco is an American actor and artist who founded the Berkeley’s Firehouse Art Collective. He is best recognized as the brother of popular actors Dave and James Franco. As an actor, he has contributed to a number of successful films and documentaries including ‘The Disaster Artist’, ‘Metamorphosis: Junior Year’ and ‘Basket Case 2’. Born in Palo Alto, California to a writer and an entrepreneur, Franco developed a love for painting in his childhood. As a teenager, he took figure-drawing classes at a local art center. He eventually majored in fine art from University of California, Santa Cruz and later enrolled at California College of the Arts to study ceramics. Shortly after, Franco dropped out of the college and collaborated with some of his coursemates to launch Firehouse Art Collective. Seeing his brothers thrive in the entertainment industry, he also started acting in the 1990s.
- Tom Franco made his acting debut in the 1990 comedy horror film ‘Basket Case 2’. Written by Frank Henenlotter, it was the sequel to the 1982 film ‘Basket Case.’ The movie starred Kevin Van Hentenryck, Heather Rattray, Annie Ross, Kathryn Meisle, Ted Sorel and Jason Evers. In 2005, he had a role in ‘A Peace of History’. Two years later, Franco featured in Josh Monkarsh’s ‘The Devil Wears a Toupee’.
- In 2017, he appeared in his brother James Franco’s biographical comedy flick ‘The Disaster Artist’. The movie tells the story of the unlikely friendship between actors Sestero and Tommy Wiseau which results in the development of the latter’s 2003 movie ‘The Room’, widely regarded as one of the worst movies ever made. That year, Tom Franco also had a role in ‘Metamorphosis: Junior Year’, a movie about a young artist who uses drawings and mythology to understand the world around him.
- Besides being an actor, Tom Franco is also the co-director and founder of Berkeley’s Firehouse Art Collective. He once shared the directorship of this venture with his late first wife Julia Lazar Franco.
- Tom Franco was born on April 14, 1980 in Palo Alto, California, USA to writer cum occasional actor Betsy Lou and Silicon Valley entrepreneur and philanthropist Douglas Eugene Franco. He is the middle of their three kids, and has two brothers, James and Dave Franco, both of whom are actors.
- Tom Franco graduated from Palo Alto High School in 1998. He later studied fine art at the University of California, Santa Cruz. After graduating, he majored in ceramics from College of the Arts in Oakland, California.
- Talking about his personal life, Franco married Julia Lazar in 2014. The couple worked together at the Firehouse Art Collective. Franco married Lazar in a hospital solarium where she was being treated for cancer and hepatitis C. She died as a result of liver failure a month after their wedding. A year later, Franco married Iris Torres. He is known to be a reserved person and rarely makes appearances at media events.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed